Wood (and coal) burning stoves to be banned

Momac

Featured Posts

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/01/14/polluting-log-burners-banned-within-three-years-coal-could-outlawed/

It seems wood burning stoves are responsible for creating more particulates (in the UK) than any other source. It would seem they are to be banned -  which made me think that might upset some narrowboaters.

well i dont know what to say abt this other then ,to say we would just  have to use the gas central heating .thats until they try and ban that ,,,,but im sure the usual suspects will be along soon to  comment on this ..it will start off all sensible then slowly go down hill  so be warned lol

21 minutes ago, MartynG said:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/01/14/polluting-log-burners-banned-within-three-years-coal-could-outlawed/

It seems wood burning stoves are responsible for creating more particulates (in the UK) than any other source. It would seem they are to be banned -  which made me think that might upset some narrowboaters.

As I understand it, they are planning on banning house coal and putting controls on firewood, insisting wood is <20% water content, not outrageous tbh although how they will police the firewood I have no idea.

The controls on stoves are, I think, a bigger issue, as approved stoves are limited in the ability to be shut down and slumber overnight 

1 minute ago, tree monkey said:

As I understand it, they are planning on banning house coal and putting controls on firewood, insisting wood is <20% water content, not outrageous tbh although how they will police the firewood I have no idea.

The controls on stoves are, I think, a bigger issue, as approved stoves are limited in the ability to be shut down and slumber overnight 

I reckon it will only apply to the poor sods who live in buildings? much like stove fitting regs do today. I think the government will have bigger fish to fry than a few of us canal trash.

3 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I reckon it will only apply to the poor sods who live in buildings? much like stove fitting regs do today. I think the government will have bigger fish to fry than a few of us canal trash.

Wow you're posh, I aspire to trash status 

• Happy 1

1 minute ago, tree monkey said:

I got some T shirts printed with " Canal Trash " on a few years back. Its an endearing term isnt it,  much like the yanks have trailer trash ?

Just now, Dr Bob said:

If they ban them, what am I going to do with my ecofan?

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

51 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

Then I would look up to you. 

But I would look down on Smelly

Eta 

Only posted to fulfill Haza's prediction

Edited by reg

S'not the stoves, its what you burn on them. Nice dry wood and smokeless should be OK but how anybody on the towpath is going to work out the water content of your log I don't know. But is there anything more evocative than the smell of some good old sulphurous smoke on a dark and frosty night as you come home from the pub and stagger past a working pair. Magic. Cough hack spit.

Don't panic Mr Mannering. Good article here explaining how it will work. Will prohibit sale of 'bad' fuels eg wet wood, extend smokeless zones to the whole country and only permit use of DEFRA approved stoves. 

Unfortunately the popular Morso Squiggle 1410 (like what I've got) is *not* DEFRA approved. Strangely the 1412 wood burning version *is* approved - So, will they ban the use of unapproved stoves, meaning I have to replace my stove - or will the ban just be on new stoves? 

I love these unenforceable laws that the goodies and tree huggers foist off on the population, what a waste of parliamentary time and paper. Interfering busybodies the lot of them.

Fortunately the boating fraternity are in a situation where most of this garbage can be ignored completely. And long may it be so. 

• Greenie 2
  • Love 1

14 hours ago, Bee said:

But is there anything more evocative than the smell of some good old sulphurous smoke on a dark and frosty night as you come home from the pub.

Absolutely not: when I heard this piece on the 10 o'clock new last night, it took me straight back to the Sheffield of my boyhood, where EVERYONE had a coal fire. I didn't go to the pub in those days, but as I walked from the 'bus stop on my way home from school on a cold afternoon that evocative coal-smoke smell was always in the air, reminding me of the warm and snug home which awaited me.

It will probably be down to local authorities to enforce. They haven't got the staff to do it. 

My defra approved stove also comes in a non-approved version. The only difference is the slide that cuts off the air supply. On the approved one you can't cut off the air supply to the extent that the fire just smoulders. It's impossible to keep it in overnight but it's no hardship to build a new fire each morning.

41 minutes ago, KenM said:

Don't panic Mr Mannering. Good article here explaining how it will work. Will prohibit sale of 'bad' fuels eg wet wood, extend smokeless zones to the whole country and only permit use of DEFRA approved stoves. 

Unfortunately the popular Morso Squiggle 1410 (like what I've got) is *not* DEFRA approved. Strangely the 1412 wood burning version *is* approved - So, will they ban the use of unapproved stoves, meaning I have to replace my stove - or will the ban just be on new stoves? 

But I think it is the sale of non-approved stoves, which is fair enough.  nobody will have to rip out their squirrels in 2022.

13 minutes ago, dor said:

But I think it is the sale of non-approved stoves, which is fair enough.  nobody will have to rip out their squirrels in 2022.

Precisely.

So much easier to restrict the manufacture on non approved devices than have the Thought Police visit every house and boat with a chimney and demand the removal of 'bad' devices.

It will probably end up as a foul-up as happened with the forced introduction of condensing boilers..... Oh and vehicle emissions.

So the topic title should be

Wood (and coal) burning stoves to be banned

Sale of coal and wet wood for stoves to be banned and some stoves not to be allowed for new house installations

More accurate, but just doesn't give the same blood pressure and rage spike.

Jen

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies
  • Greenie 3
  • Haha 1