freeze plug no access

Featured Posts

9 minutes ago, regginald said:

thats what i suspected. I have noticed my engine block appears different to all the pictures i have found of the bmc 1.8. most seem to have one core plug like the mgb but mine appears to have 2 smaller ones next to each other. do you know why this is?

No, apart from the country the block was sourced from so may be done because of local supply or manufacturing techniques.

You could cut the rear plate corner off but its thick stuff.

If its rusted through putting a convex core  plug inside it stands little chance of working but there may be enough recess left outside the existing welch plug to get a convex to seal.

In the bad old days we used to make lead core plugs and tap them in with goo, with low rad cap pressures they work.

There are two 1.8D blocks, early have no ribs on the LH side where the "1800" is cast, later thicker blocks have ribs.

Edited by Boater Sam
added more

1 hour ago, regginald said:

thanks, i used a hole cutter and cut out a circle from the plate and changed the plug, was incredible easy!! The hole cutter was superb and about a fiver on ebay.

Did that in an A55 to get to the core plug at the back of the engine