Need help to identify engine

Tatguy

Featured Posts

15 minutes ago, Tatguy said:

Do you know what one ive broke down need to fix glow plugs need the name of engine for parts 

Not necessarily. 

If you are very lucky, the heater plugs have a part number on them that you can read without taking one out. If you are less lucky, you'll have to take one out

Can you post pictures of the heater plugs?

Richard

10 minutes ago, Stilllearning said:

The heater plugs look nice and bright and shiny, so it’s a bit of a surprise to hear that you need to replace them. Is it possibly an electric problem rather than a glow plug problem?

If it is landrover they are only 2 .2 volts and a big dropper resistance in series with it, Just think poor connection and they play up. Also the coil at the bottom snaps

Capture.JPGThis is the dropper Image result for series 3 land rover heater plug

Edited by ditchcrawler

39 minutes ago, Stilllearning said:

So the OP should check the wiring first?

Oh yes. The trouble with those plugs is, if you lose one plug or one connection, you lose the lot

A simple test - and be careful - does the resistor get hot? It gets very hot if the system is working, so keep your fingers off it

Richard

Edited by RLWP

Except the OPs photo shows the first glow plug has a parallel connection to the second. (If series one eye terminal should be under the insulator). To me that means they may all be in parallel and if the 2V plugs they ave probably all burned out now BUT the part that screws into the head looks very slim for  2V plug and suspect they may be pin type 12 V plugs. If they are there is a good chance the dropper resistor may still be in circuit and with 12V across it that may well have burned out.

Better photo showing the glow plugs and wiring?

Right - the ones at the back are the wrong ones

8 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Except the OPs photo shows the first glow plug has a parallel connection to the second. (If series one eye terminal should be under the insulator). <snip>

Agreed - a photo of the installed heater plugs please

17 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Except the OPs photo shows the first glow plug has a parallel connection to the second. (If series one eye terminal should be under the insulator). To me that means they may all be in parallel and if the 2V plugs they ave probably all burned out now BUT the part that screws into the head looks very slim for  2V plug and suspect they may be pin type 12 V plugs. If they are there is a good chance the dropper resistor may still be in circuit and with 12V across it that may well have burned out.

Sorry I disagree looking closely at this photo I think its series , the yellow above the insulator and the red below but passing behind the insulator so looks as if it is also on the top

Capture.JPG

Edited by ditchcrawler

4 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Sorry I disagree looking closely at this photo I think its series 

Capture.JPG

I'd still like to know ALL the plugs are wired like that, with the first being fed from the resistor and the last being connected to ground/negative

After that, I'd want to be sure all the terminals are clean and the nuts tight (I've been here fairly recently)

If they still don't work, next step is to check the resistance of each plug

Richard

Right,

Going back to basics - what is it your engine doesn't do?

Richard

Edited by RLWP

2 minutes ago, Tatguy said:

Just to clarify the plugs dont work 

We have removed and tested 

We need to replace just need to know what engine it is 

I do appreciate all the help ?

And what is it your engine does/doesn't do?

On the plus side, there don't seem to be many different kinds of those plugs. On the minus, they are not easy to get hold of

Richard

Just now, Tatguy said:

It started giving of black smoke having issues starting stopping but once warm ok 

Then it wouldnt start checked everything then took glow plugs out checked them they dont get hot at all 

As you crank the engine over, are you getting white smoke from the exhaust?

Black smoke doesn't sound like heater plugs. They only start the engine, black smoke is overfuelling when running

Richard