Ashby and moorings?

Chas78

Featured Posts

4 hours ago, Chas78 said:

As with all initial posts on this forum it has gone off the topic again anyway just to explain my initial post a little better my interest for moorings on the Ashby which i omitted to mention was for a friend not for me who has recently bought a narrowboat his first!! He wanted a safe mooring nearby and Ashby canal seemed the best bet but after looking at the moorings for him i would not recommend it ok this is only one part of the Ashby so can't vouch for the rest of it but Sutton Cheney is a no no as previous a scrapyard does come to mind one boat was even complete with a coffin on the roof:huh:    

There are several moorings on the Ashby both online and marinas.

We had a week's visitor mooring in Market Bosworth marina a couple of years ago. It wasn't quite finished but it seemed fine and the management were helpful.

The town is only a short walk away and has all the usual shops.

The only negative for us is that dogs were not allowed in the marina bar. I would not be surprised if this has now changed.

5 hours ago, Chas78 said:

... one boat was even complete with a coffin on the roof:huh:    

It's all in the eye of the beholder aint it? We love that boat (Black Pearl iirc..), the owners are proper creative types who have i think a vw camper and a motorbike of some sort which are all proper works of art - not to everyone's taste to be sure but we loves 'em.. 

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, lampini said:

It's all in the eye of the beholder aint it? We love that boat (Black Pearl iirc..), the owners are proper creative types who have i think a vw camper and a motorbike of some sort which are all proper works of art - not to everyone's taste to be sure but we loves 'em.. 

Yes, I've seen that boat, being of a 'nervous/imaginative' disposition, I've often thought how could anyone moor next to a boat with a coffin ?

That's one of the great things about the canal system, there certainly are some unique people. ?

• Love 1

We had a mooring the other side of hinkley for 6 months at  bramcote . It was fine but no facilities. We had to go to lime kilns for water and the marina for the elsan. It was fine  and safe, but in the end we discovered according to the log we were away more than on the mooring, so we let it go. 

Of course there is always the marina at hinckley or  at market bosworth , just dont upset the people in the flats opposite.

18 hours ago, frahkn said:

We had a week's visitor mooring in Market Bosworth marina a couple of years ago. It wasn't quite finished but it seemed fine and the management were helpful.

The only negative for us is that dogs were not allowed in the marina bar. I would not be surprised if this has now changed.

We are winter mooring in Bosworth marina. It is lovely here. 

18 hours ago, frahkn said:

I'd estimate that it's a mile - and mostly uphill! Going back to the boat is, of course, downhill, but by that time you've got full shopping bags to carry so it still seems just as far.

The town (village?) centre is attractive and has indeed a fair range of shops, so it's worth the trek.

8 minutes ago, Athy said:

I'd estimate that it's a mile - and mostly uphill! Going back to the boat is, of course, downhill, but by that time you've got full shopping bags to carry so it still seems just as far.

The town (village?) centre is attractive and has indeed a fair range of shops, so it's worth the trek.

Twenty mins there, fifteen back for us. It’s near enough for the excellent Chinese takeaway to still be hot back on board. Village has a good Indian restaurant and good chip shop as well. Couple of smart restaurants and choice of decent pubs. Reasonable shop, plus the marina sells some food and drink. Marina prices are reasonable. Staff are very helpful in marina, fuel sensibly prices. All in all as good as it gets for a marina mooring.

16 minutes ago, Athy said:

Wife and I are in our 60s and we stroll it, the slight slope is in the right direction - downhill coming back!

But if you are feeling particularly decrepit on occasion, there is a bus from the marina gate to the village.

2 hours ago, Athy said:

That's because it is.

• Haha 1

We bought our boat from Market Bosworth Marina, and kept it there for a few months before moving.  The marina is very exposed and it can get very windy. Our gangplank with various other bits attached to it blew off the rack on the roof. Fortunately there were no boats downwind of us, so no damage but we just had the problem of recovering it all. We secure all that with straps now, although as we now moor somewhere much less windy (Fazeley Mill Marina) we possibly don't need to, but better safe than sorry.

• 1 month later...
On 12/01/2019 at 04:18, roland elsdon said:

Most  popular moorings on ashby are 48 hr 

other bits can be shallow. Loads of moorings at stoke golding many of which are shallow. I would not recommend leaving a car in the tempting layby between stoke golding and dadlington by the canal.

i've left my car in this lay-by many times - no problems :) 

On 12/01/2019 at 04:18, roland elsdon said:

Most  popular moorings on ashby are 48 hr 

other bits can be shallow. Loads of moorings at stoke golding many of which are shallow. I would not recommend leaving a car in the tempting layby between stoke golding and dadlington by the canal.

i've left my car in this lay-by many times - no problems :) 

Does anyone have the contact details for the farmer/landowner who is in charge of the linear moorings in Shackerstone on the Ashby?  Thanks 

• 5 months later...

Hi All,

An update after me and the wife visited the Ashby on foot many times recently and checking out the linear moorings site at Sutton Cheney i must confess we are smitten so much so that although not suitable for my friend he now has a mooring on a (marina not for me):mellow: It does look very tranquil quiet and such beautiful countryside and have not heard a bad thing said except for the shallowness of the canal which is not a problem for us as our boat has a shallow draft and is just over 8 tons :) The cafe car park seems very safe and secure and locals report no trouble there  ok there are some artistic different individuals in the mooring line up but all seemed very friendly to us when we chatted to them from the towpath side to cut this short we now have a mooring on the this site and can't wait to moor up and enjoy The Ashby :wub: 

• Greenie 3
  • Love 1

• 2 weeks later...

Updated update we arrived at our new mooring at Sutton Cheney last night at 17:40pm after setting off at 06:00am so it took us 11hrs 40 mins to complete our journey of 30 miles and 13 locks in torrential rain! anyway we are here and it seems very idyllic quiet and very rural as expected and have meet the very friendly fellow boater/neighbours me and my family are looking forward to new beginnings at this lovely quiet retreat :wub:    

On ‎22‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 20:02, Chas78 said:

Hi All,

An update after me and the wife visited the Ashby on foot many times recently and checking out the linear moorings site at Sutton Cheney i must confess we are smitten so much so that although not suitable for my friend he now has a mooring on a (marina not for me):mellow: It does look very tranquil quiet and such beautiful countryside and have not heard a bad thing said except for the shallowness of the canal which is not a problem for us as our boat has a shallow draft and is just over 8 tons :) The cafe car park seems very safe and secure and locals report no trouble there  ok there are some artistic different individuals in the mooring line up but all seemed very friendly to us when we chatted to them from the towpath side to cut this short we now have a mooring on the this site and can't wait to moor up and enjoy The Ashby :wub: 

Had an overnight stop at the wharf a few weeks back, there are a few interesting vehicles in the car park. The custom VW looked great with some interesting additions and a custom built open 2 seater too.

• Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, waterdog said:

Had an overnight stop at the wharf a few weeks back, there are a few interesting vehicles in the car park. The custom VW looked great with some interesting additions and a custom built open 2 seater too.

Yes that's one of our neighbours :)