Burnt connector on galvanic isolater

Tuttifruity

Featured Posts

Hi everyone, I'm not very good with electrics and we've been stationary for a while in Sheffield using the onshore power.  Unfortunately the cables stopped working and the batteries went flat, and when I looked at the galvanic isolator connection, the neutral socket has melted a fair bit. What s wrong with it? Help! ?

What make of GI?

Does it have some form of meter / lights?

Photo?

My GI is simply some blocking diodes encapsulated in plastic. Earth in, earth out, job finished!

Re- read original post. Is it some form of in line/cable with 16a plug/socket?

Frank

Edited by Slim

36 minutes ago, Tuttifruity said:

Hi everyone, I'm not very good with electrics and we've been stationary for a while in Sheffield using the onshore power.  Unfortunately the cables stopped working and the batteries went flat, and when I looked at the galvanic isolator connection, the neutral socket has melted a fair bit. What s wrong with it? Help! ?

Is this an in-line Galvanic isolator?  Can you give us the make?

There are two obvious causes for a burnt connector on a GI.

The most likely is a high resistance connection (loose connection, corrosion etc) on the neutral connector.

It is possible that the GI has passed a high fault current which was beyond its fault current rating. However I would expect this to have burnt the earth connector only, or possibly earth and neutral connectors. If the latter was the case, then the circuit breaker supplying the power to the boat will have tripped.

19 minutes ago, cuthound said:

The most likely is a high resistance connection (loose connection, corrosion etc) on the neutral connector.

This is why I asked for the model; so that we could determine if a plug/socket could be replaced/rewired. 

1 hour ago, Tuttifruity said:

When you say the neutral socket, do you mean inside one of these which connect to your GI (the one on the left usually fails)??

Mains coupler.Mains site plug. 240 Volt 16 amp BS4343, CEE17 & IEC309.

or do you mean inside the galvanic isolator itself....

If one of the above connectors, it is likely to be water ingress rather than any dangerous electrical fault - these sockets aren't waterproof and (especially if the angle of the dangle is wrong)- you will find they fail at the neutral female hole first. It could also be the connection from the GI to your boat.

If it is this, its a simple and cheap fix to replace those connectors. If its not then read more scary options on the rest of this thread.

Ah, you posted whilst I was typing - yes, simple fix.

Edited by matty40s