Mooring halfway between York & Bristol

Clodi

Featured Posts

4 minutes ago, cuthound said:

If you chose Alvecote it is secure and has parking. Water is available there as well.

Another bonus is the ease of turning around, outside the adjacent Sammy Barlow pub heading towards Coventry or 5 minutes up the cut if heading towards Tamworth, so no locks involved in turning around.

Alvecote also has the advantage that prices are relatively low and the facilities of a working boatyard are available for servicing, repairs etc.

Things are very relaxed/casual/laid back/sloppy - take your pick - so you need to be happy with that.

18 minutes ago, frahkn said:

Things are very relaxed/casual/laid back/sloppy - take your pick - so you need to be happy with that.

Aren't all boatyards that don't operate a hire fleet like this?

That was certainly my experience in 22 years of shareboating. ?

7 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Aren't all boatyards that don't operate a hire fleet like this?

That was certainly my experience in 22 years of shareboating. ?

Well, I have less experience than yourself but I would definitely say that Alvecote is the most laid back (my pick) of the marinas which I have used.

That is in 11 years of shareowning - we had 5 bases during those years - and having moored at Aston and Mercia (before Alvecote) with this boat.

I welcome the approach - this is my 4th year at Alvecote - but I know that it doesn't find universal favour.

"What does?" -  you will say and of course you will be correct.

7 hours ago, MartynG said:

What do your sons think?

Do they give two hoots where your boat is?

They have moved or are moving out and university is intended to give them their independence.

Mooring your boat near York or Bristol and using it as student accommodation might make more sense?  But you will lose the use of your boat !

It's for us to have a base half-way between them. I doubt they will visit us onboard but we can visit them once in a while give them a 'sunday-lunch' (and the obligatory handout ? )

If the house sells we shall be moving onboard full time. Then the plan is to CC andexplorer new areas. I grew up with boats and there are family owned moorings on the Great Ouse so I would love to re-visit the Middle-Levels and introduce my wife to the unique magic of that area.

4 minutes ago, Clodi said:

. I grew up with boats and there are family owned moorings on the Great Ouse so I would love to re-visit the Middle-Levels and introduce my wife to the unique magic of that area.

That wont be very convenient for visiting anywhere, welcome back to East Anglia

Not exactly halfway, but Barbridge Marina has always struck me as somewhere with particularly good cruising options: the Four Counties and Cheshire Rings (with detours along the Peak Forest and Caldon), plus out-and-back trips to Chester/Ellesmere Port, Llangollen/the Monty, and the River Weaver. No doubt there are other marinas nearby, but being right on a junction and hence with all these options on your doorstep it's this one that has stuck in my mind.

2 hours ago, magictime said:

Not exactly halfway, but Barbridge Marina has always struck me as somewhere with particularly good cruising options: the Four Counties and Cheshire Rings (with detours along the Peak Forest and Caldon), plus out-and-back trips to Chester/Ellesmere Port, Llangollen/the Monty, and the River Weaver. No doubt there are other marinas nearby, but being right on a junction and hence with all these options on your doorstep it's this one that has stuck in my mind.

and Venetian Marina is only a short way down the Middlewich Branch

I’d second King’s Bromley.  The site is very secure for boats and to leave cars for long periods and the management leave you alone.  We looked at Alvecote before KB and tbh felt that it was untidy, messy and no security whatsoever.  I would not want to leave my car there for several weeks whilst away.  Appreciate that others may like this so only an opinion.

4 hours ago, Nick D said:

I’d second King’s Bromley.  The site is very secure for boats and to leave cars for long periods and the management leave you alone.  We looked at Alvecote before KB and tbh felt that it was untidy, messy and no security whatsoever.  I would not want to leave my car there for several weeks whilst away.  Appreciate that others may like this so only an opinion.

See - laid back - though there is sound security on one wharf - there has been a car (no clue whose) on the bank by my pontoon all this year.

Edited by frahkn

On 19/01/2019 at 01:05, frahkn said:

See - laid back - though there is sound security on one wharf - there has been a car (no clue whose) on the bank by my pontoon all this year.

Security has actually improved dramatically recently. The main electric gates are in working condition again and the small gate near the pub is being kept locked. 

With lots of old working boats to look at and beer at the bar what’s not to like?