Coal Canal Way - a new walk

magpie patrick

Featured Posts

Might be a new walk but it explores heritage on a canal you can't go boating on so...

The Coal Canal Society have launched the "Coal Canal Way" - the booklet hit the shops just before Christmas and it's available for download here

https://www.coalcanal.org/features/CCWay/CCWScreen.php

Also available as a paper copy through our website and at various outlets including Radstock Museum and the shop at Brassknocker Basin.

The entire route is on public rights of way, and thus follows the coal canal from Dundas to Paulton Basin, but sometimes at a distance. The route has been tested by several volunteers. It isn't yet independently waymarked but B&NES are looking at that. 

[Note, I'm not sure whether this is an advert so if anyone has an issue let me know - I'm a mod so I could approve it anyway but don't wish to set a precedent]

1 hour ago, magpie patrick said:

Might be a new walk but it explores heritage on a canal you can't go boating on so...

The Coal Canal Society have launched the "Coal Canal Way" - the booklet hit the shops just before Christmas and it's available for download here

https://www.coalcanal.org/features/CCWay/CCWScreen.php

Also available as a paper copy through our website and at various outlets including Radstock Museum and the shop at Brassknocker Basin.

The entire route is on public rights of way, and thus follows the coal canal from Dundas to Paulton Basin, but sometimes at a distance. The route has been tested by several volunteers. It isn't yet independently waymarked but B&NES are looking at that. 

[Note, I'm not sure whether this is an advert so if anyone has an issue let me know - I'm a mod so I could approve it anyway but don't wish to set a precedent]

I don't think that the activities of canal restoration charities count as advertising.

4 minutes ago, Heartland said:

I wonder how close it comes to the locks and other heritage features.

It incorporates as many as possible, but locks 1-10 (the upper part of the flight) are not on a right of way

2 minutes ago, Athy said:

I don't think that the activities of canal restoration charities count as advertising.

Thanks Mike - neither do I but don't wish to be seen to be modding my own posts!

8 hours ago, Athy said:

The society doesn't like that mill much, then?

Oh sorry, the map says "Tucking Mill".

?

William Smith, engineer to the coal canal, mining engineer and father of Geology, lived there. The plaque is on the wrong Tucking Mill though...

?

There was a fullers earth factory there too - I'll leave the bad puns to others...

1 hour ago, magpie patrick said:

?

William Smith, engineer to the coal canal, mining engineer and father of Geology, lived there. The plaque is on the wrong Tucking Mill though...

?

There was a fullers earth factory there too - I'll leave the bad puns to others...

'SCuse me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Father of Geology is that famous Scot James Hutton grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Tuckin' outrageous!

Edited by LadyG
Bleedin' Sassenach history books!

1 minute ago, Athy said:

What an unusual last name.

Or is Grrrrrr etc. Glaswegian for....oh, just about anything?

I think in the Period of Enlightenment, Hutton would ha'e been "frae Morningside"

Come to the Isle of Arran if you need to learn a little bit about geology. You don't need a rock hammer, just look around.

14 hours ago, LadyG said:

I think in the Period of Enlightenment, Hutton would ha'e been "frae Morningside"

Come to the Isle of Arran if you need to learn a little bit about geology. You don't need a rock hammer, just look around.

Geology??

No, I was thinking about, for example, that admirable footballer and manager Mr.Gordon Strachan who, when acting as a pundit on T.V. soccer programmes, would comment eloquently with observations which sounded like "GrrrRRR fitba rrr YEW RRR". His fellow pundits could be observed looking nervously at each other in a way which suggested "Do YOU know what he's talking about?"

Edited by Athy

• 3 weeks later...