Plug in Galvanic Isolator.. which one

Sofia

Featured Posts

52 minutes ago, LadyG said:

A survey would not have disclosed the problems. I wanted a good boat [Tyler Wilson] . The thing had a BSC because the owner lied in order to get a BS Certificate. 

I dont think my BSS examiner asked me many questions other than where things were. 

31 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I dont think my BSS examiner asked me many questions other than where things were. 

and did you tell him what you had ? Did you set out to deceive him, as many have done ?

he may not have been gas safe boat qualified

he may not have been boat electrics qualified

The Certificate gets a licence and insurance.

End of.

Obtaining benefit by deception is fraud ............ that is why former owner has never been to see me.

Edited by LadyG

44 minutes ago, LadyG said:

and did you tell him what you had ? Did you set out to deceive him, as many have done ?

he may not have been gas safe boat qualified

he may not have been boat electrics qualified

The Certificate gets a licence and insurance.

End of.

Obtaining benefit by deception is fraud ............ that is why former owner has never been to see me.

If you feel that is the case you should report it to the BSS people so that he can be taken off the register or have more training 

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

Same as a car mot, the examiner should not be asking questions, just checking to the standard, no more and no less.  In fact you do not even need to be present for a  BSS examination, so long as the boat is in an examinable condition.

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

If you feel that is the case you should report it to the BSS people so that he can be taken off the register or have more training 

I don't need hassle. 

Which is best plug in Gi?

Edited by LadyG

31 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I don't need hassle. 

Which is best plug in Gi?

It depends on how you define best.  So if money is no problem, and you want your gi to be ‘bomb proof’ then one approved to ABYC or better is definitely best, and what most people on here would recommend.  However if you think best is a unit that will prevent galvanic corrosion, will probably survive a fairly large transient fault current, or if it does not survive, it will probably last long enough for the breaker (including rcd trip) to disconnect before anyone is seriously hurt and will be replaced for free under the lifetime warranty and is a lower cost than an ABYC approved unit, then something from Safesure marine would by my choice.

https://www.safeshoremarine.com/products/

i know you want plug in, but if money is a big problem, an internal unit is a lot lower cost.  Just saying..........

As to not wanting hassle, I can relate to that.

Edited by Chewbacka

2 hours ago, Chewbacka said:

So what will you buy??  Just curious.

I am swithering between the Safeshore GI 70, and the GI100 which has fault indicating LEDs, I think either will protect, if it shows a fault, I still have the problem of finding an electrician.

I'll ask my boatbuilder friend for his opinion.

I think it will be the 100.

UPDATE

Having watched the video which explains the fault finding indicators, the 100 is what I need.

Edited by LadyG

1 minute ago, swift1894 said:

I never plug into a landline as I have a Genny and solar panels.

Do I need a galvanic isolator?

If you run the genny on the bank and connect the genny frame earth stud to an earth rod or the steel pilling along the canal, then, Yes I would.  If you don’t, then there is no need.

There are a number of other threads about the benefits or otherwise of locally earthing the genny.

18 minutes ago, Chewbacka said:

If you run the genny on the bank and connect the genny frame earth stud to an earth rod or the steel pilling along the canal, then, Yes I would.  If you don’t, then there is no need.

There are a number of other threads about the benefits or otherwise of locally earthing the genny.

19 minutes ago, Chewbacka said:

It’s an inboard marine Genny so no need for an I G then.

7 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

Maybe you shouldn't have irritated him so much on the phone he is no longer willing to come and fix your boat then!

It has cost me apology beers that I gave him your number!

I am very sorry about that, but It would have been a fortune in travel, and hotel expenses to get him [ I estimate its a three day job, assuming he wanted to take it on] ...... at the time, I did not have the new equipment [batteries, solar, inverter, split charge diode etc, so that was at least a week's wait. 

..... and it seems the Safeshore GI 100 is out of stock .......... sigh.......

Edited by LadyG