Wood (and coal) burning stoves to be banned

Momac

Featured Posts

6 minutes ago, X Alan W said:

Sorry missed the Zero off stuff around us seems to depend on tree specie for #of harvests

There is an argument that trees treated this way can live forever, because of how they react when cut all the new growth is juvenile, so a constant cycle of rejuvenation. 

Getting very geeky now, I will stop..

Many people in this area have installed log or woodchip burners and have recieved large amounts of taxpayers money because they are "a good thing" Cant see how being paid to heat your own house is a good eco measure. I believe there may be wood chip fueled power station(s). Converted from coal fired? Cant get fencing posts for love nor money at the moment,as all the thinings are being chipped.

5 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

We like the infinite tree story.

It's not Yggdrasil is it?

Sorry to inform you, it's got Ash dieback and errr well died

:)

4 minutes ago, nebulae said:

Many people in this area have installed log or woodchip burners and have recieved large amounts of taxpayers money because they are "a good thing" Cant see how being paid to heat your own house is a good eco measure. I believe there may be wood chip fueled power station(s). Converted from coal fired? Cant get fencing posts for love nor money at the moment,as all the thinings are being chipped.

Yup Drax, it's sucking up all the spare biomass in the country,  the price of roadside bulk timber has shot up.

Firewood suppliers are getting desperate

36 minutes ago, X Alan W said:

My French computer is not always up with English wordingvyou probably know but it'a form of tree  cutting tht laethe tre sttilllive&growing to produce possibly 5 or more goe's at harvesting the one/same tree

Yes I am aware of coppicing (willow generally) as an example : used to provide wood to power stations. Drax power station has 1100 Ha under SRC (Short Rotation Coppicing)

15 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Yes I am aware of coppicing (willow generally) as an example : used to provide wood to power stations. Drax power station has 1100 Ha under SRC (Short Rotation Coppicing)

And Ash,Oak,hazel,Sweet Chestnut, Aldur, etc. 

I think the real problem is that the city has moved into the country. The trendies who bought in the country with their nice houses and genuine wood stoves are now in the suburbs surrounded by trendies who bought in the country so had to have a nice woodstove.. see where this is going. However hard to see solution when big populations like braunston dont even have gas.

So would it be OK to still burn soaking wet smokeless fuel in our stoves? as I would think that 50% of the bagged fuel we have purchased over the last 10yrs or so, has been very wet and slimy, and sometimes find that it’s so wet that water runs out of the bags when you tip out the briquettes into a scuttle.

3 hours ago, tree monkey said:

Yup Drax, it's sucking up all the spare biomass in the country

And quite a lot from the southeastern United States - carried all the way across the Atlantic and then by a rather indirect rail route from the Port of Liverpool to Drax.

3 minutes ago, David Mack said:

And quite a lot from the southeastern United States - carried all the way across the Atlantic and then by a rather indirect rail route from the Port of Liverpool to Drax.

Yup it's madness, biomass should be sourced locally, ideally using waste not virgin timber

• Greenie 2

4 hours ago, X Alan W said:

My French computer is not always up with English wordingvyou probably know but it'a form of tree  cutting tht laethe tre sttilllive&growing to produce possibly 5 or more goe's at harvesting the one/same tree

As per post 44.

44 minutes ago, David Mack said:

And right past what was the last deep coal mine in the UK.

Edited by Victor Vectis
Inserting the past tense

56 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Drax burns 8000tons per day of biomass, plus a lot of imported coal in the unconverted  boilers. I can't get close to that with the old  Epping. Will grants be available to convert to acceptable solid fuels. and do I  remember grants for new  Baxi grates for open fires when smokeless zones came in ?

Just fitted a Defra approved exempt stove at home to burn wood. Would not have passed Building Regs if not Defra exempt as we are in smokeless zone.

There are lots of choices even now. A stove is the heart of any home.

https://www.stovefittersmanual.co.uk/articles/what-is-a-defra-approved-stove/

Edited by mark99

Mr TM  from your posts I gather that either you were/still are involved in commercial logging /tree work. I service saws & mechanical tree harvesting machines for a company in the Midi Pyrenees for wages & supply of fire  wood we are required to plant 3 saplings  space permitting on every total clearance tree taken on certain sites interested if the UK has similar regs ?

2 minutes ago, X Alan W said:

Mr TM  from your posts I gather that either you were/still are involved in commercial logging /tree work. I service saws & mechanical tree harvesting machines for a company in the Midi Pyrenees for wages & supply of fire  wood we are required to plant 3 saplings  space permitting on every total clearance tree taken on certain sites interested if the UK has similar regs ?

Not commercial logging more Arb work but am now involved in survey and work specification.

There is no general law to replant any tree felled, any replanting will be based on the site constraints/ felling license if required

Obviously commercial forestry will replant after harvesting and this will normally be based on a higher stocking level than the final mature tree count but this is simply to allow for failure and thinning to final stocking density. 

People cause pollution, particularly in developed countries like ours, with their propensity to consume. Given this fact, and that the government seems hell bent on changing people's lifestyles in order to reduce pollution, it seems strange that the same government pays people to have children, who will cause more pollution, and at a time when the purse strings are tight, somehow manages to increase these payments at each and every budget. More than strange actually; truly bizarre.    

6 hours ago, The Welsh Cruiser said:

People cause pollution, particularly in developed countries like ours, with their propensity to consume. Given this fact, and that the government seems hell bent on changing people's lifestyles in order to reduce pollution, it seems strange that the same government pays people to have children, who will cause more pollution, and at a time when the purse strings are tight, somehow manages to increase these payments at each and every budget. More than strange actually; truly bizarre.    

It's part of the plan - to burn excess lardy kids in a few years time.

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1