Ashby and moorings?

Chas78

Featured Posts

10 hours ago, Jennifer McM said:

I'm not sure where Sutton Cheney is. Just wondering though if you realise the Ashby is closed starting from Bridge 6 onwards?

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notice/12937/bramcote-road-bridge-6-ashby-canal

Canal still open its the towpath that is closed if i have read it correctly? ;)

Edited by Chas78

The moorings i refer to are the ones just under bridge 34 down from the Sutton Cheney Canal Cafe if anyone knows these moorings?

5 hours ago, roland elsdon said:

Most  popular moorings on ashby are 48 hr 

other bits can be shallow. Loads of moorings at stoke golding many of which are shallow. I would not recommend leaving a car in the tempting layby between stoke golding and dadlington by the canal.

5 hours ago, roland elsdon said:

other bits can be shallow. Loads of moorings at stoke golding many of which are shallow. I would not recommend leaving a car in the tempting layby between stoke golding and dadlington by the canal.

Sutton Cheney has its own secured parking next to the Cafe.

Edited by Chas78

6 hours ago, roland elsdon said:

What’s wrong with the lay-by? 

We had trouble there twice  when we spent time  on the ashby , and commuted to work.

the first time they tried to break into the car, setting off the alarm . By the time i had got to the car they had gone, but the trim round the window was damaged. The second time was stupid vandalism to our other old car , which was left there overnite while we moved the boat. They threw the wheel trims in the canal and added scratches to the paint and broke the wipers. Dont know why i hadnt upset anyone.

its nearer nuneaton  than you would think, and while the villages are quite posh, nuneaton bedworth and hinkley have their share of problems.

4 hours ago, Chas78 said:

Where abouts did this happen exactly?

I believe Roland is talking of a lay-by on a bend, right next to the canal, 1/4 mile or so down from Stoke Golding. Obviously Roland has good reason to distrust this spot, however I will point out that I live close(house) and moor on the Ashby. Have moored and parked here many times without a problem. Of cause you never know when, or where trouble can happen.

52 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

Slightly off the Ashby, you could moor at Charity Dock, if there is room.

A scrapyard would not be everyone's idea of a nice mooring. It's a good place to go past and marvel at, but I wouldn't care to park there permanently. I might never find my boat again, apart from anything else.

is there road access to it? They never seem to advertise, so my knowledge of it is scant apart from realising that it was an ex-colliery loading basin.

7 minutes ago, Athy said:

A scrapyard would not be everyone's idea of a nice mooring. It's a good place to go past and marvel at, but I wouldn't care to park there permanently. I might never find my boat again, apart from anything else.

is there road access to it? They never seem to advertise, so my knowledge of it is scant apart from realising that it was an ex-colliery loading basin.

It was the first place we ever moored in 1989 having just bought the boat from a bloke at the side of the cut. Proper characters indeed. We were ony there a very short time but was interesting climbing over stuff to get to the boat lol.

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, mrsmelly said:

It was the first place we ever moored in 1989 having just bought the boat from a bloke at the side of the cut. Proper characters indeed. We were ony there a very short time but was interesting climbing over stuff to get to the boat lol.

It started going downhill after you left, eh?

Is it still in the same family? I have heard stories of the character who owned it (Joe?) but I would think he's passed away by now.

3 minutes ago, Athy said:

Is it still in the same family? I have heard stories of the character who owned it (Joe?) but I would think he's passed away by now.

It was just the same then lol. Cant remember who anyone was but both the missus and I have remarked over the years how nice they all were even though the aspect is somewhat shall we say strange!!

16 minutes ago, Athy said:

As we were passing we spoke to a character within Charity Dock and said we'd just seen them on a programme 'Cash in the Attic', and asked how the pig was (think it was a Gloucester Old Spot), the pig featured as a pet in the programme.

The guy replied that the pig had died. No words were needed, but a few old fashioned looks made us all laugh ??

As with all initial posts on this forum it has gone off the topic again anyway just to explain my initial post a little better my interest for moorings on the Ashby which i omitted to mention was for a friend not for me who has recently bought a narrowboat his first!! He wanted a safe mooring nearby and Ashby canal seemed the best bet but after looking at the moorings for him i would not recommend it ok this is only one part of the Ashby so can't vouch for the rest of it but Sutton Cheney is a no no as previous a scrapyard does come to mind one boat was even complete with a coffin on the roof:huh: