Boat builder enquiry

Rory_d

Featured Posts

Hi all,

following a a couple of people seeing my boat one of whom is a surveyor they have told me that in fact my boat isn’t a springer it is a Harborough marine 1980s build.

i has another visit today from the surveyor who again looked all over it and the framework in the hull.

i have looked online and the front of the boat is identical to the Harborough marine boats I’ve seen on google . 

My question now is the canal and river trust   Website says mine is a springer. The surveyor said it was probably put on an old survey or boat safety that it was a springer leading the previous owners to believe this,

Does anybody know what I need to do to get this incorrect information changed if not where do I stand??

CRT  get their information from owners, so it's likely that the information could have been inaccurate from a previous one. CRT do not verify boat details given except to check insurance details occasionally.

Your Harborough could also be a Fernie!!

The easiest way to tell this is if you have tubular hand rails. If the upstand is an upside down triangle it's a Fernie not a Harborough.

Interestingly I thought you could use CRT's online licensing system to correct or modify details of your boat(s).

However having just tried it for one of mine, it seems the majority of the fields are greyed out and will not accept input.

I can't for example correct the power of "Sickle's" engine from the 33HP one it used to have to the 22hP one it has now.

Also I can't see the builders name displayed anywhere on the screen I am presented with, even though I know CRT hold it (or used to hold it?) on their records.

In fact, other than the name of the boat, and insurance details, it doesn't appera there is much it would let me change.

Most odd!

19 minutes ago, Graham Davis said:

Can you post a photo of your boat?
And is it V bottomed?

It Is a v but extremely shallow 

11 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Interestingly I thought you could use CRT's online licensing system to correct or modify details of your boat(s).

However having just tried it for one of mine, it seems the majority of the fields are greyed out and will not accept input.

I can't for example correct the power of "Sickle's" engine from the 33HP one it used to have to the 22hP one it has now.

Also I can't see the builders name displayed anywhere on the screen I am presented with, even though I know CRT hold it (or used to hold it?) on their records.

In fact, other than the name of the boat, and insurance details, it doesn't appera there is much it would let me change.

Most odd!

Il ring the crt  Monday and see what they say 

1 minute ago, alan_fincher said:

Has any Harborough boat ever had a V bottom, even a shallow one?

I've never heard of it, I think.

Please post a picture or two.

Thts why I beilieved it was a springer but people who have seen it argue otherwise,

according to the surveyor the v bottom is way too shallow for a springer, the sides at the bottom slope in at about 20 degrees then the base is about 10 degrees to the Center . Il see if I’ve got a photo 

22 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Most odd!

It seems reasonable to me that you can not change most of the details online - most of them will never change in a boat's lifetime.  

The one that caught me out was air draught.  I could not make an online passage booking for the Liverpool Link as that  was empty, so I just guessed at a number lower than the maximum quoted for air draught on the link.  This worked fine and I thought no more about it until trying to make a booking for Standedge Tunnel - the guessed at number was too big to fit in the tunnel so I went to change it and discovered I couldn't do it online!

One phone call to CRT sorted it out though, as they can alter it at their end - it's a restriction on the website, not on their main computer system.

Here’s a pic of it that was from the original advert, I will get some more when I return to the boat.

the front of the boat has got an upwards sweep to it plus it hasn’t got the dodgy moustache that all springers seem to have 

39BFB662-A2D0-4A10-88D2-15327CA208DB.jpeg

1 minute ago, Rory_d said:

Ah ok if you mean the roof rails then I think they are square if memory serves me right

Not sure which upstands a steel topped Harborough boat has, I had a GRP topped one. All Springers as far as I'm aware have a proper V hull, not a flat baseplate. Which engine is in the boat?

2 minutes ago, Rory_d said:

I’m just having a look again on google images now and have found a Harborough Marine narrowboat and the front is identical to mine, it’s a bugger I can’t copy the pic 

They have a nice boaty fine bow, unlike most more modern boats with bluff shaped bows. They can really bomb along with minimum power. Mine only had a 13 hp Lister and nost other narrowboats couldn't touch it for speed. They also handle really well going backwards.

3 minutes ago, Rory_d said:

The front of my boat is very similar to this although the sides of the hull look flat on this whereas mine are sloped

000A096D-B70D-4C46-97EC-08271EA73451.jpeg

That's an early one, wooden or GRP top. Yes Harborough or perhaps very perhaps Ferny as someone else mentioned, but are the same shape.

I'd say that one is definitly Harborough. I can just see the curved bollard on the foredeck which all Harborough boats had.

Just now, Rory_d said:

Just looking at springer bows and they all have that dodgy moustache and look quite boxy on the front end nothing like mine!

The vast majority do have the washboards. Mostache.

5 minutes ago, bizzard said:

I'd say that one is definitly Harborough. I can just see the curved bollard on the foredeck which all Harborough boats had.

The vast majority do have the washboards. Mostache.

Which one sorry?