River Great Ouse in winter

MichaelG

Featured Posts

20 hours ago, PaulJ said:

Lol. They do. But its definetely  not tomatoes- I believe its either  one of or the biggest grower of (medicinal) cannabis..?

Saw a crane flying overhead last time I was on there together with a massive terrapin somewhere near where that photo was taken.

Strange, we have a lake in our marina and a massive terrapin has been spotted in it, can't be the same one though as it's too far. 

Phil

Ref Mildenhall, sadly for the local economy the base is earmark for closure in the next couple of years, the traffic does consist of mainly tankers plus some fast jets and of course the Osprey along with a few Apaches.

Traffic seems heavy because a lot of the transport and tankers do a lot of circuits and bumps just to keep their hand in.

Reminds me of when I was due to fly home from Shannon, driving to the airport I was amazed at how many Jumbos were landing and taking off. 

When I got nearer it proved to be just one........ doing circuits and bumps  LOL ?

Phil

6 hours ago, Phil Ambrose said:

Fascinating to watch them swing the rotors to switch from vertical to horizontal, consider myself lucky to be able watch them operating. 

(Keep expecting to see Alice)

Phil

Use to see them when we were that way but never saw one swing

1 hour ago, WotEver said:

Isn’t that rather how they work?

Well no not in the case of Riverside Island Marina. The moorings are in a narrow basin, in a couple diches/dykes and along the riverbank. As the name of the place indicates it is an island.

The lake is reached by a rather tight shallow arm which leads to a lake, around the lake are lodge homes and are all privately owned. Off the lake and the arm leading to it are arms along which are more lodge homes .

The lake is only used by boats too long to turn in the basin. Of course the lodge owners do use it to moor their boats but the marina and the lodges are separate entities and thus the use of the lake is granted just for turning purposes  

Phil