Dragging behind you the silent reproach
Of a million tear-stained eyes
Don't be surprised when a crack in the ice
Appears under your feet
You slip out of your depth and out of your mind
With your fear flowing out behind you
As you claw the thin ice

Roger (frozen) Waters

The Wall, London 1980, I think, one of the most astonishing gigs I ever saw. Our seats were 6 rows from front in the centre of the row. As an investigation into the repressed emotions of far too many people born at the end of, or just after the last war, it spoke, and still speaks, very loudly to me.

• Happy 1

On 19/01/2019 at 12:44, Naughty Cal said:

I always find it funny how precious narrowboatists are about their blacking.

Aren't plastic boaters precious about their gelcoats, or have things in the world of GRP moved on? 

Anyway, coatings aside, I think I'd rather be moving a steel boat in ice than a yogurt pot. It may start out as thin ice but you never know how thick it's going to be in different places.

Confused swans..... 'walking' across the marina.

2-1.jpg.4568679e4973f2666d7961930907d955.jpg

We're 'stuck' in a marina, and want to get out! (Due to a family bereavement we moored in the marina while we took a long trip).

We've been advised by management to wait until the ice has thawed as the ice pushes up against moored boats, causing problems with blacking :( so we've had to pay for a couple more/moor nights here.

Our fingers are crossed for Tuesday for a 'great escape'! 

3 minutes ago, Jennifer McM said:

Confused swans..... 'walking' across the marina.

2-1.jpg.4568679e4973f2666d7961930907d955.jpg

We're 'stuck' in a marina, and want to get out! (Due to a family bereavement we moored in the marina while we took a long trip).

We've been advised by management to wait until the ice has thawed as the ice pushes up against moored boats, causing problems with blacking :( so we've had to pay for a couple more/moor nights here.

Our fingers are crossed for Tuesday for a 'great escape'! 

Just fit a bluddy great BT to the front of ya ship..........Blow Torch!

ETA. Don't roast the swan though, Queenie won't be amused.

Edited by rusty69

22 hours ago, Stilllearning said:

The Wall, London 1980, I think, one of the most astonishing gigs I ever saw. Our seats were 6 rows from front in the centre of the row. As an investigation into the repressed emotions of far too many people born at the end of, or just after the last war, it spoke, and still speaks, very loudly to me.

We were at wembley for the pulse tour. Id never seen the dvd but saw it at christmas. ‘Takes you back doesnt it’

im afraid even at 61 bits of the wall bring tears to my eyes , pink floyd made number 1 on the worst week of my life.

power of music.

6 hours ago, blackrose said:

Aren't plastic boaters precious about their gelcoats, or have things in the world of GRP moved on? 

Anyway, coatings aside, I think I'd rather be moving a steel boat in ice than a yogurt pot. It may start out as thin ice but you never know how thick it's going to be in different places.

Ice will take blacking off easily as the blacking is 'soft' and poor adhesion.

Ice might damage a 2 pack epoxy and certainly could effect any undercure/poor adhesion areas depending on how thick the ice is. These coatings aren't immune to abrasion but should stand up pretty well to thin ice.

Gel coats will be better again. They are hard and usually thicker than 2 pack coatings and will have better abraison resistance. I doubt if thin ice would do anything to a decent gel coat other than some minor abraison scratches.