Stove central heating - replacement pump advice please

Featured Posts

Following last week's post I've dug the pump out, and after a couple of other checks fastened it straight to a leisure battery. The battery is fairly old but fully charged and holding charge (evidence - I charged it in the office about six months ago and the AVO still says 12.64 volts). 

A spark as I connected the battery so clearly a circuit is being completed but nothing from the pump, zilch, nada. No whirring, no hum, no smoke, not a sausage. 

Photo of the pump below - replacement is £25 on the internet. Simple question, is it really up to the job, or should I invest in something with more oomph?

45 foot boat, two radiators. 

20190119_121351.jpg

20190119_121341.jpg

Edited by magpie patrick

I’ve got a couple of those pumps on our boat, one for the engine to CH radiators heat exchanger and one for the hot-air-over-steerer’s-feet blower. Both are about 4 years old, and still working fine, although they don’t get a lot of use (none in summer, obvs!).

How old is your pump? If it’s lasted a few years I suggest that at £25 it’s been reasonable value. And buy two, keep one as a spare!

Its a brushless motor so there will be some electronics inside that have gone duff.

Edited by nicknorman

I expect the old one is brushless as well. If so t is easily a stepper motor and driver so that's two things that can jamb. The motor rotor or the impeller. I would connect it and apply some shocks to the body with something like a plastic or hide hammer. It might just work.