What fuel?

rawsondsr

Featured Posts

I'm very happy with Excel nowadays. As said above, they do seem to change from time to time, but this has changed for the better. It meets all your criteria (which are pretty much the same as mine) plus it's pretty low on acrid fumes which many seem to have.

Ideally choose your fuel according to the size of the stove and grate area. Generally if you put the larger ovoids on a small stoves with small grate area its liable to bad drawing and keep going out due to bottom air by-passing the coals through the big gaps between them, until it breaks up and covers the grate better anyhow.  Phurnacite is a nice small ovoids, burns well and hot.   For medium sized stoves something like Multiheat, Brazier, For the more common a bit bigger size stove like Morso, any of the smokeless stuff you fancy really, Excel, Taybrite, Newheat ect ect.

Just felt the need to contribute here of my bad experience with Taybrite. Seems to take ages to get going properly, and even when there's a good glow throughout it doesn't seem to throw out much heat compared to other fuels I've used. The amount of ash is ridiculous, which I'm guessing contributes to the need to constantly be faffing about with it to keep it hot. I left it ticking over through the night and in the morning the ash had pretty much consumed every bit of glow left so there were whole ovals left unburnt amongst all the ash.

Did I mentioned the amount of ash? Normally a quick shuffle with the shovel and the majority of whats left falls through the grate to be emptied. It took a whole lot of shuffling to get rid of what Taybrite leaves behind. Oh well, only 5 more bags to get through, then I never have to think about it again.

On a more positive note, I've had past success with Excell from marinas. The best I've had so far have been coal merchant's own brand, or at least own packaged, ovals. A whole lot cheaper (£7 for 25kg rather than £11.50 for Taybrite) and much less work involved.

12 minutes ago, Rumsky said:

Just felt the need to contribute here of my bad experience with Taybrite. Seems to take ages to get going properly, and even when there's a good glow throughout it doesn't seem to throw out much heat compared to other fuels I've used. The amount of ash is ridiculous, which I'm guessing contributes to the need to constantly be faffing about with it to keep it hot. I left it ticking over through the night and in the morning the ash had pretty much consumed every bit of glow left so there were whole ovals left unburnt amongst all the ash.

Did I mentioned the amount of ash? Normally a quick shuffle with the shovel and the majority of whats left falls through the grate to be emptied. It took a whole lot of shuffling to get rid of what Taybrite leaves behind. Oh well, only 5 more bags to get through, then I never have to think about it again.

On a more positive note, I've had past success with Excell from marinas. The best I've had so far have been coal merchant's own brand, or at least own packaged, ovals. A whole lot cheaper (£7 for 25kg rather than £11.50 for Taybrite) and much less work involved.

Although it’s so popular, I’ve never got on with Taybrite in my Squirrel for the reasons you give. It seems to be 50% cement powder. I’m presently burning Stoveglow with good results, though it tends to form a clinkery mass across the grate overnight which needs breaking up in the morning.

6 minutes ago, BruceinSanity said:

Although it’s so popular, I’ve never got on with Taybrite in my Squirrel for the reasons you give. It seems to be 50% cement powder. I’m presently burning Stoveglow with good results, though it tends to form a clinkery mass across the grate overnight which needs breaking up in the morning.

Thirded. Its the one fuel I avoid like the plague.

Not sure if different stoves burn it any better but I've never had any bother with any of the other fuels in mine. I might just try and sell it to some other poor soul who doesn't mind the attention it craves. 

I use longbeach when available at my mooring. Have used Supertherm,but find it pongs a bit and makes quite a lot of ash.Heat output is ok though.

Longbeach is more "cindery" but burns hotter than Supertherm,and makes less ash.

We usually use Excel but was told that was being replaced by New Heat (?) - can't confirm that though.

We've been burning New Heat for about a month now, and are finding it really good. One 20kg bag lasts us just over 3 days, the last price paid was £10.50 a bag. Our stove is a Stovax.

Yesterday passing Midland Chandlers, we took them up on their special offer on Excel, buy over 6x25kg bags and get a 10% discount off = £10.80 a 25 kg bag.

Doing a quick add up it looks like we're carrying 225 kg worth of coal in the bow  ❄️ - with a fair wind who knows, we might not need to buy any more this winter ?.

44 minutes ago, Jennifer McM said:

We usually use Excel but was told that was being replaced by New Heat (?) - can't confirm that though.

We've been burning New Heat for about a month now, and are finding it really good. One 20kg bag lasts us just over 3 days, the last price paid was £10.50 a bag. Our stove is a Stovax.

Yesterday passing Midland Chandlers, we took them up on their special offer on Excel, buy over 6x25kg bags and get a 10% discount off = £10.80 a 25 kg bag.

Doing a quick add up it looks like we're carrying 225 kg worth of coal in the bow  ❄️ - with a fair wind who knows, we might not need to buy any more this winter ?.

I believe Newheat replaced Oldheat, no, it replaced Pureheat. Excel shouldn't be affected. :)

Phurnacite is the best we can buy readily. Agree with other comments re Taybrite, but don't think it used to be so bad. Picked up a few sacks of Homefire Olive, made from olive trees ( or stones?) recently. Smells lovely but burns very quickly and leaves a lot of ash. It seems to have been discontinued, maybe that's why it was cheap.

1 hour ago, Phil Ambrose said:

Burnt Taýbrite for the last 10 years and never had any issues with it, guess a lot depends on your type of stove and how you treat it.

I imagine Taýbrite is popular or it would have been discontinued, perhaps, maybe, possibly 

Phil

It seems to be behaving itself a bit more this evening but I'm not quite sure what I've done differently from the previously couple of days. Still a bit too much ash for my liking, but at least I can get through these 5 bags without feeling like I've wasted money.

23 hours ago, BruceinSanity said:

We tried Taybrite for the first time recently. Bought a couple of bags when refuelling.

Its c**p! Difficult to get going. Low heat output and loads of ash. No way will it stay in overnight.

I thought its maybe its just my stove not providing enough draw or something, so brought the 2nd bag home to try. Just the same.

Excel or Supertherm for me.