Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Kinver Canopies

Phone direction. Voip answering. What sounds nice.

Featured Posts

So, we've just had a new VOIP system.  Quick question to gauge an overall feeling.

In general what do people prefer

A message that says

A.

Hello thanks for calling Blarr, Please

Press 1. FOR CARD PAYMENTS (sounds like we are a large company and you go to a separate part of the company, in reality it only makes the phone nearest the card machine ring so we don't have to stretch the cable ;) )

Press 2 FOR ANY OTHER SERVICE

B.

Hello thanks for calling Blarr, Please

Press 1. FOR CARD PAYMENTS

or hold FOR ANY OTHER SERVICE

C.

Hello thanks for calling Blarr, Please hold to be connected.

Our phone providers have said by having the button number selection (A. and B.) at the beginning it stops a lot of cold calling ( we get a lot, sometimes the same person 3 times a day) as they hang up as soon as they hear it. But we are not sure if we like it.  

Your thoughts please

Good of you to ask our opinion.

Many of these systems raise my hackles, they keep you hanging listening to garbage whilst you decide what you need to do. And the call is costing all the time.

The briefest simplest message is the best in my opinion.  "Hello thanks for calling *******,  for card payments only press 1. Press any other number to speak with a human"

Marginal preference for option B because it is quicker. Not C unless there is nobody there, but presumably you have voicemail as well?

I would do something like the below...    It helps if the choices are difference voices, so say a male welcoming, female for payments and then the male for other enquires.   I wouldn't make payments your first choice as it makes you sound like that's more important than people phoning for general enquires so I would make that button 2, even though it's first in the announcement.   Keep the announcement short, and use "or" between the two so it doesn't sound like it's going to be a list of numbers, "please press" is unnecessary IMHO and just adds to the length.

Hello thank you for calling blah, press 2 for payments or 1 for other enquires.

3 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

Marginal preference for option B because it is quicker. Not C unless there is nobody there, but presumably you have voicemail as well?

If no one is around (can you logout of the phones on the VOIP system?), just have a welcome message and then please leave a message. don't do the options.

Edited by Robbo

A company I know of locally has set their system up so they can transfer 'unreasonable' callers to a looped recording of screaming monkeys.   

4 minutes ago, twbm said:

A company I know of locally has set their system up so they can transfer 'unreasonable' callers to a looped recording of screaming monkeys.   

We won't be doing that!...yet!

1 hour ago, Boater Sam said:

The briefest simplest message is the best in my opinion.  "Hello thanks for calling *******,  for card payments only press 1. Press any other number to speak with a human"

Yes, this is good - though I would prefer "speak to...."

41 minutes ago, Robbo said:

If no one is around (can you logout of the phones on the VOIP system?), just have a welcome message and then please leave a message. don't do the options.

Yep, they set up a night service.

Just now, Athy said:

Oh, yes I like speak to... you know you'll get human ;)

3 minutes ago, Athy said:

A speak to human option sounds like the payments option will be automated (although I've met people in accounts, so may be accurate).

Edited by Robbo

Right think I've got it!!!!

"Thanks for calling kinver Canopies. Some of our calls may be recorded for training purposes.

Please press

1. To speak to the person (normally vicki) who is nearest the card machine and can take your payment.

2.To speak to Ian who is stuck in the corner or

3. To try to speak with Scott who is probably out at a marina so you'll get stuck in a loop and eventually speak to Ian or Vicki.

Alternatively please send an email to [email protected] and he'll endevour to  reply, although at the moment he is trying to deal with a list of people phoning for Scott or trying to make payments as Vicki is not at work on Fridays." BEEEEEEP

• Haha 1

Just now, TheBiscuits said:

Of course you could just put the card machine on Ian's desk ...

Can't do that the Rj45 terminals are all by Vicki's...  I get the plotter and cutter by mine.

37 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Of course you could just put the card machine on Ian's desk ...

Yes please, but Kinver Canopies would soon be going bump if he did that!

I'm surprised you take so many calls and deal with so many sales per day that you need to use a sophisticated system, don't people just bring their boats to you to get them fitted with canopies,  and pay when the job is done?

If I am making a large,  or even a small customised purchase, I would want to make sure everything was done and dusted, delivered and  fitted, and I might want to pay by bank transfer. I don't particularly trust banks , they don't offer much protection and have been known to reverse transactions, and also lose internal transactions.

If I am in any doubt, or dealing with an unknown company, I pay with Paypal, who of course charge the vendor commission but give the purchaser quite a lot of protection. If I have to pay by cc or debit card for an item which has not been delivered and fitted to my satisfaction, then I would use a credit card as it affords better consumer protection. I'm not sure if that is better or worse for your cash flow, I assume it might be worse.

If I am dealing with a small company, on a thing where misunderstandings could occur, I would expect my dealings to be with one person from start to finish. It's not even like buying a mattress, if the wrong one gets delivered or for some reason does not fit, it can be sorted out, not the same with an ill fitting cratch cover or whatever.

The most annoying thing ever is to for the phone to be answered, by a machine, I then have to pay for all the time it take to get through to the person who is going to take my money, it's madness, I am on PAYG, no "free calls" I am buying something from a company who can absorb "costs" from their business before tax etc, when I, as a taxpayer, have already agreed to pay a certain sum for a certain item.

Business to business is different, I will tend to be dealing with a company on a regular basis, and overheads will include costs such as phone calls.

In general, and here I am thinking about dealing with brokers for example, I ask for confirmation by email of any important detail., or I will send them written confirmation of our conversation. I remember asking one if the boat was in their marina, yes she could see it from her office,  could they send me a photo of the engine hole and the electrics,  no they couldn't, I was welcome to come and look during their opening hours. Again, I might see something I like the look of but the spec is either wrong or not sufficiently detailed, and they tell me the details are on the website, I would not be asking for clarification if that were the case.

I know I sound like the customer from hell, but these  things happen every day, and they have all happened to me at some time or other :)

Edited by LadyG

4 hours ago, LadyG said:

I'm surprised you take so many calls and deal with so many sales per day that you need to use a sophisticated system, don't people just bring their boats to you to get them fitted with canopies,  and pay when the job is done?

Kinver Canopies are located on an industrial estate and are not canalside.

They come to you to measure up for and fit new cratch covers.

When I damaged mine I took it off the boat and out it in the car before driving over to them for a "while you wait" repair.

They were very accommodating, friendly and polite and excellent value.

• Happy 1

4 hours ago, LadyG said:

If I am making a large,  or even a small customised purchase, I would want to make sure everything was done and dusted, delivered and  fitted, and I might want to pay by bank transfer. I don't particularly trust banks , they don't offer much protection and have been known to reverse transactions, and also lose internal transactions.

If I am in any doubt, or dealing with an unknown company, I pay with Paypal, who of course charge the vendor commission but give the purchaser quite a lot of protection. If I have to pay by cc or debit card for an item which has not been delivered and fitted to my satisfaction, then I would use a credit card as it affords better consumer protection. I'm not sure if that is better or worse for your cash flow, I assume it might be worse.

If I am dealing with a small company, on a thing where misunderstandings could occur, I would expect my dealings to be with one person from start to finish. It's not even like buying a mattress, if the wrong one gets delivered or for some reason does not fit, it can be sorted out, not the same with an ill fitting cratch cover or whatever.

The most annoying thing ever is to for the phone to be answered, by a machine, I then have to pay for all the time it take to get through to the person who is going to take my money, it's madness, I am on PAYG, no "free calls" I am buying something from a company who can absorb "costs" from their business before tax etc, when I, as a taxpayer, have already agreed to pay a certain sum for a certain item.

Business to business is different, I will tend to be dealing with a company on a regular basis, and overheads will include costs such as phone calls.

In general, and here I am thinking about dealing with brokers for example, I ask for confirmation by email of any important detail., or I will send them written confirmation of our conversation. I remember asking one if the boat was in their marina, yes she could see it from her office,  could they send me a photo of the engine hole and the electrics,  no they couldn't, I was welcome to come and look during their opening hours. Again, I might see something I like the look of but the spec is either wrong or not sufficiently detailed, and they tell me the details are on the website, I would not be asking for clarification if that were the case.

I know I sound like the customer from hell, but these  things happen every day, and they have all happened to me at some time or other :)

In the nicest way, I don’t think Kinver Canopies are going to have to worry about accommodating your needs as a customer for some time :) 

Some customers want to phone up and pay by card over the phone. Ian is trying to accommodate that. He is wondering whether it would be better for the phone to be answered by a human, then transferred to the right desk, or whether a simple message and a single button press would be better, in order to get the call to the right desk before it’s answered.

i like to be able to pay by bank transfer. It happens when it’s convenient to me. No holding on the phone, or leaving a message, or calling back later. I also like PayPal for some reason... a few clicks, rather than lots. I don’t know what PayPal charge companies the size of Kinver.

• Happy 1