Mooring or what.....?

Opener

Featured Posts

OK, so we've had the boat for the best part of eight years and these came with it - in amongst the mooring pins, nappy hooks, ropes etc.  I've always known that they were to moor with so on a recent trip I used one to moor to Armco.  Fell out straight away.  Don't laugh - what the Hell are they and how do you use them???  Diagrams/pictures welcome....

Doh!

IMG_20190114_150447090[1].jpg

Edited by Opener
spelin mostik

They work well-enough.

Poke the small-hook end down the back of the Armco, twist so the hook is sticking back 'out' (towards the water)

Tie mooring line onto the 'eye'

Pull tight and tie off onto the boat, this pulls the 'hook' up under the Armco.

If you are a 'loose' moorer they won't work.

You do need to be able to moor 'properly' (tightly)

• Greenie 2

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Poke the small-hook end down the back of the Armco, twist so the hook is sticking back 'out' (towards the water)

Tie mooring line onto the 'eye'

Pull tight and tie off onto the boat, this pulls the 'hook' up under the Armco.

Hmmm!  I must have picked the wrong kind of Armco - I did it like this and as soon as I '..pulled tight..' the eye pulled towards the water, the whole thing pivoted at the top of the Armco and pulled the hook bit out.  The whole shebang was still firmly tied to the boat but not to the bank.  Puzzlement continues.....

11 minutes ago, Opener said:

I like my ropes and my trousers tight!!!

I never tie up tight in case water level changes. Boat that is not trousers.  Interesting night in Norwich a few years ago so lesson learnt.

Never happens on the canal ??? 

2 minutes ago, PaulD said:

I never tie up tight in case water level changes. Boat that is not trousers.  Interesting night in Norwich a few years ago so lesson learnt.

Never happens on the canal ??? 

If on a stretch that may have changeable levels, another method of mooring would be advisable but i certainly wouldn't have slack lines everywhere. 

3 hours ago, Opener said:

OK, so we've had the boat for the best part of eight years and these came with it - in amongst the mooring pins, nappy hooks, ropes etc.  I've always known that they were to moor with so on a recent trip I used one to moor to Armco.  Fell out straight away.  Don't laugh - what the Hell are they and how do you use them???  Diagrams/pictures welcome....

Doh!

IMG_20190114_150447090[1].jpg

Junk 'em and use "goat chains" since they don't slip off the armco.  I have the rather more secure nappy pins than those, but they are still relegated to the spares bin in favour of goat chains. 

• Greenie 2

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

Junk 'em and use "goat chains" since they don't slip off the armco.  I have the rather more secure nappy pins than those, but they are still relegated to the spares bin in favour of goat chains. 

This ^^^. The best use for one of these IMHO is as a temp mooring esp when single handing. Leave it strung on the centreline and you can hop off and drop it into the Armco while you get organised with the proper gear.

• Greenie 2

37 minutes ago, BruceinSanity said:

This ^^^. The best use for one of these IMHO is as a temp mooring esp when single handing. Leave it strung on the centreline and you can hop off and drop it into the Armco while you get organised with the proper gear.

Good tip.

We have 2 of them, one is super and reliable, the other a pain!

The 2nd has now been altered to copy the first exactly.  But I've not used it enough to be sure if the changes have worked. 

Bod