Wood (and coal) burning stoves to be banned

Momac

Featured Posts

4 hours ago, Cheshire cat said:

It will probably be down to local authorities to enforce. They haven't got the staff to do it. 

My defra approved stove also comes in a non-approved version. The only difference is the slide that cuts off the air supply. On the approved one you can't cut off the air supply to the extent that the fire just smoulders. It's impossible to keep it in overnight but it's no hardship to build a new fire each morning.

One imagines that whilst the sale of the non-approved version will be banned, it might be possible to buy replacement parts for the non-approved version?

That could mean that some NORTY people convert approved stoves into useful stoves....

Simple 

my boat has the biggest centraly mounted hot air ducted heating device already installed. Flash up the central heating close the engine hole doors and voila. As a by product my batteries may charge if needed.

when the noise police complain about the hb2 running after 8 pm i will simply state its a big ebosplosher or whatever those dreadful noisy things are called.

ill put the eco fan on the heads, itll make sod all difference because...they dont work

2 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

Simple 

my boat has the biggest centraly mounted hot air ducted heating device already installed. Flash up the central heating close the engine hole doors and voila. As a by product my batteries may charge if needed.

when the noise police complain about the hb2 running after 8 pm i will simply state its a big ebosplosher or whatever those dreadful noisy things are called.

ill put the eco fan on the heads, itll make sod all difference because...they dont work

Ebersplutter

17 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

I stand corrupted .. its 0040 in the morning and 26 degrees cant sleep

46 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

H

It's 4.00 in the afternoon and 2.6 degrees, nearly asleep. It should work. Are you plugging it in right?

19 hours ago, Bee said:

S'not the stoves, its what you burn on them. Nice dry wood and smokeless should be OK but how anybody on the towpath is going to work out the water content of your log I don't know. But is there anything more evocative than the smell of some good old sulphurous smoke on a dark and frosty night as you come home from the pub and stagger past a working pair. Magic. Cough hack spit.

You can purchase a moisture content meter for not to much money this ban should it come into force is a not insurmountable problem or Joe (Metropolis) public but could be a BIG problem for a way out in the country liver I know that if I couldn't harvest & burn wood the cost of heating my home would be a great deal more expensive but as  there are only 2of  the 4 houses within a 4km radius used in the winter i guess we might be OK;

10 minutes ago, X Alan W said:

You can purchase a moisture content meter for not to much money this ban should it come into force is a not insurmountable problem or Joe (Metropolis) public but could be a BIG problem for a way out in the country liver I know that if I couldn't harvest & burn wood the cost of heating my home would be a great deal more expensive but as  there are only 2of  the 4 houses within a 4km radius used in the winter i guess we might be OK;

You've nothing to worry about, I bet some of that wood pile has been drying out for 10 years. Planning for firewood Armageddon you French country dwellers.

the problem as I expect is we will only be able to get 1 or maybe 2 makes of stove small enough for a narrowboat, as all that will be for sale are approved stoves for houses, we are too small a market for manufacturers to bother paying to get approval on their little stoves, they will just stop making them.  Doesn't stop a backstreet welder though, if you trust it not to leak CO into your boat.

3 minutes ago, Detling said:

the problem as I expect is we will only be able to get 1 or maybe 2 makes of stove small enough for a narrowboat, as all that will be for sale are approved stoves for houses, we are too small a market for manufacturers to bother paying to get approval on their little stoves, they will just stop making them.  Doesn't stop a backstreet welder though, if you trust it not to leak CO into your boat.

Are you suggesting that most stoves installed in narrowboats are made specifically for boats? Obviously the Boatman is, but I suspect you'll find plenty of Becton Bunnies etc. in houses.

5 minutes ago, Detling said:

the problem as I expect is we will only be able to get 1 or maybe 2 makes of stove small enough for a narrowboat

The last time I looked, Machine Mart had several Defra-approved stoves, some of which were quite small. 

12 hours ago, OldGoat said:

Precisely.

So much easier to restrict the manufacture on non approved devices than have the Thought Police visit every house and boat with a chimney and demand the removal of 'bad' devices.

Relatively straightforward to address with the main volume manufactureres, but much harder with the small fabricators who sell home built stoves on Ebay.

18 hours ago, Boater Sam said:

I love these unenforceable laws that the goodies and tree huggers foist off on the population, what a waste of parliamentary time and paper. Interfering busybodies the lot of them.

Yes, let's get back to the good old days of the pea soupers of the 1950s, those smogs never hurt anyone. Interfering do-gooders stopped all that. And let's overturn the ban on sending kids up chimneys while we're at it! ??

Seriously though, although this doesn't affect stoves on boats it does make me wonder how much soot and particulate matter we are all breathing in, either from one's own stove leaking into the boat when refueling, or from fumes that re-enter the boat from outside including from other people's boats. And on some days in winter we walk around outside in smokey marinas and towpaths. Most boat stoves aren't burning very efficiently because our chimneys are so short compared to buildings, and inefficient combustion creates more pollution per unit of fuel burned.

Still, it can't be as bad as living in a big city with all that diesel traffic exhaust I suppose, unless of course you happen to live on a boat in a city! ?

Edited by blackrose
  • Greenie 1

20 hours ago, Bee said:

You've nothing to worry about, I bet some of that wood pile has been drying out for 10 years. Planning for firewood Armageddon you French country dwellers.

My neighbor & I were discussing the stack  he had right at the back of his barn As best he remembers it was the first coop icing of the lower slopes to the N W of his property the best he remembers that was 20 years back this autumn moisture content at the moment is between 12/14 %

1i er

well tbh i think  its to late now to worry about climate change and every thing that comes with that now ..and all those do gooders  know this ...it just keeps them in a job thinking they can change it ,,,and please lets not forget burnt toast is bad for us ....

17 minutes ago, haza said:

well tbh i think  its to late now to worry about climate change and every thing that comes with that now ..and all those do gooders  know this ...it just keeps them in a job thinking they can change it ,,,and please lets not forget burnt toast is bad for us ....

But all those do gooders (daft phrase) have been warning about global warming  for a long time now, it's the do badders (!) Who have ignored the issue that have caused the problem.

Anyway this particular isn't about global warming it's about particulate pollution. 

Oh and burnt toast thing is media hype, as is much of this type of nonsense 

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.nhs.uk/news/cancer/warning-over-burnt-toast-chemical-acrylamides-cancer-risk/&ved=2ahUKEwihh8iupPLfAhXsSBUIHdxZAncQFjAMegQIBRAB&usg=AOvVaw2INvqiBd0CiOsRPym1WpSs

• Greenie 1

climate change and all what comes with it ...oh do badders daft phase but there you go ...as for the burnt toast at least you got that ,,,  clobal  warming climate change .particulate pollution dont it all mean the same thing killing the planet ,.media hype  does not banning coal burners wood burners and what ever  else the do badders want to ban. come under that one ...like the burnt toasty thingy ..

7 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Frozen chickens ?

My French computer is not always up with English wordingvyou probably know but it'a form of tree  cutting tht laethe tre sttilllive&growing to produce possibly 5 or more goe's at harvesting the one/same tree

1 minute ago, X Alan W said:

My French computer is not always up with English wordingvyou probably know but it'a form of tree  cutting tht laethe tre sttilllive&growing to produce possibly 5 or more goe's at harvesting the one/same tree

Slightly more than 5 more cycles, properly treated the stools can last 100s of years