How to disconnect this light!!!

Bread

Featured Posts

Hi guys, 

Id like to disconnect this light, but when I disconnect it then all the lights on the boat don’t work. Granted I realise that it’s connected to the same circuit all the way around, but how do I disconnect it without disturbing the circuit? 

Any ideas? 

A simple solution without having to take feelings down etc would be appreciated. 

020D3FEA-CD22-4BBB-86FF-72A6AE7F07F0.jpeg

I meant ceilings not feelings...not really concerned about my feelings at this point 

• Haha 1

In some respects it's an interesting question.......looking at the whole picture it all looks a 'bodge up', doubtful fit out, wires in polystyrene, male and female connectors the wrong way round, don't disconnect it just rewire the whole lot. Would love to see some more pictures of the boat though.

Oh no, it looks too frightening to get involved with. Haven't we had enough " battery"  "alternator"   " Fan belt"  " wiring"  agro recently?  Shed wiring?  It could be a caravan!

I went and opened the gates of Hades mentioning my DC plugs,

Don't mention the war, I did once but I think I got away with it.

Unfortunately this isn’t a wind up. I really am that dim. Thanks for the few guys that replied though. It isn’t a 24v set up. When I disconnect the wires from that lightbulb then the fuse goes and non of the lights work. Just wondered how to disconnect it safely and to ensure the fuse stops shutting off. 

Thanks in advance 

Is this on a boat? Looking at the photo in your OP, those look like bricks in the bottom left corner.

Assuming that it is a boat, what voltage are the batteries? And if you take that light fitting apart, what voltage is the bulb inside, and does it glow brightly or dimly?

10 hours ago, Bread said:

how do I disconnect it without disturbing the circuit? 

Disconnect both wires. Insulate the ends of the wires with insulating tape. Do not connect the wires together, keep them separate. 

17 minutes ago, Mike55 said:

Is this on a boat? Looking at the photo in your OP, those look like bricks in the bottom left corner.

Assuming that it is a boat, what voltage are the batteries? And if you take that light fitting apart, what voltage is the bulb inside, and does it glow brightly or dimly?

Yea this is on my boat. I'm assuming they're 12v, but then again, they are huge batteries so they might be 24V. I've only recently bought the boat, so naturally assumed they were 12V. I'll check when I get in mate. Would that make a huge difference in terms of the fuse popping out each time I disconnect them from the lightbulb?

4 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Disconnect both wires. Insulate the ends of the wires with insulating tape. Do not connect the wires together, keep them separate. 

Hi mate, I tried that and the fuse still pops out and no other lights work. Someone suggested putting the wires together but I can;t see that working out to brightly

Mate? Mate!?   it is a wind up, sure now.  So, not the lights going out but the supply shutting down.

He's got conductive insulating tape. And a fuse that keeps going outside for a fag. Fuses don't "pop out" they blow, melt, FUSE! 

Perchance its a circuit breaker? And you have to reset it?

You have to be shorting the wires out to something, like the steel hull.

Are there any bare patches on the wires where they disappear into the insulation and you are getting sparking- shorting to the steel?

3 hours ago, Boater Sam said:

Its got to be a wind up surely?

Or do we have an " ex MOD" asking silly questions?

Troll warning? There is no virus warning on the message that I can find.

I corrected your slip of the fat fingers Sam, as you know I've yet to find a buyer for my flat, one is coming to have a look this week, fingers crossed. If this were my boat I'd be stripping out and starting again. No I would'nt ever think I had a 24 volt system, maybe a photo of the batteries might help to educate me. :)

I only know enough about this boat's electrics to say, Cripes!

OP: buy this book, and read it. then read it again. :) 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Boatowners-Mechanical-Electrical-Manual-4/dp/0071790330

Pat Manley wrote book on electrics only, Its cheaper, but I suggest you look t the kindle samples before committing.

There is a 12 volts fb page and 12v videos on you tube

Edited by LadyG

3 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I corrected your slip of the fat fingers Sam, as you know I've yet to find a buyer for my flat, one is coming to have a look this week, fingers crossed. If this were my boat I'd be stripping out and starting again. No I would'nt ever think I had a 24 volt system, maybe a photo of the batteries might help to educate me. :)

I only know enough about this boat's electrics to say, Cripes!

OP: buy this book, and read it. then read it again. :) 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Boatowners-Mechanical-Electrical-Manual-4/dp/0071790330

Could be, anyone in particular? 

Do you have any insider knowledge or form.? 

Bread, joking apart you are worrying. How about the 12v Bible, free to read on the internet?

?

• Happy 1

10 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

Could be, anyone in particular? 

Do you have any insider knowledge or form.? 

Bread, joking apart you are worrying. How about the 12v Bible, free to read on the internet?

?

I paid someone to sort my boat electrics, but then they had been done professionally in 1974, and never messed about with.

I had the 12volt bible, and it helped with technical choices, but not hands on stuff at my level.

the 12 volt website has all the proper kit for boats and offer advice, I can't recall the name of the company 

UPDATE

https://www.12voltplanet.co.uk/electrical-circuit-basics.html

Edited by LadyG

Mate? Mate!?   it is a wind up, sure now.  So, not the lights going out but the supply shutting down.

He's got conductive insulating tape. And a fuse that keeps going outside for a fag. Fuses don't "pop out" they blow, melt, FUSE! 

Perchance its a circuit breaker?

These were my suggestions, but I still think its a wind up. A short to the hull on the wiring when disturbed is the only sane answer. I bet it never comes back now "Matey" has had his fun.

So with the light connected all the other lights work and the lighting fuse / trip holds in.

if you disconnect the wires the fuse / trip blows. ( which kills the lights)

if its in series disconnecting it should kill everything but not the fuse

if its in parallel then removing it shouldnt stop anything else working, nor blow the fuse

logical deduction  suggests that disconnecting the light is overloading the fuse.

is the wiring  to that light by passing the fuse box and therefore creating a ‘big fuse’

i remember a similar situation where a friend wired in a cb radio straight to the battery terminals on the positive and to a handy negative bus bar. The day he tried to start thr engine having forgotton to turn on the battery master switch was memorable as he had also omitted  a fuse. Luckily there was a fire extinguisher handy.

6 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

So with the light connected all the other lights work and the lighting fuse / trip holds in.

if you disconnect the wires the fuse / trip blows. ( which kills the lights)

if its in series disconnecting it should kill everything but not the fuse

if its in parallel then removing it shouldnt stop anything else working, nor blow the fuse

logical deduction  suggests that disconnecting the light is overloading the fuse.

is the wiring  to that light by passing the fuse box and therefore creating a ‘big fuse’

i remember a similar situation where a friend wired in a cb radio straight to the battery terminals on the positive and to a handy negative bus bar. The day he tried to start thr engine having forgotton to turn on the battery master switch was memorable as he had also omitted  a fuse. Luckily there was a fire extinguisher handy.

Roland, that sounds plausible. I think disconnecting the light is overloading the fuse. Will I simply have to disconnect that wiring from the fuse box then?

If the current wiring is supporting the load on the rest of the system, and you remove it, then the fuse will continue to blow.

1) is it a fuse or a trip

2) if a fuse whats it rated at, and whats the  total load on the lighting system

3 what happens if you take the bulb out leaving the wiring intact, and does the light work.

i ask this because taking bulb out = breaking circuit.

if the hypothesis has any veracity at all

It means you have a major wiring issue.

And the light case may be making the circuit