Max persons underway

Captain Beaky

Featured Posts

The RCD Requirements :

6 STABILITY, BUOYANCY and LOADING
Maximum number of persons
From ER 2.2, the Builders Plate shall include the - number of persons recommended by the manufacturer
for which the boat was designed to carry when underway.
ER 2.2 requires that the manufacturer’s maximum recommended number of persons that the boat is
designed to carry when underway is shown on the Builders Plate, and according to ER 2.5 this number
must also be stated in the Owner’s Manual. This maximum recommended number of persons is also an
important piece of information to be incorporated in the stability and buoyancy calculations.
The maximum number of persons may be limited by either or both, the amount of practical seating
space available or the maximum weight that can be safely carried, both of which need to be applied.
The harmonised standard BS EN ISO 14946:2001 Maximum Load capacity defines a ‘seat’ as any surface
where a person may sit with minimum dimensions of 400 mm width by 750 mm length, i.e. depth of the
seat plus clear space for legs in front of the seat, and recommends that the width be 500 mm. For cases
where a seat is not provided it defines ‘seating area’ as clear cockpit sole space of area 750 mm by 500
mm for each person. For small boats and dinghies the deck area beside the cockpit may be considered
as the seats.
The maximum recommended number of persons must not exceed the number of seats/seating spaces
available when measured according to these definitions. However for larger boats the sensible limit on
the number of persons is likely to be far less than the number from a calculation based on the available
area.

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

If you are spending that money on a new boat then you just tell the builder you want it built to accommodate 8 or even 10 if that's what you want. There is probably no difference to one plated for 4

Exactly what we did. Peter Mason at Braidbar was mildly surprised but saw why we wanted it. He just had to include that number in his calcs in the Technical Manual re stability (and buoyancy, I guess, though that’s hardly an issue in a 70’ narrowboat).

10 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

In which case why does it say "underway"?

You tell your boatbuilder you want a 4 berth boat and they stick 4 on the plate tell them you want 10 berth and they stick a 10 on the plate not the maximum the stability test will support, that could be 15

12 hours ago, Matt&Jo said:

I too worried about this for a familly cruise until i checked the plate 10 persons....had 13 on there and it was totaly fine no different to handle or control and the extras got off to crew at locks anyhow ?

The sub-30ft day boats allow ten or twelve people on board, so I can't see any reasonable number being a problem on a 50ft+ narrowboat.  So if you are doing the RCD yourself, put any realistic number you like on it.

3 hours ago, dor said:

The sub-30ft day boats allow ten or twelve people on board, so I can't see any reasonable number being a problem on a 50ft+ narrowboat.  So if you are doing the RCD yourself, put any realistic number you like on it.

And if you are having one built make sure you specify it before the paperwork is done