Vetus engine rough above 1800 revs

Rivelin

Featured Posts

5 hours ago, bizzard said:

Often mounted vertically with the bayonet cap at the bottom, you may have to dismount the pump to get at it properly. There should also be a light spring inside which keeps the filter seated and pushes on the cap to keep the bayonet pins engaged.

If a facet pump is mounted horizontally, this can lead to rough/odd running, particularly when coupled with low fuel levels. 

But i don't doubt that the problem here is with the filter. 

Edited by BWM

57 minutes ago, BWM said:

If a facet pump is mounted horizontally, this can lead to rough/odd running, particularly when coupled with low fuel levels. 

But i don't doubt that the problem here is with the filter. 

My little Vetus pump was mounted horizontally. Well, when I bought the boat it was just flapping around on its pipes, but then I bolted it to the block... horizontally. 

1 hour ago, WotEver said:

My little Vetus pump was mounted horizontally. Well, when I bought the boat it was just flapping around on its pipes, but then I bolted it to the block... horizontally. 

Is it the same as the facet? I had regular problems with the one fitted to my sons boat, it seemed to replicate the symptoms of air in the system. This stopped when mounted vertically as recommended by the manufacturer. 

17 minutes ago, BWM said:

Is it the same as the facet? I had regular problems with the one fitted to my sons boat, it seemed to replicate the symptoms of air in the system. This stopped when mounted vertically as recommended by the manufacturer. 

Dunno the make. It was the same as the one in post #21

• 2 weeks later...

That photo is of a sedimentor/ water trap and it will leave about 20% of any water in the fuel and smaller dirt particles. It can easily be converted to an agglomerator (filter cum water trap) by replacing the centre section with a CAV 296 filter element but some 296 pattern filters are pleated filters. I would stick out for a pocket (Swiss roll) type element.

On 16/01/2019 at 00:10, Mac of Cygnet said:

Do all Vetuses have this fuel pump filter?   Mine is the smallest, 2 cylinder one and I've been boating for 14 years (6000 hrs) in blissful ignorance of such a thing.  Do I have one?  I don't remember seeing it in the maintenance schedule in the handbook.  I do religiously change the other two fuel filters, though.

I have the same engine, it doesn't have an electric pump, there's no filter to change on the fuel pump.

37 minutes ago, The Welsh Cruiser said:

I have the same engine, it doesn't have an electric pump, there's no filter to change on the fuel pump.

That presupposes the OP's engine ID is correct and not something he was told when he bought it and Vetus/Mitsubishi never changed the ancillaries over the years the engine was in production. This could well be correct but it is not a 100% sure. Far too often people post things based on just one example and do not realise there are many possible variations.

33 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

That presupposes the OP's engine ID is correct and not something he was told when he bought it and Vetus/Mitsubishi never changed the ancillaries over the years the engine was in production. This could well be correct but it is not a 100% sure. Far too often people post things based on just one example and do not realise there are many possible variations.

Sure, I was referring to my engine.

• 3 weeks later...

I replaced the main filter, removed the little filter in the lift pump and fitted a big inline one, and cleaned out the water trap. They were full of gunk.

She ticked over very nicely afterwards.

Taking her out for a good long run at the weekend so I'll give it some welly and see how things go.

Thanks again to all ?

33 minutes ago, nickhindle said:

I replaced the main filter, removed the little filter in the lift pump and fitted a big inline one, and cleaned out the water trap. They were full of gunk.

She ticked over very nicely afterwards.

Taking her out for a good long run at the weekend so I'll give it some welly and see how things go.

Thanks again to all ?

Did you look in the tank?