Flue Supplies

Martin_B

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Martin_B said:

Thanks Alan, that is really interesting and significant and is the complete opposite of what an apparent expert told me. So it seems that as long as you don’t puff out offensive black smoke then, as far as the Clean Air Act is concerned, your stove doesn’t need to be DEFRA SE compliant.

And there is a definition of 'black smoke' and its not really what you are likely to put out if you re using 'smokeless'

Glad to be able to help.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

20 hours ago, Martin_B said:

It would make life much simpler to go with a single skin flue but the stove I'm going for is DEFRA SE and SIA Eco compliant and from what I understand, in order to achieve this the fire and flue gases must remain hot (I'm happy to be corrected) thus improving the level of combustion and reducing the particulate count. Mines a new build sailaway so I've got the opportunity to install what should be future proofed past 2022 which is when (I believe) the new regulations come in for new stove emissions.

Will the new regs apply to boats? I thought they only apply to houses?

Edit: Sorry didn't read all the replies

Edited by blackrose

6 hours ago, Stilllearning said:

There are even more extreme versions,

https://www.ebay.ph/itm/log-burner-flue-pipechimney-radiator-heat-exchanger/201764542562?hash=item2efa1a9862

and ways to make hot water

I'm not sure that redneck really understands the principals of heat transfer. Yes you'll get some heat from the flue into the water inside the copper pipe but it will be highly inefficient because thermal transfer is restricted by having to cross from the steel to the copper. The actual contact area between the flue and copper pipe is very narrow - the majority of copper pipe in proximity to the flue is separated by air.

Much better to take your hot water from the stove's backboiler or if you really want to use the flue then something like this which is the same thing but inside the flue fully immersed in the flue gases. Not sure how it would be affected by a build up of soot. I suppose it would just need regular sweeping. Having separate sections of flue inside the boat might be another issue. It's safer to have a single length.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F112934099068

Edited by blackrose