Viewing boats for sale on Warwickshire Ring

Mick in Bangkok

Featured Posts

Hi everyone,

I am just in the planning stages of my hire boat trip on the Warwickshire Ring and am interested in learning of boats and brokers on or around the ring that can be accessed while cruising. The holiday is to get a feel for boats prior to a canal retirement plan so also interested in viewing some boats for sale at the same time.

Cheers Michael  

Welcome...…………………..

If you literally mean "accessed from the boat as you cruise" sadly this isn't going to work well - these days most brokers are not like car showrooms they tend to sell boats from their moorings or from a base - there are very few where you will be able to hop off your boat and look and more particularly where you will be able to view more than one or two a day without detailed appointments.

My advice is DONT spoil your holiday but allow for a couple of days either side with a hire car particularly to view the "Braunston triangle" taking in ABNB/Whilton/Rugby/Tollhouse/Weltonfield/Braunston all of whom are in close proximity.

We ALL started somewhere where you just want to look and gain ideas from touching and feeling actual boats and our internet based world doesn't help that - IMHO if you are completely new a day spent in the triangle is the only way to start ....................Whilton has a great café as does Braunston (just down the road) 

Have fun

Edited by Halsey
  • Greenie 3

How about using the time to look at the owned boats you pass, moor up with, share locks with, queue at locks with. Talk to people. Keep notes. If people know you're wanting to settle on a spec that will suit you and your needs, they'll be only too happy to tell you why their's is exactly the right sort of boat - and if you're pleasant and interested and let them talk - probably invite you on board for a look!

Looking at boats for sale is what you do when you've a pretty good idea what it is you're after.

Good luck!!

Edited by Jo_
spelling!

3 hours ago, Mick in Bangkok said:

Hi everyone,

I am just in the planning stages of my hire boat trip on the Warwickshire Ring and am interested in learning of boats and brokers on or around the ring that can be accessed while cruising. The holiday is to get a feel for boats prior to a canal retirement plan so also interested in viewing some boats for sale at the same time.

Cheers Michael  

Next to top lock at Glascote

http://www.nortoncanesboatbuilders.co.uk/home/index.php/boats-for-sale

Tim

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, Halsey said:

Missed that one - they often have good honest mid-range stuff and are v good people to deal with good facilities and a nice mooring environment.

Yes, I know it's a great place to moor - we moor there! ? Just didn't know what they are like as brokers.

• Happy 1

These replies led me to have a browse through some boats for sale (we all do it, don't we?).  I saw this http://rugbyboats.co.uk/listings/olivia-reverse-layout-57-trad-2003/

Quite a nice boat, but this line in the advert caught my eye:  "The current owner has only had her 3 weeks but has decided boating is not for him".  And that's a warning to all those thinking of buying a boat.  Make sure you actually like boating first!  3 weeks!  £58,000!  I can only assume he picked up the boat and went on a cruise having never taken a boat out before?  At least he had the sense to cut his losses and sell.  I suspect that many of the boats languishing in marinas and boatyards, and never even visited, are caused by this, but the owner is too proud to admit his mistake.

37 minutes ago, Mike Hurley said:

In the video on Rugbys site i think James said the guy bought it and spent 3 or 4 nights aboard and decided boats were not for him. 58K to find out that mistake, i guess there are a lot of people like that out there.

Maybe it was the weird bed arrangement?

2 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

How do 2 singles take up less space?  Maybe Olivia is your perfect boat?

2 ft 6 each - loads extra space!

Technically I suppose because you get to use the area under the gunwhale on both sides.

But I'm done boat-buying for years to come. We used over a year researching, before buying. I won't be doing that again soon!  :)