Boat builder enquiry

Rory_d

Featured Posts

Is it normal practice for a boat builder to line over the steel deck at the front with fibreglass? 

My deck all beit steel it has got a fibreglass liner over the top, the fibreglass has been done professionally in my opinion purely by the way it has been finished off around the edges .

The fiberglass has split over the years and unfortunately the steel work underneath is totally rotten meaning I’ve got to replace the whole deck but that’s another story.

was thinking if this is or was normal practice for certain builders in the 80s it could potentially lead us to a specific builder

I'd say its a springer hull which originally had a composite/GRP cabin on it which has been replaced by steel cabin. Not sure whats happened with the deck but maybe grp was added for a non slip effect ? 

I it was a grp cabin originally that might make sense. 

Plus there were other shell builders around who used similar build techniques to springers for obvious reasons. 

The stern dollies look like a recent addition. 

Edited by magnetman

The boat was definitely all steel, reason for this is the welding matches exactly to the hull, also the factory undercoat is identical inside throughout.

the only fibreglass is the on the front deck

11 hours ago, Rory_d said:

The boat was definitely all steel, reason for this is the welding matches exactly to the hull, also the factory undercoat is identical inside throughout.

the only fibreglass is the on the front deck

I would say someone bodged a rotten deck