Where to dump rubbish/building waste?

Rainyday

Featured Posts

Is there some kind of agreement for narrowboaters to be able to use local recycling centres? The boat is not anywhere near my home address and I've got a tonne of things to dispose of, old flooring, old bathroom etc. I'll need to hire a van or if very local can do trips in my teeny car.  Any advice? (I'm in Croxley Green, nw London), thanks! 

Your nearest household waste recycling centres are in either Rickmansworth or Garston in North Watford. As far as I know there are no checks on whether you are a resident or not. However, if you hire a van you will have to apply for a van permit which is quick and online but you do have to supply a home address. The recycling centre in Rickmansworth is very close to the canal so you could maybe move a little closer to it and use your car?

Our nearest tip claims to have ANPR cameras and claim they will challenge anyone visiting whose vehicle is registered outside their council area.  The tip I use (different council area) says you must have proof of address, but I have never been asked, though they do challenge vans as they are considered to potentially be commercial and not allowed to use a residential facility.  If you have a lot of stuff have you considered a skip? 

added.   A skip filled and taken same day may be similar cost to van hire for a weekend, though it’s quite a few years since I paid for a skip.  A local boat yard might let you use their skip for a price.

Edited by Chewbacka

Skips have got really pricey of late. I recently hired three one after the other (should have hired one much bigger one but anyway...) and they were over £160 a time, and that’s in The Midlands. I’d imagine London prices would be higher. 

8 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Skips have got really pricey of late. I recently hired three one after the other (should have hired one much bigger one but anyway...) and they were over £160 a time, and that’s in The Midlands. I’d imagine London prices would be higher.

Didn't realise they were now that expensive, just looked on-line and even a little 2 yd skip is £145 in Wiltshire, explains why councils are getting strict on 'out of region' and commercial vehicles.

Just now, Chewbacka said:

Didn't realise they were now that expensive, just looked on-line and even a little 2 yd skip is £145 in Wiltshire, explains why councils are getting strict on 'out of region' and commercial vehicles.

And also explains the proliferation of fly tipping. 

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Lysander said:

Your nearest household waste recycling centres are in either Rickmansworth or Garston in North Watford. As far as I know there are no checks on whether you are a resident or not. However, if you hire a van you will have to apply for a van permit which is quick and online but you do have to supply a home address. The recycling centre in Rickmansworth is very close to the canal so you could maybe move a little closer to it and use your car?

Thanks, I'll check those out. I have friends who live in the area so their address could possibly work if they're checking maybe ?

1 hour ago, Chewbacka said:

A local boat yard might let you use their skip for a price.

Good idea - I'll phone some in the direction I'm heading ?

I did a tip run last week - to dispose of stuff in storage and odds n sods as well as several oil changes worth of oil.

hired a van for this purpose, turned up and was told they'll let me off today but in future  i'll need a permit - applied for this using a friends address and went back the next day for another load - with the oil. i had about 30 litres worth but was told there's an 8l limit per year or pay £5 cash per litre on the excess- more than the new cost - i still have that excess oil.  and they wonder why tipping is on the increase! (they took my permit details and reg down to keep a record)

Our tip doesn’t record oil qty, but the design of the waste oil container makes it impossible to empty anything larger than a standard 5l oil container, and you are not allowed to use a funnel or pipe etc from a large container.  So I go about 3 times a year with 2x5l containers which I take home after emptying.

They are friendly people working there but they watch everybody and often make people open their bags for general waste and sort recyclable stuff.  

1 hour ago, Chewbacka said:

They are friendly people working there.

I have noticed that people with whom I come into contact who do what some would consider to be bloody awful jobs - dustbinmen, council dump recycling workers, the chap who pumps out our septic tank with his turdtanker twice a year - are unfailingly cheerful, often more so than people who do apparently more pleasant jobs. I wonder why.

I agree. 

Presently as a single, retired, retired C/T payer I pay £1650 + pa . I pay an additional £35 for garden waste.  For this the two obvious benefits I receive are a library service and a waste collection service. (yes i know that I get a number of 'hidden' benefits). I don't get any 'rebates' and nor do I expect any. I worked b####y hard for 40 odd years wnd wound up with a pension. It just gets on my t##t when I see people complaining about having to pay for a service or looking for ways of not paying. 

Frank

I happen to know that Rickie dump will happily take your building waste if you pay

Rant over

Edited by Slim

• 2 months later...
On 21/01/2019 at 15:13, Chewbacka said:

They are friendly people working there

Not at the Millhams Lane Tip in Bournemouth, you find that they are a bunch of jack booted little Hitlers who throw their weight round.  

https://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/17513321.woman-accused-of-stealing-at-millhams-tip/

8 minutes ago, nbfiresprite said:

Not at the Millhams Lane Tip in Bournemouth, you find that they are a bunch of jack booted little Hitlers who throw their weight round.  

https://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/17513321.woman-accused-of-stealing-at-millhams-tip/

That’s disgraceful. And the ‘justification’ from the spokesperson demonstrates that the attitude comes from the top. 

30 minutes ago, WotEver said:

That’s disgraceful. And the ‘justification’ from the spokesperson demonstrates that the attitude comes from the top. 

Following that to its logical conclusion the council are claiming to own anything in your car, as it hadn't touched the ground and was being handed straight over.

As councils usually require proof of local residency, it seems logical that non-residents should be able to pay to use the tip; visitors should be able to buy tokens to use at a tip in a location away from their home address.  It's hardly environmentally friendly if the 'customer' has to add carbon miles to their rubbish just to get it back to their home address.

Just a thought.

1 minute ago, Murflynn said:

As councils usually require proof of local residency, it seems logical that non-residents should be able to pay to use the tip; visitors should be able to buy tokens to use at a tip in a location away from their home address.  It's hardly environmentally friendly if the 'customer' has to add carbon miles to their rubbish just to get it back to their home address.

Just a thought.

You would think that, But then common sense and councils rarely go together.