Jump to content
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Chas78

Ashby and moorings?

Featured Posts

4 hours ago, Chas78 said:

As with all initial posts on this forum it has gone off the topic again anyway just to explain my initial post a little better my interest for moorings on the Ashby which i omitted to mention was for a friend not for me who has recently bought a narrowboat his first!! He wanted a safe mooring nearby and Ashby canal seemed the best bet but after looking at the moorings for him i would not recommend it ok this is only one part of the Ashby so can't vouch for the rest of it but Sutton Cheney is a no no as previous a scrapyard does come to mind one boat was even complete with a coffin on the roof:huh:    

There are several moorings on the Ashby both online and marinas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We had a week's visitor mooring in Market Bosworth marina a couple of years ago. It wasn't quite finished but it seemed fine and the management were helpful.

 

The town is only a short walk away and has all the usual shops.

 

The only negative for us is that dogs were not allowed in the marina bar. I would not be surprised if this has now changed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Chas78 said:

... one boat was even complete with a coffin on the roof:huh:    

It's all in the eye of the beholder aint it? We love that boat (Black Pearl iirc..), the owners are proper creative types who have i think a vw camper and a motorbike of some sort which are all proper works of art - not to everyone's taste to be sure but we loves 'em.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, lampini said:

It's all in the eye of the beholder aint it? We love that boat (Black Pearl iirc..), the owners are proper creative types who have i think a vw camper and a motorbike of some sort which are all proper works of art - not to everyone's taste to be sure but we loves 'em.. 

Yes, I've seen that boat, being of a 'nervous/imaginative' disposition, I've often thought how could anyone moor next to a boat with a coffin 😄

 

That's one of the great things about the canal system, there certainly are some unique people. 👍

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, frahkn said:

The only negative for us is that dogs were not allowed in the marina bar. I would not be surprised if this has now changed.

Dogs never stand their round anyway.

 

Jen 😀

  • Greenie 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1
  • Horror 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We had a mooring the other side of hinkley for 6 months at  bramcote . It was fine but no facilities. We had to go to lime kilns for water and the marina for the elsan. It was fine  and safe, but in the end we discovered according to the log we were away more than on the mooring, so we let it go. 

Of course there is always the marina at hinckley or  at market bosworth , just dont upset the people in the flats opposite.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, frahkn said:

We had a week's visitor mooring in Market Bosworth marina a couple of years ago. It wasn't quite finished but it seemed fine and the management were helpful.

 

The town is only a short walk away and has all the usual shops.

 

The only negative for us is that dogs were not allowed in the marina bar. I would not be surprised if this has now changed.

We are winter mooring in Bosworth marina. It is lovely here. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, frahkn said:

 

 

The town is only a short walk away and has all the usual shops.

 

The only negative for us is that dogs were not allowed in the marina bar. I would not be surprised if this has now changed.

I'd estimate that it's a mile - and mostly uphill! Going back to the boat is, of course, downhill, but by that time you've got full shopping bags to carry so it still seems just as far.

The town (village?) centre is attractive and has indeed a fair range of shops, so it's worth the trek.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Athy said:

I'd estimate that it's a mile - and mostly uphill! Going back to the boat is, of course, downhill, but by that time you've got full shopping bags to carry so it still seems just as far.

The town (village?) centre is attractive and has indeed a fair range of shops, so it's worth the trek.

Twenty mins there, fifteen back for us. It’s near enough for the excellent Chinese takeaway to still be hot back on board. Village has a good Indian restaurant and good chip shop as well. Couple of smart restaurants and choice of decent pubs. Reasonable shop, plus the marina sells some food and drink. Marina prices are reasonable. Staff are very helpful in marina, fuel sensibly prices. All in all as good as it gets for a marina mooring.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Athy said:

I'd estimate that it's a mile - and mostly uphill! Going back to the boat is, of course, downhill, but by that time you've got full shopping bags to carry so it still seems just as far.

The town (village?) centre is attractive and has indeed a fair range of shops, so it's worth the trek.

 

Wife and I are in our 60s and we stroll it, the slight slope is in the right direction - downhill coming back!

 

But if you are feeling particularly decrepit on occasion, there is a bus from the marina gate to the village.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ianali said:

We are winter mooring in Bosworth marina. It is lovely here. 

We keep wondering whether to move into our flat there, or keep it let. Trouble is the views residential boats....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Athy said:

I'd estimate that it's a mile - and mostly uphill! Going back to the boat is, of course, downhill, but by that time you've got full shopping bags to carry so it still seems just as far.

The town (village?) centre is attractive and has indeed a fair range of shops, so it's worth the trek.

That's because it is.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We bought our boat from Market Bosworth Marina, and kept it there for a few months before moving.  The marina is very exposed and it can get very windy. Our gangplank with various other bits attached to it blew off the rack on the roof. Fortunately there were no boats downwind of us, so no damage but we just had the problem of recovering it all. We secure all that with straps now, although as we now moor somewhere much less windy (Fazeley Mill Marina) we possibly don't need to, but better safe than sorry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Mike55 said:

That's because it is.

Of course, but downhill progress is normally quicker and easier than uphill ditto, creating the illusion of a shorter distance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.