Advice please on Webasto dosing pump ( heater starting issues)

wetfoot

Featured Posts

Son's boat has Webasto thermotop C diesel water heater, bought brand new in November (replacing a very unreliable second hand one bought in the summer). It's fitted to a new genuine webasto fuel line, new webasto filter and new dosing pump that were installed in the summer together with the second hand heater. Diesel fuel line rises gently all the way to the heater and connections were made according to the manual. Heater runs off  new lithium batteries with a PD of a steady 13v at the heater connection.

After running fine for about 6 weeks the heater now occasionally won't start and emits lots of white unburnt fuel from the exhaust. Clearing the flood by removing the fuel line and starting a few times got it going again today. During startup with the fuel line disconnected I got about 14ml of fuel out of the pipe (I've heard the figure of 9.5ml mentioned for start up fuel quantity)

I'm suspicious that the new pump supplied with the second hand heater is the wrong one, either meant for petrol and not diesel or maybe the wrong spec, but it is very difficult to find definitive explanations of the different pumps and what their fuel rate / pump pressure isso I'm hoping someone here can help.

The pump we have is webasto model number 19486B (DP2 ?) with the cone shape on the inlet. Butler Technik say its discontinued but don't mention the fuel. Can anyone tell me the spec of this pump? ie is it for petrol or diesel and what its flow rate is? 

They also sell part number 86115A (DP30 ? )with a cylinder shaped inlet but this doesn't say which fuel

I've also found webasto model 89372 (DP30/2 ?) which www.techwebasto.com says is for diesel but others say is for petrol.

Finally the webasto installation guide seems to suggest that pump DP2 (with a cone shaped inlet) is for what they call 'Fuel', presumably petrol and the DP30/2 (with the cylindrical inlet) is for diesel, so I'm really confused.

Can anyone help me ascertain whether I have the right pump / what the right pump is and perhaps throw some light on any other reasons why the new heater isn't starting reliably so soon?

(Heater does have a 3yr warranty but I suspect there will be lots of caveats relating to self install and pipework not bought at the same time etc.)

Edited by wetfoot

I should add that the new Wesbasto I fitted is the one that has the marine ECU so low battery voltage shouldn't be a problem - although running from two new, fully charged lithium batteries with solar panel + generator charging, a low battery voltage is not expected to happen.  

Edited by wetfoot

I have a cylindrical pump , no "cones" involved, here it is just before fitting to my diesel webasto (top c)...

DSC04600.JPG

mp_and_h on ebay is where I got my kit, and so have a few people on this forum - seems to be good.

Edited by Johny London

Thanks for that.

Just to help out anyone else I've attached three photos of my existing pump (2nd, 3rd and 4th pic).

I've also attached three catalogue entries from ButlerTechnik (pics 5,6,7) showing my pump (as discontinued) and two others, one of which says it can replace the other even though it's nearly half the price?

Plus also attached are screen shots from the webasto workshop manual with drawings of the petrol vs diesel pumps (last pic) and from the Techwebasto catalogue showing two pumps for diesel or Petrol (first pic) with the same shapes as those shown in the workshop manual drawings but with part numbers that don't correspond to anything.

Hence my confusion!136901443_twotypesfromtechwebastoblueheat.JPG.be542c564298c3b9ed4e42b0910697b8.JPG

IMG_20190111_111814.jpg

IMG_20190111_120142.jpg

IMG_20190111_120225.jpg

82553B butler technik.JPG

DP30  - 86115A  Butlertechnik.JPG

my one 19486B  Butlertechnik.JPG

from webasto workshop manual.JPG

Edited by wetfoot
identified picures

Yes I think I get that I need a DP30.2 but this is where the problems start. For example

pbautoelectrics.co.uk say  DP30.2 is part number 1320292A  and is for petrol, not diesel 
but

www.prokes-auto.com say part number 1320292A is for both petrol and diesel

and

www.ebusexpert.com say part number 1320292A is actually DP30.02 and not DP30.2

but

http://tk.istore.pl say part number 1320292A is only good for the Airtop range (I have a Thermotop)

but then we have a different part number

http://www.ersatzteilbox.com say DP30.2 is part number 89620B or 89372A or 9012868C and is for diesel

and finally to complete the circle we have

www.fusespoutlet.eu which says part number 89620B is the same as 1320292A  and 9012868C

which brings us back to pbautoelectrics.co.uk saying it's for petrol!

Given the ridiculous price we are expected to pay for these pumps I cannot afford to get the wrong one and nowhere can I find the actual specs of these pumps so I can see what the differences are.

Edited by wetfoot