Kennet and Avon- Which way?

Montgomery

Featured Posts

Good afternoon all! 

I have a week booked on the K&A in June from Hilperton Marina, crew of 4 (20s and 30s with plenty of experience) I am looking for some advice as to which way to go from the marina? We would like to do the Caen Hill flight (which I know is east from Hilperton) but would like some advice as whether to head west to Bristol and head back past Hilperton and do Caen Hill "on the way back" (or even do it first then turn and head to Bristol) or whether to just head east towards Hungerford (we should get to Hungerford and back in 1 week) 

Which section of the canal is the most attractive, has the best (and potentially quieter) moorings, has good pubs (preferably with decent mooring nearby) and towns/villages to buy groceries. 

We generally like to end our day near a pub or town/village for dinner and drinks. 

Number of locks isn't an issue for the crew. 

Thoughts appreciated. 

Many thanks. 

Western end will be busy in summer, and has lots of liveaboards, some in scruffy boats and that upsets some people, but it is very very attractive canal, especially Bradford to Bath. If you really think you can get down to Bristol then that would swing it in favour of going west.

Going East then Caan Hill is spectacular (and enjoyable). The long pound is more rural and even remote and some of it is very attractive. Sadly the iconic Barge Inn is now closed but the Waterfront at Pewsey is worth a visit. There is a tunnel on the summit though its quite short, and you might be able to get as far a Crofton Engine house which is worth visiting.

................Dave

If its any help, I moved a boat out of Hilperton to London in early October, picking boat up late lunchtime, I was single handing.

My first overnight stop was at Sells Green Bridge(virtually dark) in time for a late dinner. I got to the bottom of Caen Hill flight at 7.30 ready to be first one up. Managed half way before having to wait for a couple of idiot boats who thought they could get 2 boats down in the lock that says one at a time only. That nights stop was near Pewsey Wharf .   Next day I ended up in Hungerford, great fish n chips and lots of antique shops if you get there  before closing. Next days mooring was outside the Cunning Man at Burghfield Bridge. This would be where you turn round on a hire boat.

I carried on next day, removed a thermostat, did the Thames, stopped at Marlow overnight, and delivered to Bulls Bridge moorings late afternoon after an exciting time leaving Teddington an hour and 3/4 after high tide!!. 

12 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Does that mean that as a private boater, I'm not allowed to come back?

Not at all. But, unlike them, you don't have to until you're good and ready.

Edited by Athy

On 16/01/2019 at 14:02, magpie patrick said:

Personally I would go one way or the other not attempt to do both -so if you want to do Caen Hill go east

It is a lovely canal but not one that one can hurry on - if you are used to say the Trent and Mersey or the Grand Union you will find it slow going 

Thanks for the reply, how do you mean slow going? As in shallow or due to the volume of boats? 

On 16/01/2019 at 17:24, dmr said:

Western end will be busy in summer, and has lots of liveaboards, some in scruffy boats and that upsets some people, but it is very very attractive canal, especially Bradford to Bath. If you really think you can get down to Bristol then that would swing it in favour of going west.

Going East then Caan Hill is spectacular (and enjoyable). The long pound is more rural and even remote and some of it is very attractive. Sadly the iconic Barge Inn is now closed but the Waterfront at Pewsey is worth a visit. There is a tunnel on the summit though its quite short, and you might be able to get as far a Crofton Engine house which is worth visiting.

................Dave

Thanks for the reply, I must admit I like the look of places like Bradford on Avon, Bath and Bristol I think they would offer more in the way of things to go and see etc and eateries. But if that's the busier end where mooring may be difficult, maybe going east is the way forward? Are there plenty of good moorings east of Hilperton? I can't say I'm too keen on using the gang plank! 

21 hours ago, matty40s said:

If its any help, I moved a boat out of Hilperton to London in early October, picking boat up late lunchtime, I was single handing.

My first overnight stop was at Sells Green Bridge(virtually dark) in time for a late dinner. I got to the bottom of Caen Hill flight at 7.30 ready to be first one up. Managed half way before having to wait for a couple of idiot boats who thought they could get 2 boats down in the lock that says one at a time only. That nights stop was near Pewsey Wharf .   Next day I ended up in Hungerford, great fish n chips and lots of antique shops if you get there  before closing. Next days mooring was outside the Cunning Man at Burghfield Bridge. This would be where you turn round on a hire boat.

I carried on next day, removed a thermostat, did the Thames, stopped at Marlow overnight, and delivered to Bulls Bridge moorings late afternoon after an exciting time leaving Teddington an hour and 3/4 after high tide!!. 

I expect the canal will be a tad busier in June? Did you find mooring on the canal fairly straight forward? No burying the boat in the reeds and having to use the gang plank to get on and off? 

Any pub recommendations? 

I hired from Hilperton in June three or four years ago with a group of friends from work. First night moored at Seend Wharf and visited the Barge Inn - a Wadworth's eating pub - and Devizes Wharf the second night. Found a small craft beer bar and a nice bistro but there was plenty of choice. Both moorings were on rings against a concrete or piled bank IIRC. We were on a weekend hire so turned round and headed back down Caen Hill before breakfast the next morning, back to Seend Wharf for Sunday lunch, back past the hire base to wind above Bradford lock then an evening meal at a Thai restaurant in Bradford-on-Avon after a pint or three of Landlord at a pub in town. We struggled to moor in Bradford when arriving late afternoon/early evening and had to squeeze into a space someone had just vacated because they couldn't easily get into the side. Also had to go at least half a mile back from town to find that space and needed the gangplank.

At no point in the weekend did we ever seem to not have a moored boat in view ahead of us so it is slow cruising as it's pretty much never at full cruising speed. You just have to keep on and you'll get there. I suspect it improves as you go east but as we didn't go that far someone else will need to confirm that. However the canal itself wasn't overly busy with boats on the move. I don't recall sharing many locks.

JP

19 hours ago, Captain Pegg said:

I hired from Hilperton in June three or four years ago with a group of friends from work. First night moored at Seend Wharf and visited the Barge Inn - a Wadworth's eating pub - and Devizes Wharf the second night. Found a small craft beer bar and a nice bistro but there was plenty of choice. Both moorings were on rings against a concrete or piled bank IIRC. We were on a weekend hire so turned round and headed back down Caen Hill before breakfast the next morning, back to Seend Wharf for Sunday lunch, back past the hire base to wind above Bradford lock then an evening meal at a Thai restaurant in Bradford-on-Avon after a pint or three of Landlord at a pub in town. We struggled to moor in Bradford when arriving late afternoon/early evening and had to squeeze into a space someone had just vacated because they couldn't easily get into the side. Also had to go at least half a mile back from town to find that space and needed the gangplank.

At no point in the weekend did we ever seem to not have a moored boat in view ahead of us so it is slow cruising as it's pretty much never at full cruising speed. You just have to keep on and you'll get there. I suspect it improves as you go east but as we didn't go that far someone else will need to confirm that. However the canal itself wasn't overly busy with boats on the move. I don't recall sharing many locks.

JP

Thanks for the reply, it sounds like moorings may be a problem further west then? Was the Thai restaurant in Bradford on Avon any good?