Channelglaze or Caldwell?

starman

Featured Posts

Just got some window quotes. After the first one from Channelglaze I had to have a lie down. The one from Caldwell was much cheaper so was obviously tempting.  

Channelglaze provide a lot of detail info about what you get but  Caldwell are pretty vague, even when asked how theirs compare.  

Anyone got any positive or negative comments on either firm?

My windows were over 4k eleven years ago. They do seem a ridiculous cost even though heavily built double glazed units. I didnt fit the boat, if I did I would go cheap and cheerful single glazed units again as I have done on previous boats.

I also looked for quotes about eleven years ago.  I finished up with Wesleys.   The windows are fine.  Wesleys helpful on the phone.

ETA: The Wesley windows are also clamped in from the inside, so there are no screws through the outside of the frame to go rusty and internally the clamps are hidden by the lining.  This was probably significant in my decision as well.

Edited by dor

4 minutes ago, dor said:

ETA: The Wesley windows are also clamped in from the inside, so there are no screws through the outside of the frame to go rusty and internally the clamps are hidden by the lining.  This was probably significant in my decision as well.

Does this mean that, once lined out, you can't remove and refit the window to address a leak or for a full cabin repaint?

5 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Does this mean that, once lined out, you can't remove and refit the window to address a leak or for a full cabin repaint?

It wasn't a problem for me, as i have wooden frames round the window inside so that there is no gap between the lining and the window.   I do need to take these frames out but they are only help by half a dozen screws so easy to remove and replace.   I deed need to trim out a bit of the lining after the inside frame was removed, but easily done and hidden by frame.  I'll try and find a photo.

image.png.e5a59a57ce7658cb5efe82a1f7c27784.png

Edited by dor

My windows are of Caldwell manufacture and have been in since 2004. A couple of broken catches and worn tape under hoppers has been my only problems. I have been to their office a few times and always found them to be helpful.

1 hour ago, David Mack said:

My Cglaze ones have no screws either on the outside. They are clamped in with a full surround frame inside the boat. Can be removed and replaced without touching any part of the interior.

My double glazes units are ace and well worth the money that the original owner paid for them ? whilst a get a bit of condensation on the frames windows dont. Mine are held in by rivets and could be removed and replaced from the outside with ease

I've got Caldwells, but I have an issue in so much as all the drain holes are blocked by the glass that appears to have dropped down. I contacted Caldwells to try and establish if this was a fitting issue or what, but Reg was ultimately very unhelpful and didn't want to know. So it's a thumbs down from me I'm afraid.

On a plus point, the design is very basic so not much to go wrong, and fixed internally.

• 1 year later...
On 15/01/2019 at 15:49, Pie Eater said:

Ours are Caldwells and were fitted new in 1999.

I re-attached a catch that came off last year and a few years ago I bought a roll of the hopper window "foam rubber" from Caldwells and  did all the windows again.

Other than that - no problems.

I'm about to order some new catches. Any advice? Ta muchly

Hi guys .

We have a mixture of Caldwells and Wesley Windows. 

Caldwells I have 3 large Windows  all powder coated , within 18 months or so powder coating is bubbling on two of the Windows from under the coating  , also had problems with water marks in the glass  , I have two fish eyes in the glass that I didn't notice till it was  to late . 

Wesley , I have 4 Windows and  two port holes , all powder coated to match the other 3  .

Up to now  all still looking great no problems .

Pretty much the same cost from both companies .

The Wesley Windows did seem better quality and well made ,  Caldwells just seemed pour quality  and I  had problems with all 3 Windows. 

As some point I will have to replace the 3 Caldwells  Windows ,  when I get round to doing them I will go to Wesley Windows.

Just my thoughts as a buyer of Windows from both companies. 

Regards Greg. 

On 17/01/2019 at 11:02, Johny London said:

I've got Caldwells, but I have an issue in so much as all the drain holes are blocked by the glass that appears to have dropped down. I contacted Caldwells to try and establish if this was a fitting issue or what, but Reg was ultimately very unhelpful and didn't want to know. So it's a thumbs down from me I'm afraid.

On a plus point, the design is very basic so not much to go wrong, and fixed internally.

If the glass is held against the frame with rubber cord on the inside then you may be able to fix this be it with a little risk. I managed to work a small FLAT bladed screwdriver under the glass from the outside and then  with great care lever the glass up back into place. Being toughened glass you can not afford to chip it or over stress it. If i had kept the boat this summer's job would be to have got some rubber cord of a suitable diameter, pull the cord out of the frame and then work a short length of new cord under the window either side of the drain hole to stop the glass falling down. The replace the clamping cord (a teaspoon handle seems a good too for this) but do not push it into the base of the channel so it can ride under the glass.