Galley cabinet curved doors

Clodi

Featured Posts

I'm toying with the idea of having curved cabinets in the galley & whilst I'm quite happy making my own cabinets the doors are a bit beyond me.I know lots of people simply use domestic kitchen units and wondered if anyone has sourced good quality curved cabinet doors?

My thinking is once I have the doors I'll make the cabinets to fit ( probably out of good quality marine ply)

Hopefully to achieve something rather like this but with curved cabinets

image.png.3ef302d345cc1a968c5533861b528a5c.png

Magnet and Cook & Lewis (B&Q) are two mainstream suppliers of curved cabinet doors but you might well find they’re all 90 degree curves. 

If you fancy making your own there’s a simple method:

https://www.popularwoodworking.com/projects/aw-extra-12513-making-curved-doors/

1 hour ago, WotEver said:

Magnet and Cook & Lewis (B&Q) are two mainstream suppliers of curved cabinet doors but you might well find they’re all 90 degree curves. 

If you fancy making your own there’s a simple method:

https://www.popularwoodworking.com/projects/aw-extra-12513-making-curved-doors/

I've seen similar products by chilterntimber.co.uk which I thought  may use for the cabinets  but I think the doors may be above my pay grade ?

There was a company in the tent at Crick several years ago that made nothing but curved doors but this nugget is of singularly no use as I have no idea what their name was unless it jogs someone’s memory?

• Haha 1

On 21/01/2019 at 09:38, Clodi said:

I'm toying with the idea of having curved cabinets in the galley & whilst I'm quite happy making my own cabinets the doors are a bit beyond me

They are actually surprisingly easy to make using very thin plywood (3mm), a form, plenty of a decent wood glue and laminate your own curves - lots of clamps and a wallpaper steamer will help immensely.

It also helps if all the curves want to be the same, so you don't need different forms.  Or you could just cheat and use bendy ply ...

Edit to add:

You may need to make the form radius tighter than the finished doors depending on the ply you use, but knock up a test sample about 3" high before making a 3' door to experiment.

Edited by TheBiscuits