Calcious deposit. :-)

Featured Posts

Hi all.

Just put my recently acquired boat into dry dock for blacking. It's spent it's life ( 17 years) on the K&A..which is very chalky. It's been pressure washed off..and is still covered with a thin natural chalk deposit which is like concrete. I'm lead to believe this is typical for this area.The boat yard ( who have no interest in telling me this was the case if it wasn't ) have been reassuring.

The anodes haven't been changed for 8 years but are still serviceable..so reinforce what I'm being told, that the nature of the water leads to little corrosion.

I attended as I was keen to see the condition of the base plate but short of taking a chisel to it...there is no way to do this. Even the prop has got a light  coat of chalk. Certainly the pressure washer had no impact. 

I've told myself that all is well under these circumstances.

Do you think I'm right to conclude that?.

Similar happens around the GU Tring summit.  I usually descale the prop with a small angel grinder and used to go along the waterline with a big begger.   Since it was epoxied the chalky deposit comes off with a good  pressure washer.

You could thin the first coat of  blacking so it soaks into the 'concrete' but unless the black is really thick stuff I'd not worry.

N