Next problem ?

Tatguy

Featured Posts

Ok so i now know my engine is a series 2 2and a quarter engine 

Thanks for your help with that guys my next issue is my lug has broken of the manifold ive added a pic do tou know of any company that referbs welds them its alloy so im having issues finding someone 

Thanks in advance 

IMG-20190120-WA0002.jpeg

Try Slinden.  They may only do cast iron, but their website also mentions alloy work.

http://www.castironweldingrepairs.co.uk/

Or posssibly Angell. 

Email: info@angellwelding.co.uk

Welding or brazing  aluminium alloy is, as the cousins say, something of a crapshoot.  It helps to know the  deatils of the alloy that needs welding and that is not normally the case, so you have to guess what sort of filler rod to use.

Something like Lumiweld may also be a possibility, but you need to get some scrap ally items together and practise, practice practice before tackling anyhting important.  Aluminium alloys have a nasty ability to suddenly melt without any apparent warning.

N

That looks difficult. If welding doesn't work I think I would try to find a stub of pipe that is a tight push fit in the head and the heat exchanger, if you can find something that fits it could be an effective repair, worth a try anyway.

1 hour ago, Tatguy said:

Thanks for your help with that guys my next issue is my lug has broken of the manifold

That is not part of the engine, it is a heat exchanger supplied as part of the marinization kit.

If you speak to some marinization people they may be able to point you in the right direction.

It is worth trying to repair it as you will be looking at £650-£1200 to replace it.

I think Lancing Marine sell the Bowman Heat Exchangers

https://www.lancingmarine.com/pricebookpages/page20.html

Bowman Spares (Look for the LR025 Body)

https://www.ejbowman.co.uk/lang/en/products/SparesCombinedManifold.htm

Edited by Alan de Enfield

29 minutes ago, Bee said:

That looks difficult. If welding doesn't work I think I would try to find a stub of pipe that is a tight push fit in the head and the heat exchanger, if you can find something that fits it could be an effective repair, worth a try anyway.

I think the same.  Welding that up to be able to withstand bolt tightening will be a tricky job.A piece of steel pipe made to be a push fit in both sections and held in place with Locktite or exhaust putty would be easier  ( and cheaper )

3 hours ago, Mad Harold said:

I think the same.  Welding that up to be able to withstand bolt tightening will be a tricky job.A piece of steel pipe made to be a push fit in both sections and held in place with Locktite or exhaust putty would be easier  ( and cheaper )

Agreed,a good tight fit ,new gaskets,and a good gasket sealant,Jobs a good,un!!?Also level out the damage to the centre stub with JB Weld or equivalent ,no need for welding.?

Edited by Ian F B
Info

You could try a local motor overhaul company. Plenty of engineering companies / fabricators out there who would be able to repair this. 

However it will need machining across the faces to ensure it is flat after welding.

I have all facilities to machine and a good local welder but based near Bath.

If you want help pm me for contact details

Had a company near me in Callington Cornwall virtually re-manufacture a water pump for a 1931 Humber car I owned. Craftsmen able to do the sort of thing you need are about you just have to search them out. Many don`t need to advertise.

Good Luck

My BMC flywheel housing has at some time had the mounting foot broken off and welded, its been fine for the last 20 years that I have had the boat.

A good welder will sort it.

I've had gear/flywheel cases for Delta gearboxes repaired when they have fractured right across through the bearings and they are fine.