Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
LadyG

It's my electricity this time: domestic

Featured Posts

Ok, so last year I paid half an arm and a leg to update the electrics, the original wiring looks OK but had a tendency to be tricky/short/blow bulbs.

New consumer unit, new grey wire to the w/machine socket. There is a fridge and so on.

I told the contractor it was dodgy and I wanted it sorted. Anyway, it's not right, the immersion is supposed to be on its own [I think}, but it all went dark when the immersion, the SAD lamp and the new BT upgrade all kicked in.

I am not sure how I, a mere consumer am supposed to know how much power drain is too much. Is the BT upgrade [happening now] to blame?

All the expensive energy saving bulbs in the main light have failed, electrician put a dimmer switch on their circuit. they did not like it.

confused .

Electrician wants paid twice. He didn't install fitted oven properly, it  moves around, no butyl tape under glass hob plate. The oven wall switch is loose.

What do I do to get it sorted, the main contractor is just as bad "wear and tear"

Edited by LadyG

Grrrrrrrr, in the past five weeks I have sat in the dark, using camping lights, I've sent three lamps back as faulty, beginning to think I have poultrygeists!?

I'm trying to read The Hunt for Red October. Only the bathroom lights work, but the bath water is cold as the immersion switch circuit blew.

I've got one camping headlight working, AAA batteries.

I had a guinea fowl, another scam , it was £7.99...............

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I had a guinea fowl, another scam , it was £7.99...............

Thats inflation for you, when I were a lad a Guinea was 21 shillings (and Hosses bought & sold in Guineas - still are)

When did you last buy a horse?

I'm not sure they are now, its Yen/Euros, I think it's £,

commission separate. 

Edited by LadyG

1 minute ago, LadyG said:

When did you last buy a horse?

I'm not sure they are now, its Yen/Euros, I think it's £, commission separate. 

The Horse auctions still tend to be in Guineas.

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

The Horse auctions still tend to be in Guineas.

Not Tattersalls.

commission might be around that,, I mean is it that 5% of the purchase price. Its too late at night .......... I'.ll call it a day, snuff the camping light zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz ................

Edited by LadyG

3 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Not Tattersalls.

All the recent auction results on their site are priced in guineas.

Livestock generally are sold in guineas, not just for tradition's sake but because they get an extra 5% that way :D

http://www.tattersalls.com/decyearlings-list-lots.php

Edited by TheBiscuits

57 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Ok, so last year I paid half an arm and a leg to update the electrics, the original wiring looks OK but had a tendency to be tricky/short/blow bulbs.

New consumer unit, new grey wire to the w/machine socket. There is a fridge and so on.

I told the contractor it was dodgy and I wanted it sorted. Anyway, it's not right, the immersion is supposed to be on its own [I think}, but it all went dark when the immersion, the SAD lamp and the new BT upgrade all kicked in.

I am not sure how I, a mere consumer am supposed to know how much power drain is too much. Is the BT upgrade [happening now] to blame?

All the expensive energy saving bulbs in the main light have failed, electrician put a dimmer switch on their circuit. they did not like it.

confused .

Electrician wants paid twice. He didn't install fitted oven properly, it  moves around, no butyl tape under glass hob plate. The oven wall switch is loose.

What do I do to get it sorted, the main contractor is just as bad "wear and tear"

Don't know about your electrical problems,but I too fitted energy saving bulbs and new light fittings plus dimmer switches. These expensive energy saving bulbs kept blowing and when I complained at the shop was told it was the dimmer switch causing the bulbs to blow and that I shouldn't dim the lights".But I bought the damn thing from you." Ah ,said the ever so helpful person,you didn't say it was to go with energy saving bulbs.You need a dimmer switch specifically for energy saving bulbs.  Fitted these dimmer switches and now lights are ok. The light is awful to read with,hurts your eyes after a bit.

What was so wrong with the old 100watt Osrams?  

4 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

Don't know about your electrical problems,but I too fitted energy saving bulbs and new light fittings plus dimmer switches. These expensive energy saving bulbs kept blowing and when I complained at the shop was told it was the dimmer switch causing the bulbs to blow and that I shouldn't dim the lights".But I bought the damn thing from you." Ah ,said the ever so helpful person,you didn't say it was to go with energy saving bulbs.You need a dimmer switch specifically for energy saving bulbs.  Fitted these dimmer switches and now lights are ok. The light is awful to read with,hurts your eyes after a bit.

I think energy saving bulbs have high frequency flicker like flouerecsent tubes. They do make eyes hurt if reading.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, bizzard said:

I think energy saving bulbs have high frequency flicker like flouerecsent tubes. They do make eyes hurt if reading.

Look what happened to mine. :(

• Haha 2

Time to get a different sparky in and start again.

Find one who knows what he/she is doing this time though.

• Greenie 1

10 hours ago, LadyG said:

confused .

It depends upon what tripped. If it was a shoreline bollard trip, your consumer unit trip, or an overload on an inverter then the whole boat's mains circuits will go off, even if the immersion heater has its own control. The exception would be if it was an inverter trip and the immersion was wired so it can only be supplied via a shoreline OR if your consumer unit has a separate trip for the immersion.

However we also need to know what tripped. If it was a conventional circuit breaker it would, as you imply, be caused by overload but if it was an RCD or RCBO then one of the mains powered items or its wiring could be suffering a neutral to earth fault.

I agree dimmer switches and many energy saving lamps do not like working together. I am trying to work out what the BT upgrade is. I doubt its a bow thruster running off the mains but it might be if it has its own mains battery charger. The only other thing I can think of is some piece of telecoms equipment but they usually only consume mAs so unless its the last straw thing I don't know what to say.

I also agree time for a different electrician.

45 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

He was a sub contractor, but they are all as bad as each other. 

I've tried every electrician there is locally, one sent to sign off the underfloor heating ran away, a  medium sized firm that does fairly local contracts

Another set it up so that the light switch in the same room  had 110 volts running through it [my dry hand]

A third never turned up to fit the consumer unit, after two visits and he phoned me the night before to confirm attendance. I know he gave another customer some sort of certificate and did the same job.

Another one did not quote, though mentioned the Consumer unit is £600 , I don't think so!

Another refused to allow me to buy the CU on my credit card, so I could spread the cost, he wanted paid on the day of course.

It's a one bed flat, what can be so difficult?

Edited by LadyG

9 hours ago, Mad Harold said:

Ahh yes PROPER light bulbs that actualy emit light!! Oooooooooooh nooooooooooo ya cant use them now ya needs to sit in the dark. I have a cupboard full of them that will out live me if I am ever unfortunate enough to have to move into a land property.

3 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

It depends upon what tripped. If it was a shoreline bollard trip, your consumer unit trip, or an overload on an inverter then the whole boat's mains circuits will go off, even if the immersion heater has its own control. The exception would be if it was an inverter trip and the immersion was wired so it can only be supplied via a shoreline OR if your consumer unit has a separate trip for the immersion.

However we also need to know what tripped. If it was a conventional circuit breaker it would, as you imply, be caused by overload but if it was an RCD or RCBO then one of the mains powered items or its wiring could be suffering a neutral to earth fault.

I agree dimmer switches and many energy saving lamps do not like working together. I am trying to work out what the BT upgrade is. I doubt its a bow thruster running off the mains but it might be if it has its own mains battery charger. The only other thing I can think of is some piece of telecoms equipment but they usually only consume mAs so unless its the last straw thing I don't know what to say.

I also agree time for a different electrician.

oops, the reason this is in the VP is that it's my flat, mains electricity by Scottish Power.

the BT reference is to British Telecom. I thought my first response about Bow Thruster was a jokey one, sorry.

10 hours ago, LadyG said:

confused .

Is there not an ombudsman type  organization for "leccy" contracting company's you could contact ? after all a new building /renovation requires inspection by qualified person & a"ticket"unlessit's an aproved setup

52 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

I can't find ny who say they are incompetent , only ever had one who even used a multimeter. One did not know how to do a continuity check on my cooker.

One was asked to blank off the cooker, he stuck some green and yellow tape on the live power wire instead. It took him half and hour , 

They are worse than useless.

12 minutes ago, LadyG said:

oops, the reason this is in the VP is that it's my flat, mains electricity by Scottish Power.

the BT reference is to British Telecom. I thought my first response about Bow Thruster was a jokey one, sorry.

It still depends upon what tripped and I do not know what circuit protection is mandated where you live but assuming modern practice. If an RCD tripped the all the circuits it is protecting will fail. The RCD is used to trip the supply in the event of a short to earth between earth and either neutral or line (blue or brown wires) to try to prevent electrocution. A fault is likely to have just one RCD but several circuit breakers or fuse. It sounds to me as if your RCD tripped but it should be east to reset. It will be in the box along with the fuses/circuit breakers but it does indicate a fault in the wiring or a piece of equipment. Some electricity supply companies have insisted on different circuit protection, some of which tend to trip with a bit of wind, and these would black out the whole flat.

Edited to add - if you are suffering from nuisance trips of protection devices the electrician would need to use an insulation tester as well as a multi-meter unless one was built in to the meter (although I have never seen that).

Edited by Tony Brooks

6 minutes ago, X Alan W said:

Is there not an ombudsman type  organization for "leccy" contracting company's you could contact ? after all a new building /renovation requires inspection by qualified person & a"ticket"unlessit's an aproved setup

That is what I am hoping to find out, the leccy was done by a sub-contractor. The main contractor says "wear and tear" 

I paid £4K to get the whole job sorted, small things and large things. The large things are OK.

The shower now works, but I don't use it anyway.

I have a broken WC seat [back to wall], no immersion heating, no main lighting in living room. cupboard doors hanging off, fitted kitchen half done, ripped of by that fitter, I tried 15 joiners , only one actually came to look.

6 minutes ago, Mike Hurley said:

That trust trader thing is just a scam, they wanted me to join [I'm a gardener], you have to hand out free quotes, and hope you get a job which several others are competing for. it just adds costs and complexity. 

1 minute ago, LadyG said:

That is what I am hoping to find out, the leccy was done by a sub-contractor. The main contractor says "wear and tear" 

I paid £4K to get the whole job sorted, small things and large things. The large things are OK.

The shower now works, but I don't use it anyway.

I have a broken WC seat [back to wall], no immersion heating, no main lighting in living room. cupboard doors hanging off, fitted kitchen half done, ripped of by that fitter, I tried 15 joiners , only one actually came to look.

A visit to the  Fair Trading set up will possibly point you in the right direction

19 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

It still depends upon what tripped and I do not know what circuit protection is mandated where you live but assuming modern practice. If an RCD tripped the all the circuits it is protecting will fail. The RCD is used to trip the supply in the event of a short to earth between earth and either neutral or line (blue or brown wires) to try to prevent electrocution. A fault is likely to have just one RCD but several circuit breakers or fuse. It sounds to me as if your RCD tripped but it should be east to reset. It will be in the box along with the fuses/circuit breakers but it does indicate a fault in the wiring or a piece of equipment. Some electricity supply companies have insisted on different circuit protection, some of which tend to trip with a bit of wind, and these would black out the whole flat.

Edited to add - if you are suffering from nuisance trips of protection devices the electrician would need to use an insulation tester as well as a multi-meter unless one was built in to the meter (although I have never seen that).

Yes, I re set the RCD,  but as soon as I switch the immersion on it trips. I think it is the swich not the immersion thing. I suspect it got water behind it yesterday when I was cleaning the chrome with some bathroom mouse, it has tripped before, but then magically started working again. 

I may switch off MAINS and have a look at immersion switch, give it a blast of compressed air.

If the 240 volts are pulsating thru it, this will be my last ever post.

9 minutes ago, X Alan W said:

A visit to the  Fair Trading set up will possibly point you in the right direction

We don't have that any more, in a cost cutting exercise you get through to a guy on CAB, who gives out incorrect legal advice, essentially, there is no Consumer Rights. The LA have someone who answers the phone and does nothing unless you threaten them with something or other. I used to work in the LA on food hygiene, I have a Diploma! He told me some rubbish about contacting SEPA when it is LA responsibility.

The local CAB office closed, but the people were vols, so you were better using Google, or as  here CWDF.

Edited by LadyG