Need help to identify engine

Tatguy

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, Tatguy said:

Yes i understand the smoke issue was just giving all the info 

It would take ages to start the engine and ran the battery down twice it would try to start but cut out 

But once going it would be fine  

White smoke when cranking?

I found this: https://www.landyzone.co.uk/land-rover/engine-identification.103238/

There are pictures in the first post that look like your engine

Richard

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

If it is landrover they are only 2 .2 volts and a big dropper resistance in series with it, Just think poor connection and they play up. Also the coil at the bottom snaps

Capture.JPGThis is the dropper Image result for series 3 land rover heater plug

Just to be clear, when you check the resistance of this kind of plug, check between the thread on top and the metal face just under the white ceramic. 

21 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Sorry I disagree looking closely at this photo I think its series , the yellow above the insulator and the red below but passing behind the insulator so looks as if it is also on the top

Capture.JPG

Agreed and one towards the back looks OK in another photo.

Question is how did the OP test test them when out. If he put 12V across them they are now probably burned out. Of he connected them up as they ar supposed to be connected and tried them then all that proves is there is an open circuit somewhere. Those 2V glow plug circuits often had a fuse in them, 50 amp I think.

It is a Land Rover engine, but exactly which one I'm not sure. The early ones were just under 2litre, 3 main bearing crank, then 2286cc then 2.5, 5 bearing cranks,  they look similar.  Put your engine number onto the Land Rover forum and they will tell what it is. The superb 2286cc petrol engine ex ''Rover 60 ''engine was far more popular than the diesel up until about 1980 for its smoothness  much better performance in power and speed. Petrol was cheap then. 

6 minutes ago, Tatguy said:

Tested at a garage by a friend negative to earth type 

I'm sorry, I don't understand that. The elements in these are fully isolated from earth, you can only check the resistance terminal to terminal. Not terminal to earth

I dont know a friend  just took it to a garage came back and said its broke 

Im in  no way an expert butim gratfull to have found out its a landrover 2.25 ill goto motorparts take the old and see if we can now sorce the replacments or ill but the ones you put a link up for thanks so much 

6 minutes ago, Tatguy said:

I dont know a friend  just took it to a garage came back and said its broke 

Im in  no way an expert butim gratfull to have found out its a landrover 2.25 ill goto motorparts take the old and see if we can now sorce the replacments or ill but the ones you put a link up for thanks so much 

Why, you may be buying bits to replace things that are not broken. The average car mechanic wouldn't have a clue how to test these heaters. Very few work on old landrovers.

2 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Why, you may be buying bits to replace things that are not broken. The average car mechanic wouldn't have a clue how to test these heaters. Very few work on old landrovers.

Asking for advice, getting it from people who 'know' the correct answer and then ignoring it seems to be an increasing phenomenon on this forum.

• Sad 1

31 minutes ago, Tatguy said:

ill goto motorparts take the old and see if we can now sorce the replacments or ill but the ones you put a link up for thanks so much 

I'd save yourself a trip and order them now. Assuming they are broken of course. I just overhauled a Dorman with these plugs and only had to replace the wires

Richard

5 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Asking for advice, getting it from people who 'know' the correct answer and then ignoring it seems to be an increasing phenomenon on this forum.

It is becoming a pandemic.

I'm beginning to lose interest in helping these know nothing but suddenly they are experts posts.

Is there an origami forum, may be simpler? 

12 hours ago, Tatguy said:

Here you go sorry i missunderstood

20190114_192838.jpg

20190114_192817.jpg

Looking at the first picture it would appear that the first two, easier to access glow plugs have been changed but those at the back have not. The green paint on them is a giveaway. 

11 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Absolutely, along with massaging information given to fit their original idea!

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Tatguy said:

Ok thanks everyone its a landrover 2.25 series 2 Thanks so much for your help new plugs went in and she started ?

Now check the old plugs, you could well have 3 or even maybe 4 good spares. DONT connect them across a 12 volt battery, they are only 2 volts each

Edit to add

Just disconnecting them all and reconnecting them MAY have repaired your problem

Edited by ditchcrawler
  • Greenie 1

38 minutes ago, Tatguy said:

The old ones were painted green with the engine!!

Ive purchesed a few spares now

again thanks everyone 

Yes, that's often the case. I salvaged some from a BMC 2.2 the other day, the plugs must be well over thirty years old. They were fine so they went into an ancient Dorman

Richard

2 hours ago, RLWP said:

Yes, that's often the case. I salvaged some from a BMC 2.2 the other day, the plugs must be well over thirty years old. They were fine so they went into an ancient Dorman

Richard

Did you have to get him to bendover first?

• Haha 1