Bukh DV36 'radiator cap'

Clodi

Featured Posts

can anyone tell me the correct pressure for the water-tank cap please?

mine is too manky to see any details, I've stuck a spare radiator cap I had kicking around in my toolbox which i think is off an old fergi tractor I used to have , rated at 5lbs which will do for now as I'm not really going anywhere.

40 minutes ago, Clodi said:

can anyone tell me the correct pressure for the water-tank cap please?

mine is too manky to see any details, I've stuck a spare radiator cap I had kicking around in my toolbox which i think is off an old fergi tractor I used to have , rated at 5lbs which will do for now as I'm not really going anywhere.

Great engine I had one on a previous boat. Tony Brooks has one on his boat he will deffo know send him a pm in case he misses this thread,

Mine is a direct raw water cooled engine running with a skin tank so unpressurised. My DV36/48 manual is absolutely silent on the pressure cap rating but I am sure T W Marine at High Peak will know an are very helpful.

I suspect more or less any pressure will do from zero to maybe 15 psi  but if you want to change it for any reason other than rusted spring or damaged seal you may do better to tell us what the problem is.

The old one is both damaged seal and very rusty spring so just time for a new one. I have a photo copy of the manual and as you say there's no mention. I'll call T W I find them very helpful.

Thanks

I am not aware that and have seen no indication that these engines suffer localised boiling under load despite chasing my DV36 down the Thames on yellow boards from Reading to Teddington in about 18 hours and up the tidal Trent for two spells of 60 hours or so at 2000 RPM. Its localised boiling under power that demands a pressurised cooling system so I am sure you 5 or 6 PSI cap will be fine.