Who wanted a Motorbike friendly Narrowboat ?

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

12 minutes ago, vanboosh said:

Too many portholes for me - I like it light and airy! although I very much appreciate the thought ☺️

But don't you think it looks much more nautical.Much more like a boat,than a floating c---van.

You could fit pigeon boxes for more light,or those light tubes I have seen in some modern buildings.

Think they are called  sun tubes.

I like that boat,it could easily accommodate a motorbike and with a long cratch cover would be a good garage. 

• Happy 1

3 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

But don't you think it looks much more nautical.Much more like a boat,than a floating c---van.

You could fit pigeon boxes for more light,or those light tubes I have seen in some modern buildings.

I like that boat,it could easily accommodate a motorbike and with a long cratch cover would be a good garage. 

Absolutely! I love the look of them, but as a live and work aboard, I need light and views and such.

11 hours ago, Mad Harold said:

The usual solution is to fit Houdini Hatches, which provide light, ventilation and another means of escape.

https://seamarknunn.com/acatalog/houdini-hatches-type-5-super-50-1605.html?gclid=CjwKCAiAyfvhBRBsEiwAe2t_i-Ubyb97EPQt94VWApCPQars13_j2iK46DSGLpFyVx7LUse5OnkrPRoCx8EQAvD_BwE

I have two on my boat, secondary glazed with removable perspex to catch the condensation drips in the winter, and they are excellent.

3 hours ago, cuthound said:

The usual solution is to fit Houdini Hatches, which provide light, ventilation and another means of escape.

https://seamarknunn.com/acatalog/houdini-hatches-type-5-super-50-1605.html?gclid=CjwKCAiAyfvhBRBsEiwAe2t_i-Ubyb97EPQt94VWApCPQars13_j2iK46DSGLpFyVx7LUse5OnkrPRoCx8EQAvD_BwE

I have two on my boat, secondary glazed with removable perspex to catch the condensation drips in the winter, and they are excellent.

Yes of course. A practical solution.

Regarding views,I have seen plenty of lovely scenery when cruising,but when moored a lovely view of the towpath and a wall or bushes,at one side and looking at someone else's  boat on the other.Depends where you are of course.

The advantage of portholes over bus windows is that it is harder to break in.

10 hours ago, BWM said:

Those refractive roof lights are very effective, not sure what they are called but work in much the same way as a bullseye. 

Decklights (although google has a problem distinguishing these from electric lights you put on your boat deck or on your garden boardwalk).

But you wouldn't want this type in the average narrow boat cabin.

glassian_glass_prisms__77523.1456787958.

8 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Or this 

Image result for pyramid boat deck lights prizm

That's the type i was thinking of, surprisingly effective. 

8 hours ago, David Mack said:

Decklights (although google has a problem distinguishing these from electric lights you put on your boat deck or on your garden boardwalk).

Very nice, but could lead to a sore head on all but the deepest of hulls!

8 hours ago, vanboosh said:

Do you get condensation problems with dog/pigeon boxes?

We had a steel one - and - yes we had condensation.

To overcome that we had a cover made which had clear panels in to align with the 'eye-balls' (bulls-eyes ?), still condensation so I took a piece of polycarbonate tri-wall sheeting (the stuff used on conservatory roofs) and make a square to fit inside.

problem solved.

In the warm weather when you need extra ventilation everything was easily removed to allow the 'flaps' to open.

With bulls-eyes you do need to ensure that their focal length does not result in the sunlight being focussed on bedding, woodwork etc.

Remember as kids lighting a fire with a magnifying glass - just the same has been known to happen on boats.

IMG_20140428_124317.jpg

9 hours ago, David Mack said:

I'm sure i have one of them for squeezing lemons... 

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

Steel pigeon/dog boxes don't have to be the cause of condensation problems if built the right way.

I was concerned about condensation from the roof lights when we had our hull built but Roger said there would be no problems the way he would make ours-- He was absolutely right.

Our roof lights are fitted over an up stand on the roof of the cabin and the lids have lips which turn down,this arrangement causes any drips to end up outside the boat. The clearance gaps and slot vents also provide the basic minimum of high level ventilation  needed for the cabin and because they are quite long there is less of a draft than a normal mushroom vent.

Our boat has only portholes but the usual comment from people visiting is "how light it is inside" and as previously noted there is rarely a good view out of the side when tied up. (some ones cabin side or a dogs bum on the towpath ;-)