Do you liveabroad? Show us your digs

golden_chapati

Featured Posts

Nice one, very much envious, about living on a boat bit.

just curious but as you say `kitting it out` with £3k. Not going to get you far unless you want real basic. It will be over £2k for the heating of water and cabin heating.

Hope it all works out

Captain Faffer :)

1 hour ago, golden_chapati said:

Hi all,

I'm close to buying a narrowboat. I have about 3k to spend on kitting it out inside. I was hoping you could post some pictures so I can get some inspiration! Would love to see what you've done with yours!

Not sure this is a good idea what with thefts from tow paths etc., etc.

Edited by Ray T
  • Greenie 1

Just now, Ray T said:

Not sure this is a good idea what with thefts from tlw paths etc., etc.

I get what you mean but we all see insides of boats all over the net and on here. How can they tell what boat is what?

13 minutes ago, W+T said:

I get what you mean but we all see insides of boats all over the net and on here. How can they tell what boat is what?

Maybe if the 'baddies' see you posting pictures of your boat and decide they fancy the TV they may walk the canal at Radcliffe, looking for a boat called "Faffer".

• Haha 1

Just now, Alan de Enfield said:

Maybe if the 'baddies' see you posting pictures of your boat and decide they fancy the TV they may walk the canal at Radcliffe, looking for a boat called "Faffer".

But my boat isnt called Faffer ;) 

I see pics all over of interiors of boats from the outside as well as inside. If a gob shite sees a nice boat on here then they will just think that there could well be something worth nicking wouldnt they.

I'd wait until you get your boat as there are bound to be a long list of things to be fixed and things you will want to ditch and replace. Some boats come with a lot of stuff. Others dont. A new stove will set you back best part of £1000 when you find it is cracked. What spares are you going to buy?

42 minutes ago, golden_chapati said:

Ha, well I'm buying second hand so heater, etc will be there. I just meant maybe a new kitchen, new paint job, new flooring, and maybe some nice houseplants :)

Not sure houseplants are a great idea - no window sills...

1 hour ago, golden_chapati said:

Ha, well I'm buying second hand so heater, etc will be there. I just meant maybe a new kitchen, new paint job, new flooring, and maybe some nice houseplants :)

You do know what BOAT means (bring out another thousand!) - good luck with that budget - IMHO always budget 10% of PP to remedy stuff that matters that you haven't found then cosmetics on top.

1 hour ago, Ray T said:

Not sure this is a good idea what with thefts from tow paths etc., etc.

I'm fairly certain that this has already happened after exposure on some London based Facebook groups, along with folks inadvertently giving away information on their likelihood of being at home!

8 hours ago, tree monkey said:

Would you have the power to keep the growlights working?

Surely there's enough natural light getting into a boat to enable plants to grow without artificial light? Or does it depend on whether you have windows or portholes?

Edited by Athy

1 hour ago, zenataomm said:

I lived abroad in 1974 for three and a half years.  

It was Northern Spain, Pamplona, where they run the bulls through the streets.

Some times the years do seem to 'drag' don't they.

I had similar - I went to Liverpool for the day and that felt like several years.

14 minutes ago, Athy said:

Surely there's enough natural light getting into a boat to enable pants to grow without artificial light? Or does it depend on whether you have windows or portholes?

In one marina we moored in a boat very close to us used 2 electricity bollards (each with 2 plugs in use), apparently it was to power his jacuzzi, but his herb beds were very 'lush'.

• Greenie 1

8 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

In one marina we moored in a boat very close to us used 2 electricity bollards (each with 2 plugs in use), apparently it was to power his jacuzzi, but his herb beds were very 'lush'.

I thought that only "East European Lady"s narrowboat had a jacuzzi. 

8 hours ago, golden_chapati said:

Hi all,

I'm close to buying a narrowboat. I have about 3k to spend on kitting it out inside. I was hoping you could post some pictures so I can get some inspiration! Would love to see what you've done with yours! 

I’m also a looking to be boater considering what boat type and interiors are available, I use “yahoo images” or “Google images” and type in “narrow boat interiors” or Narrow boat engine room” to see what is out there and come up with quite a few pictures ideal for inspiration and decoration ideas.

Cheers Mick