Stratford

p6rob

Featured Posts

Hi,

I've been living aboard for about 6 years now and have got a bit bored of my normal 10 week route between Birmingham and Lapworth via Knowle and Shirley. So I'm thinking of going down to Stratford and possibly to beyond Tardebigge.

Are there a few places to moor on the way there and back, for a week or two at a time?

I know to some on here that's barely a weekend cruise but I'll still need to get to work in Birmingham most days and have a few other things besides boating to consider.

Would those routes be better experienced after winter?

Thanks in advance.

Rob

The key thing about going from Kingswood junction to Stratford is that there are a lot of locks, although it can be done in a day, but not a leisurely day!  If you are using public transport, eg train there are a couple of places that would work for, but none really near to Kingswood.   In terms of mooring there are plenty of places to stop.

Have you though about extending your range to the top of Hatton locks, there is Hatton station right next to the canal as well, and there are no locks from Kingswood.

Thanks John,

I've done the Warwickshire ring twice in both directions and recently been down to Stockton when Martin Kedian re-plated the boat. Now looking for some new scenery. Depending on the weather I'll have either a car, bicycle or motorbike for transport but equally happy to use public transport if it's available.

Rob

Wilmcote has moorings, and a station.  So does Stratford.  Lowsonford and Wooton Wawen have moorings. There is a boat yard at WW and a new marina somewhere thereabouts. Another boat yard is just outside Stratford.  CART facilities, particularly sani stations,  are fairly scarce IIRC.

As said by others there are a lot of locks, so a check of the stoppages would be a good idea so you don't get trapped away from water unexpectedly.

N

Stratford, east London? Its a long way from Birmingham. Anyhow its near the river Lea and the Olympic park. Plenty of transport, buses, trains from Stratford and Leyton stations, main, surburban and Central line underground and Docklands light railway.  Beutiful views too especially the Telfers meat pie factory near Stratford and the ex Bryant and May matckstick factory at Bow,

12 minutes ago, BEngo said:

Wilmcote has moorings, and a station.  So does Stratford.  Lowsonford and Wooton Wawen have moorings. There is a boat yard at WW and a new marina somewhere thereabouts. Another boat yard is just outside Stratford.  CART facilities, particularly sani stations,  are fairly scarce IIRC.

As said by others there are a lot of locks, so a check of the stoppages would be a good idea so you don't get trapped away from water unexpectedly.

N

There is also at station at Wooton Wawen, and Stratford Parkway station that is accessible from the moorings at the bottom of Wilmcote locks.  So you have 4 places where you have access to a station that will take you into Moor Street or Snow Hill.