Viewing boats for sale on Warwickshire Ring

Mick in Bangkok

Featured Posts

7 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

These replies led me to have a browse through some boats for sale (we all do it, don't we?).  I saw this http://rugbyboats.co.uk/listings/olivia-reverse-layout-57-trad-2003/

Quite a nice boat, but this line in the advert caught my eye:  "The current owner has only had her 3 weeks but has decided boating is not for him".  And that's a warning to all those thinking of buying a boat.  Make sure you actually like boating first!  3 weeks!  £58,000!  I can only assume he picked up the boat and went on a cruise having never taken a boat out before?  At least he had the sense to cut his losses and sell.  I suspect that many of the boats languishing in marinas and boatyards, and never even visited, are caused by this, but the owner is too proud to admit his mistake.

That's interesting. I have said to many people who say they are thinking of buying and living aboard and as ask what its like. Every reply they will get on forums will be its great, because those that don't like it are not here to tell the tale, they have left losing often quite a bit of cash. I have met boaters on hire boats who have turned round and taken the boat back. Met one American lady who was walking the canal for a week because she couldn't stand being on the hire boat but the others were enjoying it.

17 minutes ago, Sally Grim said:

2 ft 6 each - loads extra space!

Technically I suppose because you get to use the area under the gunwhale on both sides.

But I'm done boat-buying for years to come. We used over a year researching, before buying. I won't be doing that again soon!  :)

They look narrower than that but assuming you're right, your maths is a bit off.  Two beds measuring 2'6" makes for a total width of 5'0".  So a foot wider than your double.  This makes for a foot less space.  I've never seen a narrowboat with a 12" wide gunwhale to make up the difference.

17 minutes ago, Sally Grim said:

Technically I suppose because you get to use the area under the gunwhale on both sides.

But I'm done boat-buying for years to come. We used over a year researching, before buying. I won't be doing that again soon!  :)

They look narrower than that but assuming you're right, your maths is a bit off.  Two beds measuring 2'6" makes for a total width of 5'0".  So a foot wider than your double.  This makes for a foot less space.  I've never seen a narrowboat with a 12" wide gunwhale to make up the difference.

33 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

They look narrower than that but assuming you're right, (....) 

I took the measurement off the layout-drawing. But naturally I have no idea how accurate it is, never having seen the Boat. 

As to maths, you are right that the gunwhales doesn't make up all of it, of course. 

1 hour ago, Sally Grim said:

2.5 * 2 = 5 > 4

10 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

I'm confused now.  Did you mean space in the boat, space to get past the beds, space in the beds, or storage space?

I just meant that two 2'6 beds equals 5 ft total. Which is wider than one 4 ft bed.  No further implications. 

Edited by Sally Grim

12 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

I can't quite work out who would want that.  2 skinny singles which are a bit close for just friends.  If you make it into a double, it blocks the doorway.

It would be good arrangement for a male  separated with two children who spend most of the time with their mother 

9 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

Was that a double posting or two singles? 

• Haha 1

On 11/01/2019 at 21:40, DandV said:

It would be good arrangement for a male  separated with two children who spend most of the time with their mother 

You may have a slightly different definition of "good" to me. I fit your proposed target market - my boat has a second cabin with bunks, I definitely wouldn't have bought that.