Anodes

yabasayo

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, yabasayo said:

From what I know about anodes, they are effective only for short distances, typically max 2 metres, and only line of sight.

Does that mean that most of the steelwork on most  narrowboats is inadequately protected by anodes or not protected at all ?

Yes, but the steel is covered by blacking (bitumen or 2-pack) so there’s nothing for the anode to protect anyway unless it gets scraped off. 

Never been really convinced about anodes in fresh water. Our narrowboats built in the 1930’ never had any and my 100 year old barge never had any until a few years ago.

and at the last docking were hardly worn although I do understand that being moored against steel piling which is now virtually everywhere can accelerate wear to the hull if not protected by anodes.

A boat sold from Stowe Hill recently (2006 build) had no anodes, it has been blacked ever year since new a part of a hire fleet and the hull steel was near perfect. The surveyor didn't even recommend fitting any!! Some 3 year old boats with anodes show deep pitting.

Discuss....

10 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Mine had anodes fixed in about 1990. When the boat started leaking two years ago because of holes in the hull they were as good as new. 

Either side of the nameplate on the wheelhouse probably wasn't the best place to install them. ..;)

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Mine had anodes fixed in about 1990. When the boat started leaking two years ago because of holes in the hull they were as good as new. 

Those gold anodes cost a fair bit more, but you sure get your money's worth out of them, eh?