Mastervolt Charger Problem

Alleycat Too

Featured Posts

We are having a problem with a Mastervolt 12/100-3 Chargemaster charger. Following installation the LED reads 16.22 volts on batteries and then shuts down and will not charge. Voltage on batteries is actually at 12.8 volts. At the very least we should go to float even with charge at 100% full. Any ideas?

Is this a new installation or has it worked previously?? 

You could try isolating the batteries from the charger and just power the boat systems and see what voltage is displayed then. 

When you say rhe voltage is 12.8 on the batteries I take it this is with the charger off?  Does the voltage rise before the charger shuts down? 

Is this unit a Chargemaster or a Chargemaster plus?

If a chargemaster plus was the activation steps followed?

If the unit is under two years old it should be cover by Mastervolts warranty, who undertook the installations and this should be your first call.

6 minutes ago, Keith M said:

Is this unit a Chargemaster or a Chargemaster plus?

If a chargemaster plus was the activation steps followed?

As it’s a 12-100-3 I believe that makes it a Chargemaster Plus. I’m therefore intruiged as to where this 16.22V was displayed as from looking at the user manual this unit doesn’t appear to have a voltage display. So what is “the LED”?

5 hours ago, frangar said:

Is this a new installation or has it worked previously?? 

You could try isolating the batteries from the charger and just power the boat systems and see what voltage is displayed then. 

When you say rhe voltage is 12.8 on the batteries I take it this is with the charger off?  Does the voltage rise before the charger shuts down? 

Yes we did isolate the charger for a test. The same thing happened - the charger started to charge, fan came on, amps started to increase and then the unit stopped charging. Voltage read 16.22 at beginning and end of trial.

Yes this is a new installation on this boat, but it was taken off another boat where they said it worked fine. It is at least 3-4 years old.

The unit has a display that shows a variety of parameters when connected. This unit says only ChargeMaster. No plus indicated anywhere. Probably predates the plus model?

Any equivalent control alt delete reset possible to re-boot?

Thanks folks.

1 hour ago, Alleycat Too said:

Yes we did isolate the charger for a test. The same thing happened - the charger started to charge, fan came on, amps started to increase and then the unit stopped charging. Voltage read 16.22 at beginning and end of trial.

Yes this is a new installation on this boat, but it was taken off another boat where they said it worked fine. It is at least 3-4 years old.

The unit has a display that shows a variety of parameters when connected. This unit says only ChargeMaster. No plus indicated anywhere. Probably predates the plus model?

Thanks folks.

I have to say it sounds to me like it’s faulty, however there is a “reset to factory setting” menu option which is worth trying. User manual section 5.2.

Is the battery temperature probe installed?

Edited by nicknorman

2 hours ago, Alleycat Too said:

Thanks folks.

Was the charger totally isolated from all loads...eg battery & boat systems?? If it was and it was showing that it was supplying amps then I’d suspect a faulty charger....have you tried disconnecting the DC leads from the charger and switching it on?? (Make sure the disconected leads can’t short out on anything!!)

20 hours ago, frangar said:

Was the charger totally isolated from all loads...eg battery & boat systems?? If it was and it was showing that it was supplying amps then I’d suspect a faulty charger....have you tried disconnecting the DC leads from the charger and switching it on?? (Make sure the disconected leads can’t short out on anything!!)

Yes we isolated the batteries from the entire boat equipment and then connected to charger. Voltage on charger showed 16 volts and then connected to AC power. The display showed 16.22 volts - no change. Charger started charge cycle for about 1 minute than shut down. 

15 hours ago, Keith M said:

It is possible that the output voltage of the charger has been re-configured

What part of the UK is your mooring I may be able to help?

Boat is in Guatemala. Voltage output was the default value.

28 minutes ago, Alleycat Too said:

... we isolated the batteries from the entire boat equipment and then connected to charger. Voltage on charger showed 16 volts...

Then there is no doubt that the charger is faulty. 

21 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Then there is no doubt that the charger is faulty. 

Thanks, I think you are right. One thing we are considering is if we could re-set the state of charge- DC voltage on the memory display back to zero maybe it would charge. We don't see anyway to change that. After disconnecting power it should go to zero but reads 16 volts when re-connecting. 

Thanks everyone for your ideas.

3 hours ago, Keith M said:

I think the unit is shutting because of the high output voltage 

If the output voltage was reduced it may function correctly

I think you’ve missed...

5 hours ago, Alleycat Too said:

we isolated the batteries from the entire boat equipment and then connected to charger. Voltage on charger showed 16 volts...

According to the OP that was before plugging it in. If so there’s nothing to reduce, it’s reading high. 

I just found this thread in google.  I have the exact same problem.  mastervolt 12/100-3 chargemaster.   worked for 1-2 years.  no longer charges.  as the screen says 16.2v.  and just shuts off since it thinks the voltage is high.  but normal voltage at posts...   something inside defiantly faulty.

I currently have it on a work bench plugged into house power and spare battery and doing same thing.

Edited by smac999

• 4 years later...
On 19/01/2019 at 12:26, Alleycat Too said:

We are having a problem with a Mastervolt 12/100-3 Chargemaster charger. Following installation the LED reads 16.22 volts on batteries and then shuts down and will not charge. Voltage on batteries is actually at 12.8 volts. At the very least we should go to float even with charge at 100% full. Any ideas?

hello, i have same problem with mastervolt 12/3/100 . have you been able to find the cause of the failure?