Fazeley Mill

Laurie Booth

Featured Posts

We used to be there under the old regime and it was a VERY good cruising location as well as good for shops motorways trains etc  I suppose the only worry with ABC is what they will do to the charges fuel costs etc as they aren't reputed to be the cheapest or the most relaxed operator on the system.

Edited by Halsey

Nothing has changed so far, except having to sign new mooring contracts. We are assured that there is no intention to put hire boats there.

It will remain to be seen what happens to prices etc. FMM was always pretty cheap for diesel but that may change.

We still like it there.

I'm also at FMM, although not a live aboard. ABC have a mooring 'year' that runs from October to September, rather than the anniversary of your arrival. The new mooring agreement requires us to give 16 weeks notice rather than the current 1 month. I too quite like the relaxed atmosphere there, although there are clearly going to be more changes to come.

4 hours ago, Laurie.Booth said:

Hi, I thinking of moving my boat to  Fazeley Mill marina.

Anyone from there on this forum or were there with the new management?

PM me if you want.

:)

A bit of a run from there for the BCN Challenge.  Nice lock free run to Fradley Junction. 

You’d find it dead easy to get to, just off the M42. 

Fazeley has plenty of takeaways for you. 

The people (boaters and staff) at the marina are very friendly, plus it’s a secure site. 

The Coventry Canal is good to explore if you haven’t already. And you’re lock free to Fradley 

The marina doesn’t have a club house though, if that’s important. 

Have you considered Ashwood marina?

Lovely little club house there. 

Mooring was tight for space when I was there. 

Edited by Goliath
Correct my spelling of Fazeley

I have to say this having had a temporary mooring there once a few years ago. 

It is a real bitch getting in out out with those massive long pontoons, you have to reverse past a good number of boats getting glared for for daring to be moving a boat (at least that is what it felt like).  Of course if you are right on the end of the pontoon it is much easier to get in and out, but a heck of a walk from the car to the boat down the pontoon.

It is a good location though, and seemed secure.

Just now, john6767 said:

It is a real bitch getting in out out with those massive long pontoons, you have to reverse past a good number of boats getting glared for for daring to be moving a boat (at least that is what it felt like).  Of course if you are right on the end of the pontoon it is much easier to get in and out, but a heck of a walk from the car to the boat down the pontoon.

Yes the pontoons are long and the manoeuvring gap is not that big. We are 1 boat along from the gate so we have to pass about 6 or 7 boats (each side) to “escape”. However, this has never been a problem, nobody has glared at us and why should they? We take the boat out nearly every time we visit and whilst there are a lot of boats that never seem to move, it has caused no problems in the 8 years we’ve been there.

I reverse in and drive out. Although I have done the reversing in “solo” quite often, it is of course better to have someone on the bow deck to fend off when reversing. But once I am “in the slot” it’s pretty easy.

It has to be said that Jeff doesn’t like to take the boat out on its own, or if he does he tends to drive fwds in on return (so the boat is wrong way round and needs the long power lead). But it’s not a big deal.

We had a short term mooring there this summer and we found the staff and boaters very pleasant. It is, compared with the mega-marinas, quite small and this perhaps helps. It is a good location - the nearest station is  a bit of a hike (20 minutes IIRC) but level and doable.

I understand about the issue of getting in to some of the pontoons as we were accommodated close to the far end! However, we were fortunate to arrive on a windless day (but it is quite sheltered anyway) and opted to reverse in, for a quicker getaway at the end. There were several boaters on the lookout for entertainment but, sadly for them, I failed to provide it! Was one of my better reversings onto moorings (not all are like that!) Some did grudgingly admit being impressed.

If it was where we wanted to break, I'd happily go back there again although I hope that ABC to not over institionalise it, but there were obvious areas in which some improvement could be made, with investment. It happened that the announcement came whilst we were there, with an interesting conversation with the office staff person!

I alwaya found it easier to reverse out, but only having 48’ boat it’s not a big issue. 

My only irritation (and a minor one) was; arriving by car and having to pull up get out of the car and unlock the main gates, drive through , then relock the main gates, park up, then do several walk journeys to unload the boot, having to unlock the other gate and relock each time I went through. 

20 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Yes the pontoons are long and the manoeuvring gap is not that big. We are 1 boat along from the gate so we have to pass about 6 or 7 boats (each side) to “escape”. However, this has never been a problem, nobody has glared at us and why should they? We take the boat out nearly every time we visit and whilst there are a lot of boats that never seem to move, it has caused no problems in the 8 years we’ve been there.

I reverse in and drive out. Although I have done the reversing in “solo” quite often, it is of course better to have someone on the bow deck to fend off when reversing. But once I am “in the slot” it’s pretty easy.

It has to be said that Jeff doesn’t like to take the boat out on its own, or if he does he tends to drive fwds in on return (so the boat is wrong way round and needs the long power lead). But it’s not a big deal.

Yes we reversed in, and Sally was on the bow to stop it slewing into the boats, I think we were 2 boats between us and the far end.  I only said it felt like they were glaring, I suspect is was more the novelty of a moving boat!  I know Laurie's boat is quite short so the long reverse is less of a big deal, but it is a consideration, so though it worth mentioning.

1 minute ago, Goliath said:

I alwaya found it easier to reverse out, but only having 48’ boat it’s not a big issue. 

My only irritation (and a minor one) was; arriving by car and having to pull up get out of the car and unlock the main gates, drive through , then relock the main gates, park up, then do several walk journeys to unload the boot, having to unlock the other gate and relock each time I went through. 

I had forgot about the two sets of gates, but it does I guess make it more secure.

Main gate is now electric. You phone the number, the gate opens. Or press the code buttons on the panel. However when leaving, the panel is on the left which makes doing it from the car rather difficult (unless you have a passenger). So phoning the gate is the answer.

Pontoon gates are still a padlock but with a bit of luck that is something ABC might change.

55 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Main gate is now electric. You phone the number, the gate opens. Or press the code buttons on the panel. However when leaving, the panel is on the left which makes doing it from the car rather difficult (unless you have a passenger). So phoning the gate is the answer.

Pontoon gates are still a padlock but with a bit of luck that is something ABC might change.

Is Jackie still there?

she’d just got her new office when I left (nov ‘16)

Wow everyone

Thanks for the information, seems to be 90% good for us.

Takeaways very important, reversing is always a problem for my boat but at the moment at Lady Lane, I'm moored on the arm which is a real pain. Electric hook up will be a fantastic thing for us.

The BCN challenge will be a problem

:(

Thanks once again, I'll contact the marina.

3 hours ago, Goliath said:

When were there the gate to the car park, opposite end from office, had a key pad which could be operated from the car whilst on exit it opened automatically. One of the shortest distances to port between car and boat.

2 hours ago, Goliath said:

Is Jackie still there?

she’d just got her new office when I left (nov ‘16)

Yes she’s still there.

1 hour ago, Laurie.Booth said:

Wow everyone

Thanks for the information, seems to be 90% good for us.

Takeaways very important, reversing is always a problem for my boat but at the moment at Lady Lane, I'm moored on the arm which is a real pain. Electric hook up will be a fantastic thing for us.

The BCN challenge will be a problem

:(

Thanks once again, I'll contact the marina.

If you are thinking of cruising from Lady Lane to FMM in the near future, don’t forget that Broad St bridge is closed until 15th March.

5 hours ago, john6767 said:

We have been at three marinas, each for at least a year, since we have had our present boat. Aston, Mercia and Alvecote.

All have had their pros and cons and each would probably appeal to different tastes but at least they have all been straight forward to enter and exit with a 70' boat.

The thing is that once you are “inserted” into the gap between the two rows of boats, there is only one way to go, and the other boats shelter you from any wind. So as reversing goes, it’s pretty easy. I don’t think it makes any difference whether you are 70’ or 59’ as we are, once you are in the slot. And it is generally fairly sheltered from the wind unlike the other marinas you mention.