Newly fitted Webasto Firing ok but No Hot Water

Motters79

Featured Posts

Finally finished install of Webasto Thermotop C. Only tool me 4 months on and off ?

Well I've connected it and it fired up on the 4th attempt. Great! Only trouble is, despite the unit getting hot, no heat leaves the flow port and I can't hear the water pump trying to push water, so I'm concerned the water pump is duff. It was a recon unit from mp&h who have a good rep. I've messaged him but will have to wait for a reply. EBay says seller is away. Highly frustrating! The pump seems to kick in momentarily as the unit is shutting down weirdly so that indicates that the pump might be ok and there is some other issue. 

I'm certain there is water in the unit and both isolaters are turned on.

Any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks Sam

Ok I've fired it up again and let it run for 20 mins now. The system is warming up but just very slowly compared with a domestic system. The unit is getting very hot but the output isn't as hot as I'd have expected. Is this normal?

I assume the unit will shut itself down it overheats? 

Was I expecting too much from this thing?

Edited by Motters79

1 hour ago, bizzard said:

Is it heating a calorifier as well for hot water? and if its sharing the same coil in the calorifier as the engines one it could be trying to warm up the engine too.

Yes it is but it has it's own coil. I did however forget to put a valve on the return from the Calorifier so it's free flowing round that which is probably pinching too much heat. Easy put right. That said my concern was the rate at which the webasto itself heats up in relation to the heat of the water coming out. The system has heated up though, just much slower than I'd hoped. It took a good hour before the rads were all hot. Is it wise to then shut it down before it goes into half power?

1 hour ago, Nobag said:

Depending on the size of your radiators, it takes about an hour to temp.

Yep it did. Rads were all hot after an hour. How long can you safely run it past that point?

9 minutes ago, Motters79 said:

Yes it is but it has it's own coil. I did however forget to put a valve on the return from the Calorifier so it's free flowing round that which is probably pinching too much heat. Easy put right. That said my concern was the rate at which the webasto itself heats up in relation to the heat of the water coming out. The system has heated up though, just much slower than I'd hoped. It took a good hour before the rads were all hot. Is it wise to then shut it down before it goes into half power?

Yep it did. Rads were all hot after an hour. How long can you safely run it past that point?

As long as you like. Don't shut it down when it goes to half heat, leave it running. It may shut down at some stage and restart after a short period when the system cools slightly.  You need to get a valve in the caloifier circuit and then balance the system.

15 minutes ago, Motters79 said:

You are opening the stable door - stand by for bolting horses.

I tend to leave mine 'on' for the whole time we are in the boat - the thermostat keeps the temperatures where you want them. It automatically 'kicks in' when needed. and switches it off when it doesn't.

Others say that this causes failure because of carbon build up due to 'cycling'

Some say that waiting for it to drop down onto 'low power' then switching it off causes carbon build up.

Personally - (as said above) it goes on and stays on - I'm sure that the heat generated by permanent operation helps reduce carbon build up.

I guess the answer is - try it 'your way' if it works for you stick with it, if it doesn't work, then do something different.

• Greenie 1

7 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

You are opening the stable door - stand by for bolting horses.

I tend to leave mine 'on' for the whole time we are in the boat - the thermostat keeps the temperatures where you want them. It automatically 'kicks in' when needed. and switches it off when it doesn't.

Others say that this causes failure because of carbon build up due to 'cycling'

Some say that waiting for it to drop down onto 'low power' then switching it off causes carbon build up.

Personally - (as said above) it goes on and stays on - I'm sure that the heat generated by permanent operation helps reduce carbon build up.

I guess the answer is - try it 'your way' if it works for you stick with it, if it doesn't work, then do something different.

Ha ha yes there's seems to be a lost of contrary opinions on that but as you said you have to suck it and see for yourself. I only really want it for first thing in the morning when its really cold and if I'm planning on being out late, otherwise my wood stove will be on. I must say though that the even heat distribution of the webasto is very nice Indeed! First time the bathrooms been warm in winter!

I've set the timer for tomorrow morning , so hopfully will awake to the sound of a rocket taking off  and then fall out of bed 45 mins later to a fairly warm boat. What luxury ?

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Motters79 said:

Ha ha yes there's seems to be a lost of contrary opinions on that but as you said you have to suck it and see for yourself. I only really want it for first thing in the morning when its really cold and if I'm planning on being out late, otherwise my wood stove will be on. I must say though that the even heat distribution of the webasto is very nice Indeed! First time the bathrooms been warm in winter!

I've set the timer for tomorrow morning , so hopfully will awake to the sound of a rocket taking off  and then fall out of bed 45 mins later to a fairly warm boat. What luxury ?

Don't  you have the silencer on the Webasto exhaust ?   Mine is very quiet, inside & outside of the boat.

20 hours ago, Nobag said:

Depending on the size of your radiators, it takes about an hour to temp.

Once the water in the calorifier is hot, for exampe at the end of a days cruising or first thing the next morning  I find mine heats the radiators up much more quickly say 15-20 minutes from switch on.

However with everything cold it takes an hour from switch on.

22 hours ago, Motters79 said:

Finally finished install of Webasto Thermotop C. Only tool me 4 months on and off ?

Same here!

Yes they do heat up quite slowly, the first time there is much trepidation....will it won't it?

Well done getting it going though. On another recent thread we discovered that the thing re boots after 72 mins anyway, just so you know.

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/01/2019 at 23:22, Flyboy said:

Don't  you have the silencer on the Webasto exhaust ?   Mine is very quiet, inside & outside of the boat.

Actually I went for an aftermarket 'gastight' silencer. It is fairly quiet tbh. Like a Saturn 5 rocket from 30 miles away ? The tick of the pump is the most notable thing really. It seems to reverberate throughout the boat. It's kind of soothing though like a clock. 

On 17/01/2019 at 10:54, Johny London said:

Same here!

Yes they do heat up quite slowly, the first time there is much trepidation....will it won't it?

Well done getting it going though. On another recent thread we discovered that the thing re boots after 72 mins anyway, just so you know.

Yes I often thought of your struggles as consolation when in the middle of doing mine. It was a very awkward install due to the design of my boat. It's all(most)good now. Had a couple of weepy compression joints which I've now fixed ( a few fixed themselves)  Just got one still werping on the return 22mm ball valve. The pain is I can't get to it to fiddle without taking the heater out. I'm so wishing I'd put ptfe on all the olives now. ?‍♂️ 

Thanks for all your advice last year. It was invaluable ???

19 hours ago, Johny London said:

The odd weepy joint's par for the course I reckon - nice bit of water silt will see to it! My system holds pressure beautifully now.

Yes that's certainly already fixed a few of them. I did a drain down on the spine and ptfed one joint which was weeping a bit too much. I did it all in copper with compression, so there's a lot of joints, but it looks nice! I do need to get at the one by the heater n the ball vslve though so will have to remove it. Fortunately it's the olive on the heater side, so won't have to drain whole spine! 

One question though. I had a fiddle yesterday and couldn't get the electrical connections off the heater. Once cliped on they're hard to see. Any tips? 

Cheers

On 29/01/2019 at 11:03, Motters79 said:

One question though. I had a fiddle yesterday and couldn't get the electrical connections off the heater. Once cliped on they're hard to see. Any tips? 

There is a catch built into the side of the plug(s) where they go into the heater body.  Press the top half in towards the plug body before trying to remove the plug.

If it won't move, push the plug a bit more in then try it.