Electric Oven

gary955

Featured Posts

We've recently refiitted our galley including a domestic gas oven (jetted for lpg) It's rubbish! It won't maintain a steady temp and there's a wide temp differential between the top and bottom. Despite nice blue flames there's also a bit of CO when in use (about 20ppm) and it requires 240v anyway to run it's case cooling fan as its built in

I'd rather go electric, we're often in marinas with power available, and when not have a Kipor 2600 suitcase genny. Some cheap ovens have a 2kw element which I'm assuming would be ok for the genny  but there are many replacement elements available for electric ovens some as low as 1700w.

Anyone run a domestic oven off a suitcase genny with success?

Do you really want to pull out a genny for when cooking ya tea?   What about a additional combi microwave instead, so you can have best and worst of both worlds.   I have a decent flatbed combi microwave which seems okay, but I'm no cook.

Edited by Robbo

2 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Are suggestions for alternative, non-rubbish lpg ovens acceptable? An electric one would be costly to run from a generator, both for petrol and generator wear. Also need to finish cooking by 8pm.

Jen

And no early morning bacon butties (before 8:00 am) unless you keep a gas grill.

• Horror 1

We'd cook before 8 and only use the oven occasionally anyway so I don't really mind dragging the genny out for the odd occasion. We tend to use the oven for an hour only so fuel for the genny won't really be an issue....but yes, suggestions for a non rubbish built in 600mm gas oven would be most welcome as the best solution 

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

And no early morning bacon butties (before 8:00 am) unless you keep a gas grill.

A frying pan or a lay in both seem like acceptable solutions for that one

17 minutes ago, gary955 said:

We'd cook before 8 and only use the oven occasionally anyway so I don't really mind dragging the genny out for the odd occasion. We tend to use the oven for an hour only so fuel for the genny won't really be an issue....but yes, suggestions for a non rubbish built in 600mm gas oven would be most welcome as the best solution 

We ran a commercial restaurant using a calor gas cooker / oven and did everything from Wedding receptions, Funerals and Sunday lunches quite successfully.

You can get good LPG ovens but they are costly - the one we have on our 'Lumpy-water' boat is as good, if not better, than our current domestic oven, but be prepared to pay well over £1000 for one.

At the end of the day, you get what you pay for.

Have a look at some of the marine Chandlers for ideas.

http://www.sailingtoday.co.uk/gear/new-gear/marine-cookers/

Edited by Alan de Enfield

8 minutes ago, gary955 said:

Mine is integrated in to the free standing stove, so can't offer a suggestion. New World and cooks well with little temperature stratification.

5 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

We ran a commercial restaurant using a calor gas cooker / oven and did everything from Wedding receptions, Funerals and Sunday lunches quote successfully.

You can get good LPG ovens but they are costly - the one we have on our 'Lumpy-water' boat is as good, if not better, than our current domestic oven, but be prepared to pay well over £1000 for one.

Funerals ?? Cremations ?

20171104_151833.jpg.4eaf8962b22be0f4f08aa8553a4f9869.jpg

11 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Mine is integrated in to the free standing stove, so can't offer a suggestion. New World and cooks well with little temperature stratification.

Yeah I have one of those on my Narrow boat, its brilliant and cooks perfectly. 

Thanks for the link Alan but it must be full size domestic single oven to replace the existing one

Edited by gary955

3 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

We ran a commercial restaurant using a calor gas cooker / oven and did everything from Wedding receptions, Funerals and Sunday lunches quite successfully.

Ditto. We had a pub all heating and cooking was on lpg, a very very busy pub with swmbo cooking hundreds/thousands of meals per week entirely on lpg cooking appliances. I have also had domestic stuff which I have re jetted my self to run on the boats lpg supply. I think the OP has been unlucky with his choice of appliance?

22 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I think the OP has been unlucky with his choice of appliance?

Agreed. A large heat gradient within the oven has little to do with the heat source and lots to do with insulation, I would have thought. 

11 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Agreed. A large heat gradient within the oven has little to do with the heat source and lots to do with insulation, I would have thought. 

And having a 240v fan running would suggest it may not have been an ideal choice in the first place. 

I have a Baumatic gas oven on my boat. I very rarely use it as I have a combi-microwave and mains hook-up. I've just used it tonight for the first time in more than a year and all seems well. It's standard 600mm domestic oven with lpg jets and flame failure devices. 

Is the OP using propane? Butane would likely cause poor performance in cold temperatures. 

3 minutes ago, blackrose said:

I really think going electric is a mistake.

I don’t believe there’s any doubt about that. There was a poster on here a couple of years back, insisting that he’d have an electric oven & hob, and we didn’t know what we were talking about. I stumbled over his blog a couple of months ago where he admitted it was a mistake...

Well, unless you have a proper built-in cocooned marine diesel generator that you can start from inside the boat then you don't really have a convenient, safe power supply. Petrol generators are ok, I have one myself, but I wouldn't want to have to mess about with jerry cans, cables, refuel and start the thing up just to put something in the oven.

Edited by blackrose