Boat at Braunston

Mike E-W

Featured Posts

If its really bothering you that it may have been dumped there, you can put the CRT number into their licence check web page which will tell you if someone is bothered enough to be licensing it. After that, I guess it's their prerogative as to how it looks or how they use it.

If you mean the boat moored by the field on the offside of the canal (called Tanuk?), we met the owners a few years ago in one of Braunston's pubs.  They were not 'in the first flush of youth'.  They knew the boat needed to be repainted but wanted to do it themselves.

16 minutes ago, matty40s said:

It isn't dumped, if it was, the Stop House would have had it removed long ago.

I guess its like the rusting boats on the other side - someone keeps paying the licence fee and mooring fee so we just need the story.

Do we?

It's been there a long time.

Has always looked a rather risky place to moor over the Braunston Historic Boats weekend when the 70 footers - single motors and pairs - are making the left turn out of the marina at the end of the parade. Although I've never actually seen anyone hit it.

• Sad 1

It is always sad to see what was once a well-maintained boat degenerate into a a rusty hulk. Down the road from us is a very early Springer - 1969, and unusually long for its time, 54' - which hasn't moved for a good few years and which has not its back doors open for at least the last two years.

There's an old working boat on my old mooring that, as far as I know, hasn't had a foot set on it since I moved over here, which was twelve years ago now. It is, however, still afloat, unlike another of the boats there.  But it's a lot of money to pay, licenses and mooring fees for a 70 foot boat that you appear to have no interest in and is slowly rotting away.

I can understand boats in marinas never moving - many people just use them as either a holiday home or a weekend cottage. But online ones left for so long just seem sad.  i think people buy them in a flush of enthusiasm without realising the ongoing work they entail and the time they take up - bit like my neighbour who bought a caravan three years ago because she's always wanted one, blocks my view with it and hasn't been out in it once yet.

1 hour ago, Mike E-W said:

It isn't bothering me at all Sea dog just curious to see it moored off side and looking sad  

Yeah, I can understand that Mike, and it is sad to see these neglected boats, isn't it.  There's a lot of them about too, aren't there.  Odd to think someone's renewing the licence year after year on some of them though, but there's all kinds of stories behind them I guess.

3 hours ago, David Mack said:

It's been there a long time.

Has always looked a rather risky place to moor over the Braunston Historic Boats weekend when the 70 footers - single motors and pairs - are making the left turn out of the marina at the end of the parade. Although I've never actually seen anyone hit it.

Every year on the Braunston parade I get to the ladder bridge and say to myself, “I’m going to power round and do the turn in one.”  Most years I chicken out and back off because I’m afraid of clobbering this boat. :( 

3 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

There's an old working boat on my old mooring that, as far as I know, hasn't had a foot set on it since I moved over here, which was twelve years ago now. It is, however, still afloat, unlike another of the boats there.  But it's a lot of money to pay, licenses and mooring fees for a 70 foot boat that you appear to have no interest in and is slowly rotting away.

I can understand boats in marinas never moving - many people just use them as either a holiday home or a weekend cottage. But online ones left for so long just seem sad.  i think people buy them in a flush of enthusiasm without realising the ongoing work they entail and the time they take up - bit like my neighbour who bought a caravan three years ago because she's always wanted one, blocks my view with it and hasn't been out in it once yet.

My Dad bought a  van, when he gave up his boat, it was quite a fancy affair, but his idea was to save money on travel, never pay for anything, it was sold after two years. He nearly lost it over the garden wall, as his car could not hold it on the steep driveway, minor damage, big fright

Edited by LadyG

49 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Which years haven’t you chickened out, and do you have the video?

Our motorised butty has the propellor in the rudder and it turns on a sixpence - so coming out of the ladder bridge is easy. Cheating, I suppose but not so easy with a motor. 

As usual, perfect turns are never recorded for posterity.  :(

Edited by koukouvagia