radiator

Jrtm

Featured Posts

quick question my current under floor heating rad as broken, my fault I stood on it when I fell off the prop trying to get to the sturn gland to change the grease pipe.

it's only a 15mm bar with fins off it. it got very hot but didn't really do what I was hoping. I'm looking at replacing with a bigger rad but the only rads that fit in the gap are long oil coolers these have a 1/2 bsp fitting so are the same fittings as the rest of the system.

it's only a low flow no pressure system with a manual flow control valve in.

anyways these oil coolers will flow enough liquid and as water is thinner than oil the Water will go threw them with no problems but my question is would an oil cooler work?

i dont have the space to put in a normal rad but oil coolers are alot smaller so would fit in the gap.

Edited by billybobbooth

Yes, but how much heat it will give off is  a bit unknown.  Do you have any manufacturers info?

You will need to check that all the oil is off the inside of the cooler  unless it is unused.  Oil on the wall of the pipe will seriously reduce its effectiveness in a water filled heating system.

N

13 hours ago, BEngo said:

Yes, but how much heat it will give off is  a bit unknown.  Do you have any manufacturers info?

You will need to check that all the oil is off the inside of the cooler  unless it is unused.  Oil on the wall of the pipe will seriously reduce its effectiveness in a water filled heating system.

N

will be new one. so no need to worry about contamination.

I have no idea on how effective they will be but has to be better than a single 600mm strait pipe with small fins off it.

as the genral answer seams to be that an good thick well built oil cooler will at least flow the water threw it and have some form of cooling / heating think I'll just bite the bullet and try one. I can always install a few pc fans near them to blow a bit of air round them but it's fairly cool under the floor.

• 4 weeks later...

as its semi related, I've fitted and bled my new rad works lovely you can feel the difference from one end of my cabin to the other, so this is good.

my current system has

webasto to calorifier and back all using 22mm pipe, hot water runs all the time (don't always need heating)

off this 22mm I have 2 rads

1 is my new one running 15mm pipe off the 22mm main ring, this makes a loop as well so 15mm off the webasto output and 15mm onto the return side

my other is a single tube 15mm again off the main ring but this runs off the output line only no loop.

the second one I'm removing but what I want to do is remove the 400mm section of the loop and replace with 2 15mm rads running next to eachother so take the 22mm webasto output line split into 2 15mm lines threw the 2 rads and back to 22mm pipe

is this a method that would work? there rads run all the time and sit one each side of my engine water intake, i cant put a engine calorifier in as the engine intake is 2inch - 1 1/2 bsp pipe. or do I need to put there as a loop as Well rather than as a replacement 22mm pipe?

I don’t know about anyone else but I finds your post difficult to follow. Perhaps you could include some pictures ? 

12 hours ago, billybobbooth said:

my other is a single tube 15mm again off the main ring but this runs off the output line only no loop.

So how does this work then ? I don’t understand is only one end connected ? 

The next two paras make no sense to me (sorry) can you try to clarify what you mean e.g.engine calorifier what’s one of those ? Do you mean a calorifier heated by the engine coolant system ? You already have a calorifier heated off your webasto you say ? So does this have another coil that you want to use to heat the calorifier from the engine? 

A clearer description will help the clever people on here help you

ill try taking some pics today, if I can get the floor up.

engine calorifier I ment as a way of heating the input raw water so it's not freezing cold when entering the engine as it is now, some peoples system has 2. 1 for heating hot water 1 for warming engine cooling water.

I was hoping to put the new 2nd rad next to my intake water pipe to help a cool the webasto system down better with the add benefit that I can help defrost / warm engine intake water temp by a degree or 2 in the process.

my biggest problem is I only have a back cabin so I can't add much to the system to cool it easy to stop the webasto kicking in and out. as the system only runs in the engine room, i also have to be carefull not to over dry the wood otherwise I get bigger problems!!!

I am intrigued. Why do you want to cool your Webasto? I just turn mine off. I assume you are cooling it to stop it cycling on and off - but aren't you then just wasting heat by having the extra radiator heating nothing? Our eberspacky thingy is 2ndary heating. I'd never dream of leaving it on for hours. 

Also, what's this about pre heating the intake water for the engine! 

yes and no,

sometimes were not on the boat long enough to use the cabin stove, but will be on there more than a few hours the heating under the floor in the back give off a semi good heat for this sort of thing, the prob is I can't be assed with keep turning it on and off when trying to do other things so I need to try and get its so it either dosnt turn off and on (be hard) or at least make it a longer cycle. I also want to keep any frost in the winter down under the floors as its got all the raw water engine cooling pipes there so want to use it as a semi defrost system.

ive looked at under my floor and I can't run the new rads in replacement of 22mm pipe as i don't have enough room so I'll have to put them in indervidualy.

ive checked my engine room rad and it's set up the same as my back cabin one, so system has

4 items at mo

webasto 22mm pipe with a hot water calorifier at the end this is in series

back cabin rad has 15mm pipes in parallel to the main loop

engine room rad (15mm tube with fins) has 15mm pipes in parallel to the main loop. (I thought this was in series)

so 1 of my new rads ill replace the current engine room rad pipe.

the other ill add in, it's weather I put both these new engine room rads in parallel as the rest are or in series, the reason I ask is the water pump on the webasto dosnt seam to pump very fast so if I open the back cabin rad fully it only just circulates the full system, or if I need to add another pump in the system.

if you read the webasto installation instructions they say to put everything in parallel with the main ring using 22mm pipe and any rads to be fed by 15mm.

ill add s pic later on of what I have