June holiday advice please

Bosvelder

Featured Posts

Hi all, first post here, thanks everyone for a great resource. 

My wife and I are coming over in early June from South Africa for a family get together. There’ll be 7 of us altogether and we’re interested in doing a week on a nice canal. I’ve done quite a bit of reading, but the massive choice is a bit daunting, so I’d really appreciate your advice on a few things:

- we’re all adults (40s to 70s), so I’m assuming renting two boats would be better than renting one massive one to fit 7. Is this true?;

- I think we’d like to travel on a system that is more rural, ideally quieter, but still has a decent choice of pubs for meals, walks, etc. From what I’ve read the Caldon or Ashby might fit this descrption. Any thoughts on these or other options would be appreciated;

- and any thoughts on reputable rental companies would be most welcome. 

Thanks in advance!

best

Bosvelder

With 2 boats you may like to consider a wide canal then you can share the locks, makes it much easier.

Rural as you like, the Leeds Liverpool Canal. And not busy even in school holidays. Max 62 foot boats.

You may be able to hire one way to save turning around, you will see more that way.

Personally I would prefer one large boat, then everyone is together and easier for doing the locks. As others have said above if you take two boats i would definitely choose a wide canal so you can share locks.

There aren't many hire boats with more than 8 berths, and those with 8 will probably have 2 in the "lounge" (needing making up each evening and dismantling each morning) and perhaps 2 bunk beds.    Seating, storage space, drying space if wet, etc for 7-8 adults will be tight.  And even if it is sunny, at any one time a couple of you might have to be "indoors".  So although in theory an 8-berth is big enough, in practice it will be quite crowded and you would really need to keep the amount of "stuff" you take to a minimum.   I have hired an 8-berth boat for 5 people before, and at times it still didn't seem like there was much "spare" room!

So long as your party won't mind being rather crowded in the boat, I would recommend that you hire one big boat to save the money and avoid having to do each narrow lock twice; after all it's only for a week. On most canals that would mean a 70 foot narrow boat, purpose built for the hire trade with enough berths. On some up north where the locks are a bit shorter the boat would be shorter to match. If you want the space of two narrow boats then hiring on a wide canal makes sense so you can share locks.

Have you considered how your group will feel about doing locks? For example, the Ashby has none and the Leeds and Liverpool quite a lot. Given your numbers and ages, you might well be happy to do some locks, it's a part of the canal experience after all. It only requires basic fitness, and you're mob-handed so should manage fine. A hire company will give you a short introductory talk when you pick up the boat, but for an inexperienced crew it makes sense if some of you have read up in advance; there's a good guide you can download from the CRT website:

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/boating/a-guide-to-boating/boaters-handbook

Some (probably disjointed) thoughts -

The best canals over here are narrow. 'Best' means things to do, scenery and pubs

Whatever waterway you target involves  a lot of cruising slowly and after a while that can become tedious. Thus the 'occasional' lock comes as a welcome diversion.

There are hire boats which can accommodate a number of people (say more than 5), but they are targeted at single sex groups, thus tend to be rather Spartan in facilities.

Two boats will be expensive - but you'll have more choice.

If you 'organise' the boats into two teams (without being too regimented) you may find that you can make respectable progress together or just arranging to meet up at a fixed venu.

If breaking into teams is not acceptable, how about switching from the canal system and instead go on the Thames? Indeed there may even be a boat that can accommodate all of you? Plenty of things to do and see.

I've run out of selling points - have a think  about what will work and what wont and come back. It could take some time - but it's worth doing some analysis - folks on here will help.

LeBoat at Benson (on the Thames) have three boats that can accommodate 8 people. These are  large river cruisers - perhaps more usable space that on a narrowboat

Oxfordshire Narrowboats at Lower Heyford (Oxford canal) have several boats that will accommodate 8 people. You could do a joint canal / river cruse from there, A very nice company.... 

Edited by OldGoat
additional information

Wow - thanks everyone for you input.

@Boater Sam I had a quick look at the Leeds and Liverpool, looks intriguing. Is there any particular stretch that's better for the rural aspect? And any renters that you could recommend?

@Mike E-W Thanks will have a look.

@NickF @Cheese @Peter X I'll discuss the pros and cons of 1 vs 2 boats with the rest of the party, but I'm guessing they'll agree with @Cheese that 2 will offer more comfort.

@Peter X We're happy to do locks. Think it will be necessary for a bit of exercise after sitting around on board :) Mostly a pretty fit bunch, so that shouldn't be a problem. But I don't think we want to do 8-hour days with locks all the way. Some uninvolved cruising and landscape-gazing time would be nice. And enough moored chilling out time, would be equally important. Thanks for the CRT link, will take a look. Most of the group have done several canal journeys in France. Those of us that haven't have quite a bit of general boating experience, but none of locks, so that guide will really be helpful.

@OldGoat Thanks for the thoughts. As I type, the more I think 2 boats will suit the group better. Although this would be more expensive, we only all get together sporadically, so it's probably worth the outlay to make it a more comfortable and memorable experience. I think we'd prefer the canal system over the Thames, just because it would be novel for all of us.

The east side Leeds and Liverpool  is more rural, passing through the Yorkshire towns. The locks are more spaced out too and you have the fabulous Bingley 5 Rise staircase locks.

I am severely out of touch when it comes to hire companies, a Google search should throw up several.

See  https://canalplan.org.uk/cgi-bin/canal.cgi  to give you some ideas of times etc.

Sam.

Does it have to be a canal or would river cruising suit?

You could consider somewhere like the Norfolk Broads. Plenty of places to visit both rural and towns and a city thrown in if you so wish. No locks but several manned swing bridges if your boat height requires them swinging. It is tidal waters but there are plenty of novice hirers that tackle the rivers there.

It would be relatively quiet in June and there are boats to suit all party sizes. With a group of seven you could either hire one large boat or two slightly smaller ones.

The boats are all river cruisers so tend to offer more living accomodation then narrowboats.

Just an example of a few boats that might suit. 

Larger boats for the whole party:

https://www.richardsonsboatingholidays.co.uk/boats/broads-serenade/

https://www.richardsonsboatingholidays.co.uk/boats/broadsman/

Smaller boats with two required:

https://www.richardsonsboatingholidays.co.uk/boats/swan-ranger/

https://www.richardsonsboatingholidays.co.uk/boats/swan-romance/

https://www.richardsonsboatingholidays.co.uk/boats/swan-renown/

If you're happy with two boats - then the world  - English canal system is your oyster!

(IMHO) the nicest parts are / or involve using parts of the narrow system.

It's only immediately around Birmingham (perhaps a sweeping statement) that the canal is industrial, indeed most of the industry has 'long since' gone and replaced by smart housing.

If you choose the Oxford canal then any towns (there's only Banbury of any size) are quickly passed through.

If you haven't got an overall canal map - then get one..

There's an engaging set of YouTube videos dome by a Californian and an English lady - they've pretty much covered the whole system and you can pause the rapid motion bits to get a flavour of the surroundings. Also look at Canalplan, not only to plan and time your route but folks have added photos of many of the routes for you to evaluate.

Have a look at the suggestions and come back again. 

7 hours ago, Bosvelder said:

@Peter X We're happy to do locks. Think it will be necessary for a bit of exercise after sitting around on board :) Mostly a pretty fit bunch, so that shouldn't be a problem. 

I am only new to the canal world myself so I am not an expert ....  but doing the locks etc all adds to the fun of the canals.

36 minutes ago, bmp said:

I am only new to the canal world myself so I am not an expert ....  but doing the locks etc all adds to the fun of the canals.

Doing the locks IS fun of the canals. Without them it would just be boating down a muddy ditch....

Edited by OldGoat
  • Greenie 1

20 hours ago, OldGoat said:

If you're happy with two boats - then the world  - English canal system is your oyster!

(IMHO) the nicest parts are / or involve using parts of the narrow system.

It's only immediately around Birmingham (perhaps a sweeping statement) that the canal is industrial, indeed most of the industry has 'long since' gone and replaced by smart housing.

If you choose the Oxford canal then any towns (there's only Banbury of any size) are quickly passed through.

If you haven't got an overall canal map - then get one..

There's an engaging set of YouTube videos dome by a Californian and an English lady - they've pretty much covered the whole system and you can pause the rapid motion bits to get a flavour of the surroundings. Also look at Canalplan, not only to plan and time your route but folks have added photos of many of the routes for you to evaluate.

Have a look at the suggestions and come back again. 

Thanks OldGoat - will do.

The Caldon offers a good mainly rural canal, once you are out of Stoke on Trent, but that only takes half a day. You could hire from Black Prince at Stoke They are not far from the rail station which is on the main line between London and Manchester so easy to get to. Some great pubs, not too many locks and easily doable in a week.with the added bonus of a steam railway to ride on at Cheddleton or Consall Forge

Edited by captain birdseye

I don't really rate the Caldon.  It's ok but the first bit is ugly and I found the rest fairly uninteresting.  Both the Llangollen and the South Stratford knock spots of it for a holiday cruise.  For a relaxing week I'd either do the Llangollen from Swanley or Wrenbury, or the GU / South Stratford starting on the GU at Kate Boats.  Both choices are beautiful and they both take you to places of interest.

The one point I would make is don't be suckered in by the '4 lock miles per hour' claim made by some (mostly hire campanies). I would suggest that 2.5 to 3 is far more realistic.

Frank

PS (I know that's 2). For a one off trip I would vote for the Llangollan, busy but consistantly attractive with most pubs well suited to dealing with larger parties

If you choose carefully you can find boats that will work for 7 people, but unless somebody is happy with a top bunk 1 person will have to sleep in the convertible bed in the living area -- not a big issue, but the bed has to be dismantled every morning and reassembled every night, that person can't go to bed until everyone else has, and there's not much space to sit until they've got up in the morning. Two four-person boats would be much more comfortable -- I'd recommend not filling every available berth, we usually get a nominally 6-berth boat for 4 of us.

I wouldn't honestly recommend the Llangollen, the aqueduct is splendid (and terrifying!) but a lot of the rest of it is pretty boring, it gets very busy in the summer, and being so rural it really doesn't have many good pubs. For what you're looking for the Leeds and Liverpool would be a good choice; I've used Shire Cruisers several times and would recommend them, an out-and back trip from Barnoldswick would take you to Bingley or Rodley depending on how hard you want to work. Great scenery, some lovely towns and great pubs. And wide locks means you can travel as a pair, which means much less effort/delay for two boats than with narrow locks.

https://www.shirecruisers.co.uk/routes/leeds-liverpool-canal-routes-east.php

Edited by IanD