Advice re servicing intervals

Nick D

Featured Posts

I have booked a service for 11th Feb but now find that we are free the week before and would like to go out for a short winter cruise. The problem is that we are already slightly over our recommended service interval hours of 250 by about 30 and might add another 50hours if we go out before the service on the 11th.  Do you think this would matter too much?  Changing the dates is not an option.  

7 minutes ago, Nick D said:

I have booked a service for 11th Feb but now find that we are free the week before and would like to go out for a short winter cruise. The problem is that we are already slightly over our recommended service interval hours of 250 by about 30 and might add another 50hours if we go out before the service on the 11th.  Do you think this would matter too much?  Changing the dates is not an option.  

No. It wont matter. Providing your oil is regularily changed there is no way another 100 hours canal chugging is going to do any damage.

12 minutes ago, Boaty Jo said:

Is it a new engine? Within warranty?

If so then it may affect the warranty, but you're over anyway.

If not, I would just ensure that the oil is up to the mark, the belts look OK and the cooling water level is OK

Remember, an awful lot of boats have no hours run gauges/meters at all and the owners service when they think it is due, or often not at all!

Its common for a boat only to be serviced maybe once a year regardless of hours run, they don't seem to suffer much.

Diesel engines are robust beasts, they only demand oil, water and fuel to keep going.

listen for any change in engine behavior, we notice on our lister lpws4 (100 hours between oil changes) that as we get over about 85 hours the engine stops holding revs at certain speeds

under 85 hours it will hold any speed selected

over 85 hours it will surge slightly at 1400 rpm (up to 1425 down to 1375 continuously)

engine oil level doesn't change at all over the time between changes as long as the oil filter is tight (yes we made this mistake)

Edited by Jess--

Over the years (on this forum alone) there have been a number of examples of Lister's (LPWS3's and 4s) that have had catastrophic failures at around the 120 hours (100 hour recommended oil change)

It can be increased by using the larger filter option but I was always carefully watching 'the clock' and changing the oil and filter at around 95-100 hours.

I always carried 25 litres of oil and 3 or 4 filters on board as 100 hours was roughly once a month.

At 12,000 hours the LPSW4 didn't smoke at all and didn't use or lose a drop of oil.

I bought a complete spare marinized LWPS4 engine and gearbox for the day it gave-up but it never did, - sold the boat and the spare engine & gearbox still sits in my shed.

So much for the legendary durability and ruggedness of Listers! 100 hours is really a very brief interval between oil changes.

Our engine gets new oil and filters every year whether it needs them or not.

17 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Not oil though,  eh? Now milk, that'd be good for you... He said "You want it pasteurised, 'cos pasteurised is best."

No, up to me tits will do...

Am I allowed to say tits?  They’s just a little bird...

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Over the years (on this forum alone) there have been a number of examples of Lister's (LPWS3's and 4s) that have had catastrophic failures at around the 120 hours (100 hour recommended oil change)

It can be increased by using the larger filter option but I was always carefully watching 'the clock' and changing the oil and filter at around 95-100 hours.

I always carried 25 litres of oil and 3 or 4 filters on board as 100 hours was roughly once a month.

At 12,000 hours the LPSW4 didn't smoke at all and didn't use or lose a drop of oil.

I bought a complete spare marinized LWPS4 engine and gearbox for the day it gave-up but it never did, - sold the boat and the spare engine & gearbox still sits in my shed.

I also carry enough oil for a service and filters. buy them 6 at a time and take them straight to the boat, also spare belts for the engine/alternators,

Thanks all for your comments and the answer is what I was hoping for. Tbh, I think we will be averaging about 400 hours a year made up of several 3/4 week cruises and I was hoping to have a service every year rather than every 250 hours as this inevitably falls mid cruise or I end up having one service under the recommended timescale and one over. Doing it once a year is much simpler and from what you have said that should be ok?

2 minutes ago, Nick D said:

Thanks all for your comments and the answer is what I was hoping for. Tbh, I think we will be averaging about 400 hours a year made up of several 3/4 week cruises and I was hoping to have a service every year rather than every 250 hours as this inevitably falls mid cruise or I end up having one service under the recommended timescale and one over. Doing it once a year is much simpler and from what you have said that should be ok?

That is not a decision I wold come to. Why not do the oil and filter change yourself

1 minute ago, ditchcrawler said:

That is not a decision I wold come to. Why not do the oil and filter change yourself

I agree.

Extending the time from 250 to 400 hrs is ok now and again and wont adversely affect the engine but you should normally do it every 250 hrs. It takes less than 30 mins to change the oil so you can easily do it when out and about, a hour or two after you finish your daily cruise so the oil is nice and warm. It is soooooooo easy to do. Even a muppet can do it.

• Greenie 1