Coal shovels ?

CompairHolman

Featured Posts

48 minutes ago, Athy said:

Ouvert a toute heure, avec M. Rony Barqueur?

A hardware shop opened up in Leeds city centre under the name of Arkwrights. When it opened the window display to one side of the door featured four large candlesticks with candles, and on the other side were four replacement handles for garden implements.

Sadly the shop didn't last.

• Greenie 1

12 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Wha @mrsmelly and @dave moore said. Modern ones are pressed tin and usually fail where the blade transitions in to the curved bit that forms the socket for the handle. I am on my third cheapy one and now look for substantial amounts of metal in this area. A properly forged one would last forever, but would be expensive to get made new. 

When shovel No2 fell to bits, I did consider one of these. Proper shovels, made for steam trains, but a bit big!

Jen

Just realised, this was my 1000th post! ??

congrats

• Happy 1

3 hours ago, Tacet said:

It probably sells coal shovels, but even if it didn't, a visit to Harrington's Hardware in Broadstairs, Kent is entirely worth it.  Totally unpsoilt and nothing much can have changed since the war.  Staff included.

Outside.jpg

Inside.jpg

Now that looks like the kind of shop I could loose myself in. They still exist, but tend to be ony in only in the smaller market towns which are more than ten miles from a DIY Barn, there are still quite few in Devon, and we recently found one in ilminster in Somerset. Until a few years ago we had a brilliant Furnishing Ironmonger in Trowbridge, where you could get almost anything, I was a regular customer and knew all the staff, unfortunately I was in a declining minority and they had to close down, I still lament their passing