How to disconnect this light!!!

Bread

Featured Posts

image.png.173f5940364ef8289dcf50747fd54dfe.png

This is the circuit breaker I have Roland. So when I disconnect the wiring from the two wires from the light, the trip pops out on the breaker circuit and the lights go out. Not sure what current is running through it. I can check when I'm home

I strongly suspect a bodge job.  Someone has probably done a DIY rewire and got it wrong.

Its probably best to remove the present lighting wiring,and get someone who knows what they are doing to rewire.

Had a house some years ago,and got a sparky in to fit a new central heating thermostat. Switched off at the fuse box and as soon as the sparky put his screwdriver in the thermostat BANG! the screwdriver went flying across the room.

It transpired that some previous owner had somehow managed to wire in the thermostat BEFORE the fuse box,so switching off made no difference!

If you're not sure of what you are doing, pay a professional. 

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Boater Sam said:

Mate? Mate!?   it is a wind up, sure now.  So, not the lights going out but the supply shutting down.

He's got conductive insulating tape. And a fuse that keeps going outside for a fag. Fuses don't "pop out" they blow, melt, FUSE! 

Perchance its a circuit breaker?

These were my suggestions, but I still think its a wind up. A short to the hull on the wiring when disturbed is the only sane answer. I bet it never comes back now "Matey" has had his fun.

I think you are wrong, he's had other posts of a basic nature, just as if he's bought a boat in a flurry of optimism, then, sadly, the scales fall from the eyes, we've all been there, it's called "being out of your depth" ?

I wouldn't be sleeping soundly, knowing that the wring, such as it is, is gently melting in to the boat insulation. It's all a bit mad.

Edited by LadyG

2 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Thats a lot of electrics for a 12v system. I'm slightly intrigued by the wipers - what sort of boat is this? It might be more use seeing a pic of ths actual panel in use rather than a sales pic. 

.................. and a heater too, I think we once thought about two hot-air pipes, one up each trouser leg for overnights. Sadly never came to anything. A hot water bottle only lasts an hour in to a four hour stint, not the best idea.

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

.................. and a heater too, I think we once thought about two hot-air pipes, one up each trouser leg for overnights. Sadly never came to anything. A hot water bottle only lasts an hour in to a four hour stint, not the best idea.

Your witty responses far surpass your personality, which is that of a plank of wood. 

1 hour ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Thats a lot of electrics for a 12v system. I'm slightly intrigued by the wipers - what sort of boat is this? It might be more use seeing a pic of ths actual panel in use rather than a sales pic. 

It's probably for a narrowboat with a composting self wiping toilet.

We had a similar panel on our lumpy water boat but it didnt have a tunnel light. The mast was 70' high (not 7') so would not have fitted through the Braunston tunnel.

These panels do have a life of their own. Ours keeps blowing fuses going on strike when it gets upset with the water pump. When I say blowing fuses, it lights up as the switch contacts give up the ghost till you bang it with a hammer or theaten to go to Midland chandlers. Not a whiff of the button thingy popping out. Most likely the contacts on the switch are burning out and causing the switch to react. Go to a chandlers and get a new switch...but dont try MC as they dont have 'em. Braunston chandlers at the bottom lock do!

I suspect the insulation has gone on the wires, it looks like that very old stuff that gets brittle and falls apart (my boat still has some of it) . It may be that jerking stuff  about is enough for it to short out on the roof metal or just against the other wire. I think the ceiling out is probably the answer, it looks pretty awful anyway. Or just yank all the wiring out and do it again, it's not a major job. 

But I don't understand why all the lights would go out - there's four wotsits for them. Must be only one block,surely.

Edited by Arthur Marshall

1 hour ago, Bread said:

Your witty responses far surpass your personality, which is that of a plank of wood. 

Well balanced?

................ a chip on each shoulder?

Best to try make friends on here, you may get some solutions to your problems. Piss everyone off , and they may not be the ones you want.

11 hours ago, LadyG said:

Not a total joke, its very cold on the midnight to 4.0 am watch, out there in the North sea in winter.

Edited by LadyG

3 hours ago, LadyG said:

Not a total joke, its very cold on the midnight to 4.0 am watch, out there in the North sea in winter.

And the relevance of 12 to 4 watches in the North Sea to the rewiring of a light is.........????

Howard

7 minutes ago, howardang said:

And the relevance of 12 to 4 watches in the North Sea to the rewiring of a light is.........????

Howard

A lot of people in the North Sea have watches and they are useful for telling the time when you are rewiring the lights on a boat.

35 minutes ago, howardang said:

Howard

Keep up, you missed a bit, OP insults me, cos he does not appreciate a comment about heating with hot air, perhaps. Explaining a joke is never going to work.

He got a lot of stick from guys on this particular post, and I was the one who said I thought he was genuine. He then ignores all that, plus genuine advice and decides I should take a hit from him. I don't suffer fools gladly [him,  not you]. 

Best to let all his posts sink to the bottom of the well.............

I

Edited by LadyG
explaining a joke!

6 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Keep up, you missed a bit, OP insults me, cos he does not appreciate a comment about heating with hot air, perhaps. Explaining a joke is never going to work.

He got a lot of stick from guys on this particular post, and I was the one who said I thought he was genuine. He then ignores all that, plus genuine advice and decides I should take a hit from him. I don't suffer fools gladly [him,  not you]. 

I

God he's still at it. How do I delete a thread?

• Happy 1

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

I

So sorry. Although I have read all the contributions on this thread, but I didn't see any jokes, just irrelevant waffle, so I presume you are explaining that! (but still not relevant to the OP's question.?

Howard

I suspect that the cable insulation has suffered by being in contact with the expanded polystyrene insulation. This will have made the insulation brittle and by moving it around to disconnect the lamp a wire is now shorting either to the hull or to the black negative feed. As others have said, it really needs rewiring. 

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, WotEver said:

I suspect that the cable insulation has suffered by being in contact with the expanded polystyrene insulation. This will have made the insulation brittle and by moving it around to disconnect the lamp a wire is now shorting either to the hull or to the black negative feed. As others have said, it really needs rewiring. 

Thanks mate, I'll have a look to see if that's the case. Maybe a rewiring job like you say. 

8 hours ago, bizzard said:

The owl and the pussy cat went to sea in a beautiful pea green boat. They took honey and plenty of money,  and a watch wrapped up in a five pound note.

As a Lady...., I can get away with this

"O lovely Pussy! O Pussy, my love, 
    What a beautiful Pussy you are, you are
What a beautiful pussy you are"
Edward Lear
:P :P :P
Edited by LadyG